It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists petition congress for return to Moon

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

theMediator
I'm not saying I dislike the idea of going in space but seriously, I feel we have more pressing matters.

Such as?

Name a pressing matter and I can name a reason why an increased budget for space can help.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I don't know but did we not got warned to stay off the moon?

edit on 0b07America/ChicagoMon, 23 Dec 2013 18:17:07 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoMon, 23 Dec 2013 18:17:07 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

theMediator
I'm not saying I dislike the idea of going in space but seriously, I feel we have more pressing matters.
I feel that we are not advanced and focused enough to attempt successfully to colonize outside of this planet.

However, I can't say I wouldn't be glad if, by magic, every country in the world suddenly decided to fund space exploration and research instead of the military...

Your jokeing right?

Its not about exploration its about explotation! There are vast quanties of resources up there. Who ever gets them first becomes the next super power! Plus with a abundance of resources it will solve a few issues down here.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Men have not been to the moon, only rovers. And it's only gonna be rovers. It's possible that one day man will walk on the moon but so far it's still way out of reach.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

webedoomed
reply to post by JadeStar

No assumption necessary. There are many scientists working on this as we speak! We're still years off from any of that H3 coming back to Earth no matter how fast we push the project through.

Right, but the joke is that fusion is the power source of the future and always will be. That is of course not accurate. We'll have fusion before 2050 but then again we were supposed to have it by 2000, 2020, 2030.

I'd be willing to bet we'll have it around 2050 due to ITER.

It's inevitable, and more important than simply establishing a permanent base to build ships or what have you. Yes, that will happen alongside, but seriously, H3 is far more important. We gotta get our own house in order before anything else.

Like I said, I'd be more interested in that H3 being used to power other space infrastructure and interplanetary ships than sending it back to earth. There are plenty of other ways to get energy from space that don't involve shipping H3 back.

I don't think any of this will actually happen, if anyone has bothered to read my recent posts. Still, I think it must be attempted.
edit on 23-12-2013 by webedoomed because: (no reason given)

I think it will happen. It sort of has to happen or we're doomed long term. I don't believe in gloom and doom. One thing humanity is is resilient. We always seem to find a way out of our looming predicaments. H3, fusion, solar power satellites, space colonization etc are inevitable for the simple reason that if we can do something, eventually we do it.
edit on 23-12-2013 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Who needs a new Apollo program? These guys will take you there as a private corporation:

goldenspikecompany.com...

# # #
About Golden Spike: The Golden Spike Company (GSC) is a US-based commercial space company incorporated in 2010 with the objective of providing human exploration expeditions to the Moon for counties, corporations, and individuals in the 2020s. Golden Spike was named after the ceremonial final spike that joined the rails of the first transcontinental railroad across the United States on May 10, 1869, and opened up the North American frontier to new opportunities. Similarly, Golden Spike plans to break new ground and create an enduring link to the lunar frontier, providing regular and reliable expeditions to the Moon at prices comparable to flagship scientific robotic missions. For more information, go to www.goldenspikecompany.com.

About Honeybee Robotics: Honeybee Robotics develops advanced robotic and electromechanical systems that operate in challenging environments in space and on Earth. The company serves as a research and development partner to help solve its customers’ unmet needs with robotic systems that extend and enhance capabilities in extreme and unstructured environments. Since 1983, Honeybee Robotics has completed more than 300 advanced projects for NASA, the US Department of Defense, academia, and industry. Based in New York, the company maintains satellite offices in Longmont, CO and Pasadena, CA. For more go to: www.honeybeerobotics.com....

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I just want to mention about the military subtext that will no doubt attach itself to this kind of operation.

‘I could imagine what would happen. You know, the first fusion reactors kick off and you need all this Helium-3. China launches a mission to Moon to come back with as much Helium-3 as it can so the US does the same and the Russians do the same, and then they start squabbling over what’s the best bit. And then the Russians will claim half the north pole of the Moon and the Chinese the south pole and the Americans the equator, and then the British will go: ‘We want to build a spaceship as well.’ And you can just see how it’s going to work out,’ says Genge.
Plans to strip the Moon

I may have gloomy outlook on this but it is the conditioned response after witnessing so many governmental enterprises flounder. If humanity is to survive then it needs to get out of this galaxy before the Sun calls time out.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
there is a reason why man didnt go to the moon anymore...
i'm not so sure if i wanna spoil it.
go see some interviews of them NASA astronauts.. and interviews of them NASA guys who worked with moon related stuff... they have it.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Tindalos2013

I may have gloomy outlook on this but it is the conditioned response after witnessing so many governmental enterprises flounder. If humanity is to survive then it needs to get out of this galaxy before the Sun calls time out.

The Milky Way galaxy is 100,000 light years across. Our solar system is one star of billions within it.

I believe you mean our solar system, not galaxy.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

spartacus699
Men have not been to the moon, only rovers. And it's only gonna be rovers. It's possible that one day man will walk on the moon but so far it's still way out of reach.

So you are saying the men we sent were actually ROBOTS

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

I can't believe the moon landings were all fake. Ive heard this story that they went to the moon and what they encountered was something mankind couldn't possibly comprehend. So after coming back they staged this whole moon landing footage within the studio to not show us what was really there..

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I just wrote you a huge reply, and it was lost in translation or something. ..

Meh, I'll just leave it that I agree that we must, but that doesn't mean we will.

Hopefully you're correct and I'm incorrect. We'll see.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

Good job I don't work for NASA.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

webedoomed
I just wrote you a huge reply, and it was lost in translation or something. ..

Meh, I'll just leave it that I agree that we must, but that doesn't mean we will.

Hopefully you're correct and I'm incorrect. We'll see.

Keep Calm And Venture On!

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

crazyewok
Thats werethe goverments come in, like investing in roads and railways to help economic growth they need to invest in makeing space affordable. Once they jump start it the resturns will be enormous!

Like what?

And don't say Helium 3. We don't even have a working fusion reactor of any kind yet, much less one that runs on Helium 3.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Two out of three... not so bad, eh?

We're inching closer

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Great news if it goes through... Many benefits from having a robust space program... I just have to wonder how long it will take for the welfare kings and queens to get broadcast time and start complaining about all the wasted money on space exploration and the moon when we have so many poor right here in the USA; well one of the reasons they cancelled Apollo and started the welfare state was because of all the complaining. The lack of reported vision beyond Apollo other than the cheaper better development of the Shuttle (what a crock that was with launch cost and infrastructure to support it) costing a fortune per launch...

Anyway I hope they do get back on tract for the moon and mars if for no other reason than the science and new developments that might arise. But it will be a serious fight especially with the state of the economy and the large percentage on welfare now IMO.

I personally would like every country to kick in 1% (maybe less would be needed?) of GDP to a new Space command structure independent of any one country. Have the brightest scientist from every country working there on R&D and space flight and development... Can't happen under the present mistrust and nationalism, secrecy... Someday governments will realize that ok we can destroy a country 30 times with nukes and the enemy can destroy us only once... Well IMO mad worked because we are still alive.

I still think the welfare voices will kill anything that gets off the ground.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I hope the scientists have some influence over Congress, but I doubt it. Most of those on the Congressional Science Committee think the world was created 6,000 years ago and evolution has no basis in reality. Pathetic.

It’s a shame, in my eyes, that so little value is placed on NASA, as well as other scientific endeavors. Take a few billion in oil subsidies and move it into the NASA budget would be nice, imo. But, apparently other matters like fighting wars, allowing tax loopholes for the filthy rich, and a 28 hour work week for Congress take precedence. What a thoughtless, backward-thinking bunch we are. I believe our days as a world power may be short-lived.

Anyway, imo our greatest hope for any real advancements in space exploration will have to come from commercial ventures. I’ve thought for years now that the first trillionaire will be someone who ventures out and mines either the moon or astroids. As long as there’s money in it, you can bet it will be pursued. Other governments are investing more in research and development in the sciences and technology than we are these days. It seems we’re losing the edge quickly and don’t seem give a hoot. How short-sighted is that?

It would be nice to be a country with a vision again (whether real or perceived), but I’m afraid that’s just a fading memory now.

Oh well, I wish the scientists luck trying to get a point across to a pack of monkeys...

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

727Sky
Great news if it goes through... Many benefits from having a robust space program... I just have to wonder how long it will take for the welfare kings and queens

The real welfare kings and queens which have held back commercial space development are the defense contractors. More money has been squandered in defense programs that went nowhere, weapons that weren't wanted or needed other than for the simple reason than filling their pockets and congressional votes and brain and resource drain from civilian science than has been spent on public welfare. And until recently with the advent of companies like Space-X they held a monopoly on launches. They also fixed the prices thus keeping them high through things like the United Space Alliance.

More of your money has gone into Boeing than into any collection of so-called "welfare kings and queens".

Perhaps you should fight the real enemy?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

theMediator

I feel that we are not advanced and focused enough to attempt successfully to colonize outside of this planet.

However, I can't say I wouldn't be glad if, by magic, every country in the world suddenly decided to fund space exploration and research instead of the military...

That's the way to go. First though there is a need for governments of the world to focus, most people in the street understand this already. I would gladly spend a bob or two making a difference to all kinds of research on my intiative alone, not be forced to pay to corrupt governments for dubious service. Unless you are deaf or blind or both, recent events show the corruptness of the 'high' office. The US had the federal shutdown, that hurt only the number on the street, NASA in their prestigious but scientific role, IMO aided and abetted, there was no need to shut down a humble webpage about anything, they could have made a statement by going to work. In the UK, we have a 'Prime Minister' who has just given the really rich a 5% discount on their taxation..Yeah, he is one of the really rich, but he has also refused any freeze on prices for power utilities etc, something that won't bother him personally at all, but will the number on the street, you see how it works?
All the shennanigans of the banks and stuff like LIBOR, drug money laundering, CIA poppys, and all their machinations, all over the world have all got to end. Now is the time to put an end to perpertual wealth and use money properly for the common good, in any field.
edit on 23-12-2013 by smurfy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join