It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists petition congress for return to Moon

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
You heard it here first, ATS. It seems that after China's successful landing on the Moon just last week, US scientists and one congressman are petitioning Obama and congress to go back to the Moon as part of an effort to maintain dominance in Space.

This is good! It seems that we have a new Space race on our hands. The benefits to society through innovation and collaboration will be immense. We still reap the benefits from the first Cold War and now with this new one, our solar system will open up in a big way!

“As China prepares to send a series of increasingly advanced rovers to the moon in preparation for what most observers believe will ultimately be human missions, many are asking why the U.S. is not using this opportunity to lead our international partners in an American-led return to the moon,”

What say you, ATS?

www.space.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Given the recent "no-fly-zone" restrictions put into place, I'd be reluctant to see the US and China playing well together in regard to a cooperative space effort, but maybe those two facets of each country's government are totally separate. I hope we go back to the Moon, though! The U.S. could use something POSITIVE to get behind, as a whole, imho.
edit on 23-12-2013 by parad0x122 because: typos

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
After 44 years or so, yes I'd say we're due for a visit.

edit on 23-12-2013 by ImpossibilityOfReason because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The Chinese are planning to mine the moon next decade. This is what it's all really about.

The first government to successfully carry tons of H3 from the moon back to earth will become the dominant economy within a matter of years.

We need to beat them to it.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
If there was anything even remotely valuable on the Moon, nobody would need any government encouragement to go there. The government would be trying to either regulate or stop people from going there.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

You realize how much it costs to carry out such a task?

It wasn't economically viable until recently, and still it's being assessed.

That's what the chinese are doing right now. Their rover is assessing pockets of minerals for their composition.

Helium 3 is damned valuable, much more so than petroleum.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
China has big plans for the moon.

I am surprised the USA has not tried to beat them to it.
edit on 23-12-2013 by Mamatus because: added content.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

In conjunction with this, I was able to find this article. Pretty cool stuff.

Mining the moon for helium 3

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

This is a common sense matter but we live in a corporate driven world and the corporations do not care about national success only there own short term gains, As the money moved east so did the expertise and our governments in the west have shown themselves to be complete and utter failures in there long term commitments except were those commitments help the corporations.
NASA is essential not only to America but the west in general and unless it keeps up ahead of the rest of the world then we are doomed to become the third world of the late twenty first and twenty second centurys as it is the well spring of scientific endeavour that has inspired the west ever since the first moon landing and the mars missions are now long overdue as is the commitment to establishing a permanent presence on the moon.
The Black operations driven secret space program actually is not good for the west as far as science is concerned and any discoverys it make go to the military industrial complex and end up benefiting only there corporate shareholders and power mongers whom have over the past forty years at least been commiting treason by moving the money and power east.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

parad0x122
Given the recent "no-fly-zone" restrictions put into place, I'd be reluctant to see the US and China playing well together in regard to a cooperative space effort, but maybe those two facets of each country's government are totally separate. I hope we go back to the Moon, though! The U.S. could use something POSITIVE to get behind, as a whole, imho.
edit on 23-12-2013 by parad0x122 because: typos

The "no-fly zone" is there to protect the historical value of the Apollo landing sites (e.g., they do not want a craft in an orbit that may crash it near those sites if the orbit fails).

The U.S. has also requested that no person or robotic craft get within a certain distance of the Apollo sites, because they do not want people or robotic probes possibly climbing/rolling over something such as the first footprints on the Moon. It's akin to roping off the area in from of a painting in a museum.

However, while Apollo 11 (the first one) and Apollo 17 (the last one to date) have wider requested restricted zones because of their specific historical significances (being first and last), a future tourist or robotic probe can get very close to the equipment at the other sites (Apollos 12, 14, 15, and 16) -- as close as 3 feet away (1 meter).

So the restricted zone for those other sites is not really that restricted -- but they still don't want to have.the sites disturbed.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

The first "Off-World" Heritage site! Or to make it more in line with ATS, there is nothing there.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Thanks for the info Soylent, I was more-so referring to the no-fly-zone that China had placed in the air that the U.S. kept testing with their military aircraft about a week ago though... my bad! I should've clarified
Wow, I didn't realize what you posted even existed!

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

webedoomed
The Chinese are planning to mine the moon next decade. This is what it's all really about.

The first government to successfully carry tons of H3 from the moon back to earth will become the dominant economy within a matter of years.

We need to beat them to it.

Mining the Moon is a BAD idea. You just know it will go SNAFU. Those in charge have not exactly had a good track record of getting things right here on Earth and the Moon is far too vital to the stability of this planet to be going digging great big holes in it. Savvy.
edit on 23-12-2013 by Tindalos2013 because: The Amazing Typo Vs The League of Mistakes

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
If the cost/benefit ratio for going to moon and returning either in terms of Science, or in terms of a resource that can be easily and cheaply exploited, like Helium 3 show any hint of potential for realization, then, it's fairly certain we'll be going back to the Moon.

Mining could very well take the shape of little robots collecting material, where then the H3 is baked out into long-term storage containers.
All this can be done on solar power with shift rotations in terms of dark/light times.

Enough H3 gets stored, it could act as a fuel depot, or, be shipped down the gravity well into LEO as a boot strap for less expensive flights back to the Moon.
From there, with cost of transit mitigated, the industry venture could eventually turn profits.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

You remember the movie, "time machine" ?? They were mining the moon, and miscalculated a blast, blowing off a chunk and sending it hurtling towards the earth!

Well look, we're going to have catastrophic consequences to staying with fossil fuels for another generation. I already believe we've triggered runaway greenhouse, but let's say I'm wrong and we still got a couple of decades of burning FF before that would occur... this is in our absolute best interest to take the risk.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I'm all for sending Congress to the Moon. When they come up with a plan to erase the national debt, they can come back.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

VictorVonDoom
I'm all for sending Congress to the Moon. When they come up with a plan to erase the national debt, they can come back.

Add the British parliament as well and throw in the corrupt EU leaders, You could get rich auctioning off the button press to whomever wished to push it.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

The people in Nasa were different people to those there now. Is Nasa even capable of doing this now? Sending a remote control rover to mars is one thing but sending men to moon and back safely. If I had the choice of being on a 1970 Apollo rocket to the moon or the one the New Nasa will come up with I would rather go with the 1970 model cause I know it works.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

So far we have the US, Russia kind-of, China, and India in this Space race. I wonder who else will join in? If there's a mad rush into Space as I think there will be, then maybe we should start a kind of "United Nations of Space" as one of the earlier posts states. That way countries aren't "re-inventing the wheel" everytime they start a space program and we can build on shared knowledge. Yeah, I know, that's a pipe dream.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

AthlonSavage

The people in Nasa were different people to those there now. Is Nasa even capable of doing this now? Sending a remote control rover to mars is one thing but sending men to moon and back safely. If I had the choice of being on a 1970 Apollo rocket to the moon or the one the New Nasa will come up with I would rather go with the 1970 model cause I know it works.

Some say that NASA never even landed on the Moon, of course, I'm in the crowd that believes we did. That being said I think now our chances for survival would be far better now than back then. I know we can go back and we could've gone back a long time ago; it's not ability-it's political will. Also the fact that I think something was found we civilians aren't supposed know about. But that's another thread!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join