It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who can watch an elderly while you need to leave the house?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
My girlfriend needs to go to the hospitol and her mother is elderly, can't walk, etc. How is she supposed to get there if no one can stay at the house to watch her? I know her mother is on medicade, do they offer any services for things like this?
Firepiston

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Any other relatives around? If you ask most times people will help.

It is good to see that she is taking care of her mother instead of sticking her away in a nursing home. I took care of my mother for a while, it wasn't exactly easy but it made me feel like I was repaying a debt I owed for her taking care of me when I was young. How long will she be in the hospital?.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FirePiston

I can't speak to her specific coverage....but there should be coverage for a respite worker or home visit nurse for outings and things like this.

I know it is available as a private service, home respite/personal care workers are some of the hardest working low paid workers around, my lady is one.

This is definitely something you should look up, it can improve the situation and relieve stress immensely all round.

All the best.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
It's Ok, the NSA are already watching. Or prehaps you could ?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

rickymouse
Any other relatives around? If you ask most times people will help.

It is good to see that she is taking care of her mother instead of sticking her away in a nursing home. I took care of my mother for a while, it wasn't exactly easy but it made me feel like I was repaying a debt I owed for her taking care of me when I was young. How long will she be in the hospital?.

We tried and not many relatives around. Not sure how long she will be in hospital could be up to 3 days. I will do a lil more digging on it and see. She already "the mother" has people come in every week for therapy and such so I am sure they will know. From what I am hearing having someone come in for a few hours has to be set up and not on the spot. So what happens if you have an emergency and the ambulance picks you up, do they say screw the old person and just leave her there?
Firepiston

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

13th Zodiac
It's Ok, the NSA are already watching. Or prehaps you could ?

Ha Ha.. No I have to ride with cause she wont be able to drive when they release her due to the meds they will probably give her.
Firepiston

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Treespeaker

I can't speak to her specific coverage....but there should be coverage for a respite worker or home visit nurse for outings and things like this.

I know it is available as a private service, home respite/personal care workers are some of the hardest working low paid workers around, my lady is one.

This is definitely something you should look up, it can improve the situation and relieve stress immensely all round.

All the best.

That I will do, thank you.
Firepiston

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Is it illegal just to hire a babysitter for a few hours?

I'm not kidding, why not hire local teen for 10 bucks an hour or whatever the going rate is these days.

Elder sitting?

Is that even legal I wonder or has nanny sam found a way to regulate such things.

It'd be cheaper than a nurse since it's just like babysitting, no nursing required really.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
just watch hiring a carer cause this video shows you what happens with people who are in position of trust and this is only 1 video about this in this series of programs,pretty shocking.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Cant you do it? if not ROAD TRIP take her with.
edit on 23-12-2013 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by haven123

just a thought,but, maybe some volunteers from the local church could help you out??

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by research100

help me what

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

haven123
reply to post by research100

help me what

Move your mothers into her new home, obviously.

You were just asking about what to do when you leave your mother in the house alone on a hot day, weren't you? You make sure you leave plenty of water. If it's a cold day, make sure they have somewhere warm to sleep too.

I saw an awesome thing the other day, you get chicken stock and chunks of meat and you put it all in a bucket and freeze it. And on a hot day, you take it out the back and put it in a large bowl, and your mother can go crazy on it all day, really good for hot days. Keeps her cool. And with all the treats in the iced stock water, they love it.

An interesting thing too, leave the tv on. They like the noise.

Just don't lock her out the back.

I hope she loves her new home as much as the old one, sounds like you two had a lot of fun there.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

she replied tome i'm no the OP.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

haven123
reply to post by winofiend

she replied tome i'm no the OP.

So you're not moving your mother into her new home, and need someone to look after the kids?

What is going on... first you say one thing, then you say something completely different. I am lost.

Do you even lift???

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

FirePiston
My girlfriend needs to go to the hospitol and her mother is elderly, can't walk, etc. How is she supposed to get there if no one can stay at the house to watch her? I know her mother is on medicade, do they offer any services for things like this?
Firepiston

Call the hospital and ask for the social worker department; explain the situation and ask if there is anything in your community or that they, the hospital, has that can help with this situation.

Your girlfriend's doctors office may also be able to help. Most communities have a lot of different programs or referrals they can aim you towards.

Expect to spend a lot of time on the phone.

A simpler solution is to ask family, friends and church members if anyone is available; a lot depends on how much work the mother is and how long a period of time you're looking at. Elderly who can't walk are not light duty babysitting.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

My grandaughter had a high fever, a hundred and six. It spiked up in less than a half hour and my wife thought that the thermometer was junk so went to the pharmacy to get a new thermometer. I brought the granddaughter upstairs and put her in a tub of luke warm water for a while to try to cool her down. She was crying it was cold. She was in there for about five minutes and I dried her and brought her downstairs. She was about six years old.

She was crying and she stopped breathing, she died. I tried to recessitate her, it worked after I pulled her tongue up. Then I gave her chest pumps and her heart started again. I called 911 and the lady was trying to keep me on the line while I was trying to keep her heart going, it stopped a couple more times. The heart stayed going till the ambulance got there and they gave her something in an IV. They hauled her to the hospital and she spent six days in there in ICU. She had some sort of serious infection. I spent the whole week with her in the hospital. She was not doing good.

After that, the infection kept coming back all the time, I brought her into the emergency room about three times. The doctor worked very hard to try to get that infection out of her. She spent a year on antibiotics before it was surely gone.

My mother was half paralyzed, but she was able to do things with her right arm and leg. She managed while we were at the hospital. You would be surprised what a crippled person can do when they have to.

We were taking care of my father in law years before this and he died on us too, he was weak and fell. I kept his heart pumping until the ambulance got there, they gave him a shot and a shock. They said if I would not have kept the chest compressions going, he would have never made it. He suffered a month in the hospital before dying though. I had broken a couple of ribs giving him those compressions, when a person dies things go limp and there is no muscles working. I was worried about this with the granddaughter.

Those experiences show me that our will can keep people alive, just sitting around is not an option when something happens. We need to do things if we can, not wait for the ambulance to get there.

Sorry for going off topic. People get strong when it matters, talk to her mother about this. Talk to the aids, some of them will sit with people when off duty at a reasonable price.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   

winofiend

haven123

Do you even lift???

do you even read? im not the op and even still,its his girlfreinds mother and she aint moving house.

top topics

join