It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTF now I know why my Car Insurance is so high?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Some car insurance rates in some states jump as high as 69% after making one claim, according to this research they do..words of advice don't make a claim unless you really have too

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by demonid011

Yep, that's the SCAM.
Pay all of your life, but God-forbid you ever USE it.
The idea of insurance is a great one, but the implementation has been tainted by greed and profit-taking.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Don't forget that our premiums pay for all them TV commercials too...

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

sageturkey

Yep, that's the SCAM.
Pay all of your life, but God-forbid you ever USE it.
The idea of insurance is a great one, but the implementation has been tainted by greed and profit-taking.

You know, there was one company (which shall remain nameless) but actually sent you money back if you had no issues. That's a great step forward there imo.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Don't forget the "Credit Crunch"!!!

Think of all the people whom lost their jobs and have debt they can't pay for! Thus they get a bad credit rating!!!
Bad credit rating means you are irresponsible for paying your debt. Therefore in the eyes of the insurance companies, you are also most likely an irresponsible driver! Thus you pay much higher rates for your car insurance!!!

Trust me I know! I heard it right from my Congressman! The insurance companies and our elected officials put their heads together to make the "HURT" hurt a whole lot more!!

Too bad the same rules didn't apply to those whom create them?
edit on 22-12-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Dude you cant even rent a car if you have bad credit, let alone hope to get into a new one. Wonder how much money these companies lose because of it. What about all the people who have credit checks just to apply for work? lol Heck I get a four dollar charge just for going into the building to pay for my insurance.

Times are getting tough guys, hang in there.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

I remember those commercials!
I thought to myself "Hmmmm - what a novel idea"

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

Dude you cant even rent a car if you have bad credit, let alone hope to get into a new one. Wonder how much money these companies lose because of it. What about all the people who have credit checks just to apply for work? lol Heck I get a four dollar charge just for going into the building to pay for my insurance.

HELL YEA DUDE!!!!

This was about car insurance so I didn't mention that fact! Bad credit? Sorry, we can't employ you at this time!!!

We are being focused on trivial "DIVIDE and CONQUER" tactics, while just trying to survive and feed your family is damn near impossible if you by chance "Fell on Hard Times"!

What is really messed up is that for those whom fall into the ditch so to speak, it seems the laws being created are designed to make damn sure none of us poor serfs have a chance in hell of crawling our way out of it!

WELCOME TO THE ORWELLIAN POLICE STATE!

edit on 22-12-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I had Progressive for TEN YEARS. I had no accidents in that 10 yr period until March of 2012. I was hit by a drunk driver who hopped a median and hit me head on. Yea not fun....I still have neck and back problems, ones i never had before.

Well ALL that money I paid for insurance I HAD to have did me absolutely NO GOOD when I had to use it! I was beyond pissed. No doctor would accept my PIP (personal injury protection) insurance, which I paid $174 a month for. Yea BASIC coverage on my 1998 Mustang cost THAT much! So, after 3mths of looking i found one doctor who would take it but he seemed hesitant. I went to his office and he was so rude! He made it clear he didn't like accident patients because PIP was slow and they had to do "more" work and get paid less. UM I thought doctors went to be doctors to HELP people not become rich. He treated me like crap and did a half arse job too. I was charged for a full visit which was suppose to be an hour and he saw me for 20mins! I was also charged for a cheap neck brace, $80 bucks. I could have made that damn thing from the Wal Mart craft section for 10 bucks. He ordered no x-rays or MRI's. None.

I had to go to physical therapy and well that ate up all my money in about 3 weeks. I had $10k in PIP insurance, which doesnt go far. It was $300 a visit for my PT and i went 3 times a week! WHY it was that much when he didn't do anything to me that I couldn't have done AT home is beyond me. It was for an hour 3 times a week. I had to stop going when they wanted to bill ME because my insurance ran out. Yea because I can afford almost $1000 a week!

Next came my "settlement" and that was also a joke. I only got $6k which isn't a lot at all. I still hadn't had ANY MRI's which I desperately needed and only recently 2wks ago FINALLY got them with my current insurance through my husband. I was very unhappy with the settlement and i couldn't afford a lawyer, they all wanted up front fees that I didn't have and those "free consultations" are NOT free! I did a couple and they weren't even with lawyers but "sales people" as I called them who worked for the lawyer. They couldn't even give me any legal advice yet they wanted me to sign a 20 page contract WITHOUT any legal advice?! How messed up is that?! I called out the one lawyer for it. His ads run like crazy here and he is always saying NEVER sign anything without legal advice yet he asks you to do what he tells you NOT to do! I am sure many people sign that line and are severely screwed in the end.

I wanted $10k to cover my bills and anything else that I still needed to do. The lady had the NERVE to tell my accident wasn't worth that amount. UM I could have been KILLED and she is telling me $10k isn't worth it? I was traumatized when it came to driving. I still flinch when driving on the inside lane and cars are coming from the other direction, median or not! This kid hopped the median so they don't really make a difference. I still don't like to drive ESP on the highway. I get very nervous and have anxiety. I use to love to go out and about but not anymore. You would have thought I asked for $100k. I finally settled with them because I was tired of going back and forth with them.

Insurance is an utter scam imo. If you calculate what I spent in those 10yrs paying them monthly I paid OVER 10k so I should have gotten what i asked for. I paid them that and then some over the 10yrs I had them.

I have since switched to Geico and they are sooooo much cheaper. We have both the Mustang and PT insured with full coverage and roadside assistance and we pay $120 a month. I almost fell over when they gave me the rate. I was fully prepared to have jacked up rates like i did with Progressive. I picked Progressive 10yrs ago because they were the "best" around. Well that is a crock! Now I know why this one guy drove around with "PROGRESSIVE DOESN"T PAY OUT CLAIMS" on the side of his truck. It was done in a professional manner. I can only imagine how badly they screwed him to have done that to his truck.

Insurance sucks....

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I've had to file 4 claims totalling around 55k. Now I pay 2,000 a yr in insurance.

All of my speeding tickets probably aren't helping the situation either.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Nephalim

Yea the whole charging to pay by phone with a person or going into a building is RIDICULOUS! It's their JOB which they are already being paid for yet they charge you a fee for them to do it.

Our water company is like that. $15 bucks of our bill is BILLING FEES! If you pay over the phone with a credit/debit card they charge you $5 bucks! You pay online, you are charged $4 bucks. It's BS.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

seeker1963
Bad credit? Sorry, we can't employ you at this time!!!

Had that happen to me in 2010. Was turned down due to a tax lien that had actually been resolved. Granted, it was a tech-support position at a bank...
They told me something to the effect of "Employing you is kind of like loaning you money. Your credit score says something about your reliability".
Why in the h#ll do you think I'm applying for the job? What better way to clear-up a bad credit score than gainful employment? Isn't that the responsible thing to do? Geez!!!

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Nephalim

I am 48 years old. Just this last year I decided to buy something using credit as I want to build up my credit rating. Teh motorcycle finance company was shocked when they saw my credit score was ZERO! I had to provide three months of bank statements and proof of address to get a loan.

Recently when traveling for my business I had reserved a car at Hertz. When I got to DC they refused to rent to me as my credit score was to low. I immediately walked over to Enterprise and rented a car right off. No credit card required and I used my debit card. I have rented from Enterprise many times with debit only card.

Had to Add: Bad credit costs people with little money more money. All part of keep the poor poor plan.
edit on 22-12-2013 by Mamatus because: added content.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Your insurance is "high," whatever that means, because you are in a risk pool of drivers that tend to have more accidents. I am in a risk pool of drivers who have few accidents, therefore my premium is much less than yours. Why should I have to pay for the negligent behavior of your peers, or of yours?

Further, my insurance company awards me a couple of different kinds of "risk points." This means that if I go three years with no accidents, if I DO manage to have one, I can apply my risk points to it and it does not count against my insurance rates; they don't go up. Same is true with a ticket. The company also uses credit scores, but my rates are not affected because my credit score is so high.

So, it pays to drive carefully and it pays to have good credit. And it pays to get an insurance company that treats you like I have described. If you haven't done these things, whose fault is that? Not mine. Because I've paid attention to these issues, my rates are low. Sorry about yours.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
1. Have a safe driving record
2. Don't give an insurance company a reason to raise my rates.
3. Have a good credit score (I don't necessarily agree with this as being a factor but if you want to play the game play to win)
4. Go with a good company that rewards safe driving by rate reduction or other benefits such as large accident forgiveness after a period of time .

In other words don't be one of those fools that drives drunk/high/txting/distracted. Don't be one of those a$$holes that thinks where you are going is so much more important then where anyone else is going so it is ok for you to go 90 on a highway and weave in and out of traffic.

My car insurance , in a major city like Philadelphia, is around $100 a month and has gone down since the first year I got my new car in 2007 when it was around $200. It sucks when you start and as long as you prove you are a safe and reliable driver it will get better.
edit on 2013pAmerica/Chicago3101ppm by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I pay $130.00 a month for a maximum protection policy of 500k on my Dodge Ram. This went up $15.00 when I had an accident that was technically my fault. My Ducati 1100 is $75.00 a month. I do not find these rates all that high as a single lay down will total my 20k bike. Heck the insurance company got stuck with 24k when I got in the accident.

Four years ago I totaled my Subaru while playing rally driver in the snow. I actually made money on that car as they paid me more than I spent, three weeks after I spent it. funny thing is I knew it was going to not last the winter.

30 years ago Farmers bought me four motorcycles in three years. Back then any accident involving a near miss with an animal or a road hazard was non fault. Most of my "road hazard" accidents happened at the race track..... My insurance was $22.00 a month. They stopped insuring sport bikes shortly after that....

All in all I do not think that the vehicle insurance folks have actually made any money off me...... Nor will they, ever! Always make sure you use your insurance! I love having full coverage. Thanks to the insurance companies I have played for years and paid very little for it.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Mamatus

Nephalim

I am 48 years old. Just this last year I decided to buy something using credit as I want to build up my credit rating. Teh motorcycle finance company was shocked when they saw my credit score was ZERO! I had to provide three months of bank statements and proof of address to get a loan.

Recently when traveling for my business I had reserved a car at Hertz. When I got to DC they refused to rent to me as my credit score was to low. I immediately walked over to Enterprise and rented a car right off. No credit card required and I used my debit card. I have rented from Enterprise many times with debit only card.

Had to Add: Bad credit costs people with little money more money. All part of keep the poor poor plan.
edit on 22-12-2013 by Mamatus because: added content.

See? That right there. Imagine how many cars could be sold if credit checks and down payments were eliminated. I couldn't rent a car 3 times last year. Ive never had an accident. Ive never been to prison. Im not actively involved in any criminal activities. Whats the problem? Don't you like money? Right? here stupid take my money, gimme and shut up! lol dump all this damn red tape already= sales BOOM= productivity=jobs= happy people with things they want. I mean jeez. yes life is so complicated.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Bad credit rating means you are irresponsible for paying your debt.

Never had any problems with insurance been with the same agent for 20+ years.
cut up my credit card in 1978.

If i can not pay cash i don't need it.

Then last time i checked my credit score it was 0.

I don.t have to worry about identity thieves because they would have a major problem because of my credit score.

Oh i have had a number of credit cards in my NV corporation names.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
It is oddly strange and wonderful that in some states you do not have to purchase auto insurance but instead may prove financial responsibility or buy a bond. New Hampshire, Virginia, and Mississippi (Bonds). Seems some elements of the republic still remain.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
We have a medical office that sees auto injury patients on occasion. Some companies are certainly easier to deal with than others.

Farm Bureau - never a problem paying
State Farm - ok for PIP, not for replacement
Progressive - we have decent experiences with them, but I have heard horror stories from other doctors
Geico - awful, impossible to deal with
USAA - the worst of the lot. We won't even accept their patients. They never pay. Ever. And they give the insured the run around.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join