It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did GLAAD mess with the wrong duck? Could this be a tipping point in the culture wars?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Nah Beezer, it's not the same thing. A&E has monetary interest in not offending viewers. He has the right to say it but they also have the right to not broadcast him if he is going to say things that they don't support.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Political Correctness: The Scourge of our Times.

Nailed...

Simply seeing political and correct in the same sentence makes me want to cringe.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

damwel
reply to post by beezzer

Nah Beezer, it's not the same thing. A&E has monetary interest in not offending viewers. He has the right to say it but they also have the right to not broadcast him if he is going to say things that they don't support.

So how is A&E making money by canceling the top rated reality show?

Duck Dynasty sponsors are following the show, not A&E.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

A&E has monetary interest in not offending viewers.

Then, why did they choose to offend so many viewers?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
This is a request to the mods.

I'm curious. Has there ever been a time where members have requested that other members be banned for opposing viewpoints?

No names, but would be interested as to demographics.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

beez

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

beezzer
You're still free to comment, but you will be punished, because I disagree with what you say.

Yes, if what you disagree with is also against T&C then that may very well happen. We all agree to the terms when we signed on. Who knows what Mr. Phil signed to.
edit on 21-12-2013 by daskakik because: because of ed

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
It's a Waterloo event - a high water mark for the gays.

The American people are a tolerant people they allow a minority group to voice their opinion and rights and that has been done incessantly by the media for the last how long 10 or 15 years....its gay this, gay that, gay marriage, gay union - gay till it's coming out of your ears.

The Vox Populi has swung so far in your direction it is now swinging back against you - take your gains and move along - it was a good ride.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

daskakik

beezzer
You're still free to comment, but you will be punished, because I disagree with what you say.

Yes, if what you disagree with is also against T&C then that may very well happen. We all agree to the terms when we signed on. Who knows what Mr. Phil signed to.
edit on 21-12-2013 by daskakik because: because of ed

But what if it isn't against T&C?

(post by Cito removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

BenReclused
reply to post by damwel

A&E has monetary interest in not offending viewers.

Then, why did they choose to offend so many viewers?

See ya,
Milt

Who are the viewers sticking with? Just like the black culture the only people holding back the gay people is themselves. Not very politically correct but it is a fact.

But lets debate the finer points of nothing.

See Ya,

Personal truth is subjective. And that is all this is.
edit on 21-12-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
This isn't about political correctness, it's called being intolerant to people that are different than you. Phil doesn't like gay people or minorities. It's more than okay to call him out on it and everyone with that old testament holier than thou attitude. It's not okay to be that stupid and then get offended when we call you out on it.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

This guy thinks blacks were treated just fine during the Jim Crow era, and that they lived happy lives in the South during that era...

Actually, he said he saw no difference in how he was treated next to blacks since he considered himself "white trash". Basically he said social inequality crossed the boundaries of race. And given that there were "house _____s" back then, (excuse the reference) he kind of has a point.

I still don't understand why there's outrage about this whole thing. No one's right to free speech is being taken away. Mr. Robertson is free to say that he wants every day and anytime he wants, he is not being punished and is not being imprisoned for it.

It is A&E's right to fire him for his behavior just like my employer has the right to fire me if I start acting rude or start to insult our customers.

And if someone was fired for stating that they believe gay marriage should be a right for everyone, would that not cause a stir and be condemned as discrimination. You have to put it into context, I loathe religion and most irrational religious people, yet, I won't go as far as to condemn someone simply because he believes it isn't "natural" or in the confines set out by his heavily edited god's words.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

amazing
This isn't about political correctness, it's called being intolerant to people that are different than you. Phil doesn't like gay people or minorities. It's more than okay to call him out on it and everyone with that old testament holier than thou attitude. It's not okay to be that stupid and then get offended when we call you out on it.

Phil never said he doesn't like gay people or minorities.

He just said that according to the bible, homosexuality is a sin.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
From the jest of things, A&E by bowing to GLAAD has painted themselves into a corner. For them, there is no way out without taking a very big hit. If A&E backs down, GLAAD and the LGBT communities will be all over them and calling them all manor of derogatory terms. Should they take the hard line and not reinstate Phil, they will most likely lose their #1 program as the family will support Phil.

It has since come to light that A&E knew full well of Phil's views and had known for years. Thus A&E has no excuse in acting as though they did not know as a reason for their suspension. A&E and GLAAD deserve all the backlash they receive but I doubt either one will learn from it in the way that they should.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

amazing

Spoken like someone who likes to comment without knowing the topic.

Phil lumped men who sleep around with women in the same boat as homosexuals. Get a clue. There's an old saying about speaking and removing all doubt .....

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMoonJoe

I think had Robertson said " To me xyz is a sin" or " according to my faith and belief xyz is a sin" before his original comment, none of this would have gained the slightest bit of traction and GLAAD would not have a leg to stand on. But he didn't and so, they do.

The issue GLAAD is raising is legitimate. Blanket statements can be killers. People *are* being discriminated against, are being beaten and are being killed on the sole basis that Joe Bog's faith is the RIGHT one, the ONLY faith and whats more, is the "ONE TRUE FAITH" so therefore every word written here in xyz book - interpreted THIS RIGHT WAY ACCORDING TO ME - is THE ONLY truth for EVERYONE.
It isn't though, and can never be, and that kind of one eyed thinking isn't much different from the dribble violent jihadists say every day when you look at it.

IMO, if people just owned their stuff, even just by using a simple preface like "according to my faith or my belief", and so make a choice to not make blanket statements and have some real respect ( which is just self admitting your not god and dont know it all) instead of trying to score points, life could be so much better and neither side would be given a free club to beat another side...ever.

shrugs ..meh..wishful thinking I guess.

Ro

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
did someone say duck

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
"Looks like we slaughtered a pig but nobody wanted bacon."

Who killed Obamacare - Obama.
Who killed Big Government - the Liberals.
Who killed Political Correctness - the PC Police.

The majority only put up with this crap for as long as they want to & then they say enough and it's gone.
Suspect that is whats going on here.

It's a game changer whether you know it or not.

Good day

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Cito

In my experience, it's only " political correctness" until you give birth to a gay child, or your sister comes out. Then you start to see whats at stake and how life and death the matter really is, then you start to understand why people raise the flag and stand there holding it.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Rosha

Um, that's exactly what he did. He said "according to the Bible" and then said he was a Christian and this is what the Bible teaches.

GLAAD said he is not a Christian and all Christians accept homosexuality as normal and if you disagree you are not a Christian.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join