It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much worship is adequate for God or Allah?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I have four children and one problem; I�m not sure how many times I need them to worship me.

I have struggled with if for eons, two times a day, once every seven days, five times a day; I�m not sure which would work best for me.

I need the worship thing bad, I�m hooked like a drug addict to this thing called worship.

I created my children therefore they have a duty to spend the rest of their existence worshiping me, perhaps they should do it all day and all night---that�s it!

Hey children come in here I want to talk to you about something.

[Edited on 20-11-2004 by sleeper]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
exactly! but we're also suposed to view him as a father figure..if he is all powerful and all knowing why then goes god need our worship. what good is it doing him. if he is the unconditional lover we learn of why does it matter. actually theres a obvious answer. maybe its not so much as the glory of god that religion seeks to praise, but the invention of men.

religion around the world is but an invention of men. only a fool would side by the argument that any religious teaching is the sole teaching of an all powerful god (im not saying that a particular religion is wrong) but rather that it has been subjected to the imperfections of men. religious ideas are passed on through men and due to the nature of man they have been altered and corrupted. And if these religious ideas are the result of man perception of a god which has been changed over the years, can we say that religion is the praise of god, or of mans idea of god, his perception. surely then it a human invention, even if only partly...

so then this praise is not for the purpose of exhalting god but rather giving support to the invention of man. it is this praise that ensures the continuation of the idea of god, lest people forget, and religious authorities loose control of their follows..

(please excuse the connection between these ideas to all religions, its obvious to which religions i was applying to,.and if my ideas do not relate to a particular religion, well then i wasnt applying my ideas to those particular example. christianity is probably the best example where the church uses peoples ideas of god to ensure that they return every week, and so keep the religion going.)

good post by the way. i dont think many people think about this when they spend there entire lives worshiping, when there should be no reason for there god to require it. i think it makes people feel safe and more in control of their own spiritual path.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by sleeper
I have four children and one problem; I�m not sure how many times I need them to worship me.

OMG that is the funniest sarcasm I have heard in a while!

Wait! You are joking...right?

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
During the Roman rule of Palestine, a Hebrew Rabbi was attending to the matters of the Roman Palace. It was his customary business to act as an intermediary to the often difficult to understand Jews under the rule of Caesar.

One day, while the governor was discussing the Hebrew Faith with the Rabbi, He said: "Your God seems to be worthy of much praise and many prayers. I shall endeavor to pray to Him constantly and regularly What is sufficient Rabbi, three times, perhaps five times?"

The wise Rabbi did not answer immediately, but bid the governor to be patient and receive the answer in a little while.

The next day, early in the morning, the Rabbi called upon the house of the governor. Upon answering the door, The Rabbi bowed himself low to the earth, made an extensive and eloquent greeting using all the formal titles and appellations.

Upon the next hour, the Rabbi appeared at the palace again, and greeted the governor with the same humble and eloquent greeting as before. Puzzled, the Governor received him and then he left as before.

So it went every hour of the day, until sundown, when the Rabbi appeared at the palace again and the governor received him. "Rabbi," He said, "Why did you come to me so many times, and make such a show of your greetings? I am beginning to tire of it."

The wise Rabbi replied: "Governor, it is the same when we pray, that we humble ourselves to God and make an honest appeal of His Mercy. You had asked me how often we should pray to Him, and I believe you have receved your answer. Even it is tiresome to you to be called upon at all hours of the day, so it would be to God."

(Retold from the Dabistan, or Book of Manners)

Arkaleus

[Edited on 19-11-2004 by Arkaleus]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Yes I am joking, my children like me but I can't get them to worship me.

I forgive them anyway.

BTW I kind of worship them.

Perhaps that would be what a real God would do.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
"And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words."

Matthew 6:7

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   

sleeper

Matthew 4:10 KJV
Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

They are to obey you, not worship you. God alone is worthy of worship.

Sleeper "And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words."

Matthew 6:7

Matthew 6:7 KJV
But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen [do]: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 KJV
Pray without ceasing.

You obviously do not understand the context in which this passage was given. Take a look at the scripture that I posted. God does desire for us to have a continual fellowship with him in prayer. What he doesn�t like are prayers that go something like this:

Heal me Lord
Heal me Lord
Heal me Lord
Heal me Lord
500 times in a row!

This person thinks that prayer is some form of magic incantation and that if he repeats the words enough times it will come to pass. God is not a personal prayer box set up to give us what we want when we want it.

Arkaleus
The wise Rabbi replied: "Governor, it is the same when we pray, that we humble ourselves to God and make an honest appeal of His Mercy. You had asked me how often we should pray to Him, and I believe you have receved your answer. Even it is tiresome to you to be called upon at all hours of the day, so it would be to God."

We do not burden God when we seek his wisdom. He calls upon us to do that very thing. Remember, God does not exist within our limitations of time and space. He lives in eternity and can most easily consider our prayers no matter the number. God is pleased with us when we seek his face. This Rabbi is placing upon God the same characteristics that limit mankind. He is mistaken.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It's about being in relationship.

I can't tell, with whom you are in relationship from what you have written; so I can't comment on your experience.

My experience is, I do whatever God "nudges me" to do, because I physically see that something needs to get done.

He and I sort of work together on things.

I don't understand about "worship." That has never made any sense to me.

For my part, "God" is the only family I have close to me.

Does this help?

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Emily Cragg, I love what you said!! Ok, I had to get that out my system. The Lord nudges me also, and leads me to where I need to be. Because of Him, I was saved from experiencing many things. It's true. It's the personal relationship that is sooooo important. God bless you, hun!! You have such a humble spirit. Don't ever change. Your experiences and Jesus' love has molded you into the person that you are, today, and that is beautiful!

To the rest of you:

God doesn't need your worship. He deserves it because of all that He has made/done. He is the Creator of everything. Also, He desires relationship with the humans that He has made.

Also, it's no doubt that humans use religion to control people. This is why we need the relationship and why we need to read the Bible for ourselves. The ones who don't know the Lord for themselves are the ones who are easy to control. This meaning Christian and nonChristian, alike. How can a man advise another man on morality when his views are twisted?
Jesus didn't have a very good reaction to the Pharisees (teachers of the law) for the reason the I mentioned earlier. People like this are hypocrits and use religion or law to their own advantage. It's hard for me to be fooled because I have a personal relationship with the Lord, and am continuously learning more about Him. If anyone tries to tell me anything, contrary, I could regurgitate His Truth to whoever may try to use whatever they may want to use, against me. That's one of the reasons why I love being a Christian. It is easier for me to tell who really is of God, from the ones who portray themselves as a Christian. Also, I get to release my passion on those who use religion against people when they, themselves don't follow the Lord. I love passion! (LOL) It makes life even livier.
When my pastor warned us(my congregation) to read the Bible, thoroughly, so that a "preacher" , including himself, can't mislead us. That made me realize that I can't be lazy with finding out more about God, because people can say anything they want to in order to mislead.

As a Christian, it's not our jobs to make nonChristians feel bad,or to condemn. But just like anyone else, we are human, too. BUT, there are some who are not Christians, and are trying to benefit from some type of power they may hold.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
There is a higher power, and that power comes with many names, God, Jesus, Allah, Buda, or any of hundreds of other names.

The problem lies with the fact that everyone believes they have the one and only true god.

That is why we have wars and not peace.

The higher power, whatever you wish to name it---is much bigger than most people are willing to believe.

The higher power has billions and billions of galaxies to look after---our small planet and solar system is only one of bazillions that are just like it.

This higher power does not need our worship---but worships or loves or whatever you wish to call it, all life.

Just like children can do no wrong in most parents eyes---neither can we do wrong to the life force that created us.

The Prodigal son is a good example.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   

[Edited on 30-11-2004 by sleeper]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The prodigal son:

KJV Luke 15:11-32
(11) And he said, A certain man had two sons:
(12) And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.
(13) And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.
(14) And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want.
(15) And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine.
(16) And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him.
(17) And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
(18) I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,
(19) And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.
(20) And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.
(21) And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.
(22) But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:
(23) And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:
(24) For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.
(25) Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard musick and dancing.
(26) And he called one of the servants, and asked what these things meant.
(27) And he said unto him, Thy brother is come; and thy father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe and sound.
(28) And he was angry, and would not go in: therefore came his father out, and intreated him.
(29) And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:
(30) But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.
(31) And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.
(32) It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
worship is..... our life, fully devoted to god...when we worship in spirit and in truth..we praise him because we are fearfully and wonderfully made........god has only one name...there is only one name under heaven by which we must be saved...that name is Jesus

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Its kin da funny how this person uses the terms God and Allah as 2 seperate beings. Allah is just Arab for God, God is english for Allah. It is the exact same heavenly body just 2 seperate transloations of the same word. Not 2 different gods, the same all powerful God. Geez people.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlissfullIgnorance
Its kin da funny how this person uses the terms God and Allah as 2 seperate beings. Allah is just Arab for God, God is english for Allah. It is the exact same heavenly body just 2 seperate transloations of the same word. Not 2 different gods, the same all powerful God. Geez people.

I know that God and Allah are the same deity---obviously the Jews, Christians and Moslems don't agree, if they did they would all be brothers and peace would cover the earth---try and get them all under the same roof for worship and see what happens.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Pffft anyone who demands i worship them is too arrogant for my praise...

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Right... God doesnt need our worship.... he'll only let us burn forever if we dont! A God who will let his creation burn for eternity for un-believing doesnt deserve worship.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The thing is, that in the end, unless you give your heart to christ. your knee will bow and your own tounge confess that jesus christ is lord...he is worthy regardless of what you perceve to be reality...god and allah are not the same....one name by wich we must be saved JESUS CHRIST

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Why does Allah want to see millions of men's backside five times a day?

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Prayer = worship. The bible says to pray unceasingly. So I'd say ... worship should never end.
Kinda makes you wonder about that whole transfer of energy thing that the Celestine Prophecy
talks about ...

top topics

join