It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syfy channel is garbage. What happened to sifi and the great stuff that was on !

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Aside from the old reruns at the beginning their hasn't been much good on Syfy. SyFy also owns Chiller which would be the ideal place to send all of the ghost shows and such. They have not had any decent shows that they haven't canceled since BSG. The channel is having an identity crisis it seems. It does not know whether to go sci-fi or nerd culture when trying to gain viewers which do not always overlap. I mean do we really need a reality show about people who pretend to be fictional characters(cosplay) ? I was bummed when Caprica was canceled and pretty much don't watch much of the channel because of it. I am hoping Helix is OK but they will probably cancel it as well.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Same thing that has happened to my beloved History Channel, Discovery, and TLC. It's all reality crap. Honestly, I enjoy Myth Busters, American Pickers and Deadliest Catch, but the amount of reality shows has gotten completely out control. History channel is nothing but shows about pawn shops or auctions and TLC is nothing but reality medical shows or about parents dealing with their 24 kids. I don't watch any of it anymore. If it wasn't for my sports fix, I would've dumped cable a long time ago. Netflix has way more to choose from.
edit on 16-12-2013 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jtrenthacker

Yeah history really went downhill. Its like Fred Sanford and the Smithsonian had an unwanted baby. TLC is the worst. I remember as a kid being able to watch surgeries performed on TLC now I get to watch midgets and fat rednecks

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I use to glance at a Television every so seldom, and when I did, I rather enjoyed shows on SciFi Channel like Farscape. The Network also aired the Battlestar Galactica Series reboot.

Now days; TV? TV Networks, methinks, are going the way of AM radio serials.

Now, most anything anyone wants to watch is available online. Both old and new programs, movies, and complete series can be downloaded in totality from any number of Torrent sites, for example, as well as streaming media outlets.

Last year, for instance, I went on a series Marathon tour of several shows in downloading every season and episode of, Buffy, and Angel, as well as others like Smallville.
I watched when I had time, when I wanted, as long as I wanted.

Recently too, Netflix started streaming complete seasons they produced with all episodes available immediately.
Hemlock Grove is an example of this and is due for a second season release soon.

Step away from Television Networks and their scheduled programming.
Watch what you want, when you want in tapping into online resources.
Much is available streaming, while much more is available for download.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

NihilistSanta

Yeah history really went downhill. Its like Fred Sanford and the Smithsonian had an unwanted baby. TLC is the worst. I remember as a kid being able to watch surgeries performed on TLC now I get to watch midgets and fat rednecks

Remember when Modern Marvels and Movie Magic was on History all the time? That's when I started watching the channel. Hell, I could watch a Modern Marvel channel if there was such a thing.
edit on 16-12-2013 by jtrenthacker because: Words Are hard

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

I absolutely adored Hemlock Grove! I watched the whole first season in marathon fashion and can't wait for another season!

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Movie Magic was so great! Dont forget series like Beyond Tomorrow and Connections with James Burke which they reran in the US on those channels.

I was free of cable for years but since moving somewhere rural I am back on sat due to internet options. Otherwise I would just go back to watching BBC documentaries when online.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Yes, I rather enjoyed it too, despite the ending of Season 1 that would seem to have been written by a militant Misogynist.
(not saying more than that so as not to spoil anything for those unfamiliar with the show)
I really loved the Shelly character as possibly the most 'Sane', balanced, and 'beautiful' of all the other characters. I certainly look forward to Season 2.

UK Programming also has some interesting and fun programming.

The Doctor Who revival that started in 2005 is wonderful. Being Human was originally a UK show (series is now complete and finished, I think), but now has a US version still in progress that diverges from the UK storyline into something entirely different.
Misfits is a bit of an oddball, and the series is quite fond of killing off all the main characters several times over.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

jtrenthacker
Same thing that has happened to my beloved History Channel, Discovery, and TLC. It's all reality crap. Honestly, I enjoy Myth Busters, American Pickers and Deadliest Catch, but the amount of reality shows has gotten completely out control. History channel is nothing but shows about pawn shops or auctions and TLC is nothing but reality medical shows or about parents dealing with their 24 kids. I don't watch any of it anymore. If it wasn't for my sports fix, I would've dumped cable a long time ago. Netflix has way more to choose from.
edit on 16-12-2013 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

It seems like all the channels are turning into crap. Another great show was StarGate.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Ah ok after looking into it it appears that NBCUniversal owns SyFy channel which would explain how horrible it is. They ruined Heroes for crying out loud.

I have seen some articles this last year that mentioned that NBC may soon go under as a T.V. network so maybe SyFy will follow suit.

I don't even understand how G4 is on the air. That channel was great as TechTV and bombed when trying to pander to a different demographic and became G4 which kind of seems like the direction SyFy has been going.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by desertguy

I have been saying this for years!

I hate SyFy, sounds like a bad disease or something.

I remember when they started showing wrestling on Friday nights. I went nuts. I loved Friday night bad Sci Fi but nooooo they had to put WRESTLING on! I mean WRESTLING!! It didn't belong!

They changed their name to become cool and hip and with the text lingo. They also wanted to get a different audience besides the "Sci Fi geeks" they normally get. Now all you see is bad "reality" tv and very few movies. I loved Sci Fi on the weekends, each day usually had a theme of movies. It was either disaster, monstrous, aliens or some other sci fi force. Ahhh the good old days.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Don't tell me you guys didn't watch & like Sharknado, lol. I agree that most of the movies are junk but are somewhat entertaining.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

What happened to sy-fy?

Two words.

Shark
Nado.

Oh wow. (see above)

edit on 16-12-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Don't forget...
Man
Squito.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

We can't forget Sharktopus.

ETA; they are doing a sequel to "Sharknado".
mashable.com...
edit on 16-12-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
If you like the classics why do you have Cable?

Streaming is science fact...not crappy science fiction!

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I agree. SciFi went to crap long ago. It's like they pride themselves on how bad of a movie they can make, like Sharknado. They should step aside and let amateur film makers make their movies. That's where some of the interesting things will come from. Not those directors they have now. TV Land is just as bad. Come to think of it, a lot of TV sucks bad now. I remember I was addicted to the show 'Madhouse' on the History Channel. It was one of the most-watched shows on TV, but History dropped it because they didn't want a redneck show representing their channel. I blocked it off my list after that. How do you cancel a wildly popular show? These people who are in control have the blandest, most perverted taste I've ever seen. We need to build our own TV stations and make the stuff we want. That needs to happen.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
We don't get SyFy up here but back in the late 90's I had satellite and got SciFi. LOVED that station. Will always remember them fondly for.....Farscape.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Sy-fy is mostly utter crap.

I do watch some of the stuff on their because ... what else is on?

And I do use the bad movies for writing inspiration. Sort of a "There's no way what you write is worse than that. Get busy already." kick in the pants. Plus, there is the occasional "I can't believe someone actually put that on film and TV moment ... WTF." that makes me laugh.

We are getting ready to Roku with Netflix and Amazon so we can remember what real entertainment is, though.

Farscape was the best show no one knew.
edit on 16-12-2013 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

It doesnt matter what we like. Its all about $$$. And one of you, twenty of us, or even a couple thousand....if we dont buy the advertised channel products....they find other shows...to attract different viewers...who WILL buy the products that advertise on their stations.

It was never about us the viewer: thats reality. It never was. They dont put shows on to make you happy you know? Its was and still is about MONEY. Sadly....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join