It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is free will a fallacy?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

NorEaster

ketsuko

If you mix grape juice and apple juice in a single glass, you can never decrease or eliminate the amount of grape juice you mixed in with the apple juice in that glass.
reply to post by NorEaster

No I go that it was an analogy, but I was wondering who mixed the grape and apple juice. Who is the "you" we are talking about? Adding the "you" implies some control of the mixing. Was that intended or important?

edit on 15-12-2013 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

Your brain adds whatever is added to the resulting mixture that is you. It does this as it's ensuring the material survival of your body, as well as its own survival.

So you are implying I have no control over my brain?

In other words I mixed the apple and grape juice, but you are implying I did not do so consciously. However, I can then consciously choose to dilute one of the two juices? Why would I not be able to choose the original admixture, but then be able to choose how to do the dilution later on?

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I don't believe we have free will. If we did we wouldn't make such horrendous mistakes in life. I believe our actions are directed by a superior being with a very sick sense of humor. Is it God? I don't know. I do know it is a sadist.

As for seeing our future lives, I think that's what dreams are for. My dreams have one overarching theme, which is why I believe this.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

ketsuko

NorEaster

ketsuko

If you mix grape juice and apple juice in a single glass, you can never decrease or eliminate the amount of grape juice you mixed in with the apple juice in that glass.
reply to post by NorEaster

No I go that it was an analogy, but I was wondering who mixed the grape and apple juice. Who is the "you" we are talking about? Adding the "you" implies some control of the mixing. Was that intended or important?

Your brain adds whatever is added to the resulting mixture that is you. It does this as it's ensuring the material survival of your body, as well as its own survival.

So you are implying I have no control over my brain?

In other words I mixed the apple and grape juice, but you are implying I did not do so consciously. However, I can then consciously choose to dilute one of the two juices? Why would I not be able to choose the original admixture, but then be able to choose how to do the dilution later on?

Let me add the rest of that post of mine that you quoted above.

Your brain adds whatever is added to the resulting mixture that is you. It does this as it's ensuring the material survival of your body, as well as its own survival. As you are being created, the developing you is actually engaged in affecting how your brain continues to add to the resulting mixture (that is you) being further developed and defined. We notice this process in others that we deal with a lot, and we call it personality development. This is all pretty well-established stuff.

Note the highlighted sentence. I'm going to assume that you didn't understand what I was actually stating in that post, and that you're not intentionally editing my post in your quote.

You are involved in your own decisions. As my post reveals, I never suggested that you aren't.

<< 1   >>

join