It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heartburn / Medication

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

lupodigubbio
I used to suffer from severe heartburn that ultimately caused a very serious esophagitis (sp?)

Now that you're back to full health, I assume esophagitis can be totally cured? No permanent affects?

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

angryhulk

lupodigubbio
I used to suffer from severe heartburn that ultimately caused a very serious esophagitis (sp?)

Now that you're back to full health, I assume esophagitis can be totally cured? No permanent affects?

Absolutely cured, mine was a severe case. This was 7 years ago and I have no permanent damage that I can think of. You should try an elimination diet, starting with wheat, dairy and legumes. This is the best advice I can offer to you, good luck!!

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I learned to eat raw potato for any and all stomach ailments. It's cheap and effective - tasty too, with a little salt...

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

lupodigubbio

angryhulk

lupodigubbio

Absolutely cured, mine was a severe case. This was 7 years ago and I have no permanent damage that I can think of. You should try an elimination diet, starting with wheat, dairy and legumes. This is the best advice I can offer to you, good luck!!

Good man. Thanks, I'll look into that.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Fats and carbs are taken apart differently. Fats promote acid production whereby carbs lower acid production. Seems to me that a cookie would be pretty neutral. The acid in the stomach requires chloride in the diet, the neutralization of this acid after it leaves the stomach requires a combination of sodium bicarbonate. Lowering the acid in the stomach is not very good when bacteria is present. If you restrict the acid production of the stomach too much it can wind up causing a condition of metabolic acidosis in the blood. High sugar and carb diets can do this. Not enough food containing chlorides can do this. Low carb green veggies contain chloride. Fish is high in chloride as is egg white. so is salt. It is a lot more complex to try to explain all this, it would take pages.

A small amount of baking soda occasionally to stop acid will not hurt you but using it too often may. I would rather eat foods occasionally containing sodium bicarbinate as a way of raising the dough.

There are many combinations of things that can cause high stomach acid. I have low stomach acid or acid that lacks pepsin some times, Stomach acid is required to take minerals out of food. Maybe you have a shortage of minerals in the body if you are creating too much stomach acid. Calcium hogs the acid, this slows other minerals absorption. The body will respond by making more acid. Try a little magnesium containing foods or a multimineral tablet with low calcium if this is the case.

edit on 13-12-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Thanks for your input, very informative.

Tell me, does caffeine have an adverse affect? I'm a sucker for Coffee / Red Bull.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

g146541
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

In moderation I don't believe baking soda would harm anyone, or even in some extreme cases.
Excessive baking soda will make you puke, purging your system of the acid as well as the base.
I know as I have done this before intentionally, and boy do you feel right as rain after you get all of the poison out of you.
I'd imagine for the small few who baking soda would kill, already had ticket in hand, bags packed and one foot out the door.
Seriously though, bicarbonate of sodium is an old world remedy, I learned it from my Grandpa who learned it from one of his ancestors.

My grandad used to sit at his table in the mornings and eat a chunk of magnesia.
"Old world" works, but may not work best.

What we have to remember is that many of the medications we take today are mostly taken to offset various diseases that we have given ourselves via environmental pollution from the industrial and nuclear era. Comparing what we do today with what our grandparents and great grandparents did may not be as relevant as it at first seems.

Kenobi....understand my frustration. I made mention of it and got a sudden flood of posts. My apologies.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

angryhulk

Tell me, does caffeine have an adverse affect? I'm a sucker for Coffee / Red Bull.

i drink espresso all day, and often into the evening. The coffee sure doesn't help me.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I have what I would consider mild heart burn. I take a generic version of Zantac which can be bought at WalMart. The same bottle of Zantac costs about $17 while the generic is $4. I generally take 2 a day but most days I can get by with just one.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

No problem, and thanks for the info you provided.

EDIT: And its Kenubi, not Kenobi. Kenobi's a ghost. I have heartburns... lol
edit on 13-12-2013 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

angryhulk

Can't prolonged exposure to heartburn branch out into other issues as well? I worry sometimes that maybe the meds are simply masking the issue rather than helping.

Nothing worse than necking gaviscon out the bottle either, daily.

my grandad died from a cancer caused by lifelong heartburn

I'm sorry to hear that texan.

Am I right in saying that this form of cancer is aggrevated by barrets esophagus? Which is brought about by heartburn of course.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

angryhulk

bigfatfurrytexan

angryhulk

Can't prolonged exposure to heartburn branch out into other issues as well? I worry sometimes that maybe the meds are simply masking the issue rather than helping.

Am I right in saying that this form of cancer is aggrevated by barrets esophagus? Which is brought about by heartburn of course.

It is hard to tell, really. He worked in nuclear missile silo's on Kwajelein. I think that all us grandkids have various health issue that stem from the time that our parents lived overseas while he did that civil service work. We all have autoimmune diseases of a varying type and degree (one female cousin who was once beautiful is now covered in keloid scars from her allergy to sweat and sunlight). My own curse(s) are nothing in comparison.

The cancer was Oat cell, which you don't typically find on a 70 year old man in the esophagus. It didn't appear to be Oat cell on first inspection. They did a biopsy, realized that the clock immediately began ticking, then removed his esophagus to try to prevent the rapid growth known from this cancer. As he was recovering he had a really bad case of thrush which caused him much suffering. By the time he recovered from that, the cancer was in his brain and his personality had left his body.

On a side note, I am not really a fan of the US Government, military, or nuclear age.

edit on 13-12-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

angryhulk

bigfatfurrytexan

angryhulk

It is hard to tell, really. He worked in nuclear missile silo's on Kwajelein. I think that all us grandkids have various health issue that stem from the time that our parents lived overseas while he did that civil service work. We all have autoimmune diseases of a varying type and degree (one female cousin who was once beautiful is now covered in keloid scars from her allergy to sweat and sunlight). My own curse(s) are nothing in comparison.

The cancer was Oat cell, which you don't typically find on a 70 year old man in the esophagus. It didn't appear to be Oat cell on first inspection. They did a biopsy, realized that the clock immediately began ticking, then removed his esophagus to try to prevent the rapid growth known from this cancer. As he was recovering he had a really bad case of thrush which caused him much suffering. By the time he recovered from that, the cancer was in his brain and his personality had left his body.

On a side note, I am not really a fan of the US Government, military, or nuclear age.

edit on 13-12-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

Removed his esophagus!?
Life can be cruel. Sorry I don't mean to bring about bad memories for you but that's insane.

You never know what's round the corner.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

angryhulk

Coffee contains both caffeine and an organic fluoride. Fluorides can cause a reaction with stomach acid to cause heartburn. Caffeine boosts adrenaline and this boosts the creation of stomach acids sometimes but lowers hunger if there is food already in the stomach. Coffee also stimulates the liver to produce bile, so it helps to detox the body but if you overdrink coffee, then this overworking becomes a problem not a good thing.

I can only state a few of the possibilities, You have to pay attention to how food and beverages effect you personally and the long term relationship to how you feel.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by angryhulk

Not bad memories.
He was a giant amongst men. While he deserved far, far better than he got in the end, the way he went about it was a lesson in honor and character for me. Grim, yes. But still valuable, like all lessons he taught me.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Odd you should bring up this subject. I have had this problem for years and developed pre-cancer as a result. So a number of years ago I was put on acid blockers like you and everything seemed rosy. But then of late, I noticed a mild memory problem, words would not come to the forefront.

Then this last week, I had what can be described as confusion and a lapse, seeming to me like a TIA. So I admitted myself to the hospital for tests. All tests came through with flying colors, good circulation, good blood workup and so forth, yet there existed a problem.

Now in comes the doctors and in an off hand way mentioned that I had Vitamin B12 anemia and needed to take shots. I was informed that my body no longer could take in this vitamin; all this with no explanation. They left, I researched as I had my ipad with me. What I found was B12 deficiency can be a few things but high on the list was acid blockers, it stops all assimilation of this vitamin.

In come the doctors and I tell what I found and I get this blank stare with a firm answer, "no, that won't happen, you need cholesterol medication". What I ask do I need that for, I have very low cholesterol. They answered that your bad is 10 points higher than it should be. Thus they prescribed two cholesterol meds which I won't take of course.

The point I am making here, is acid blockers should be only used for the short term and if continued will lead to permanent nerve damage from also blocking B12.

So now I am taking control of this and changing life style to somehow control my digestive system. Continue to up sublingual B as well as shots. Take a fiber before any greasy meal to bring my cholesterol down to 135 which is now 145. Research all this, it is complicated and best to take control in other ways than meds. So then you get to take even more meds to treat symptoms that should not be there had you not done the meds in the first place.

In the last two days, I have cut coffee to one cup, use ginger and cinnamon tea instead. Eating a small apple after meals and expanding as I learn and it does take an effort to change life habits.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sailormon

Wow. It sounds like your taking the matter into your own hands now. I admire your grit and determination. It's quite easy to take meds from a doc and assume they know what's best but the fact is these meds are being handed out like sweets and nobody really knows until it hits the fan.

Have you ever looked into surgery to control it?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
This is quite interesting that I stumbled across this thread today . I've been pondering a visit to my GP for this same issue. For just about a month now I've been suffering from such bad acid reflux / heartburn ive been forced to take zantac 150 twice a day, as the problem isn't going away ive cut out foods and not eaten certain things yet it still remains. Quite concerning on my end.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join