It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Drone mistakes Wedding Convoy for Al Qaeda; 15 dead

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

np

2nd

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Brotherman
reply to post by coastlinekid

Why blame us citizens and Obama that is a fairly ignorant response

The quote above was a misunderstanding but I've written what I think. The whole situation is, in my book, ignorant

It's true. Some people...a lot of people...including me, an American, blame most Americans and Obama.

They voted him into office and he's a disaster on every front.
Then they voted him in AGAIN.
He's the one who ran on a no war and end war policy but there are more drones blowing up crap than ever.

Pretty damn ignorant if you really think about it.

Back when pilots actually flew planes the individual pilot would be held accountable for his mistakes and he or she was left to deal with the facts.

Hell, a mistaken attack or friendly fire incident involving aircraft used to stir up the left and the media like a hornets nest. Now they just cover, cover, cover.

Today's generation of drone pilot is about half a step removed from a hopped up teenager on his parents couch playing videos and cheering at the screen. I'd be surprised if every tour of duty isn't accompanied by a liter of mountain dew and a two pound bag of skittles.

They don't even seem to know that there are actual humans in the cross hairs and when they blow up a dozen or so people who were having a wedding reception they get to say, "I was just following orders."

Things are far gone from when people with a conscience were patrolling the skies.

Americans won't see this as being true until the Homeland Security remote controlled Air Force starts blowing up schools and churches inside US borders because they though it might have been "potential terrorists."

Give it a few years. It'll happen. And the media will say those grade school kids had it coming.

My main point is that drones remove the human element but I see the human element being removed pretty much everywhere. Half the damn country is a bunch of drones.
edit on 12-12-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

This was explained on the end of page 2 I mis-read what he was trying to say I thought he was saying it was the us citizens fault because obama was elected at first glance I thought it was an ignorant political trolling comment when in fact it wasn't. I did apologize and understand what he was trying to say

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Brotherman

This was explained on the end of page 2 I mis-read what he was trying to say I thought he was saying it was the us citizens fault because obama was elected at first glance I thought it was an ignorant political trolling comment when in fact it wasn't. I did apologize and understand what he was trying to say

Ok,
Understood. No problem.

To be honest though. I think the entire situation is ignorant so I'll leave my comments up there.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I do agree with what you said about real pilots patrolling the skies, I have similar sentiments about the ability of skilled and precise operators patrolling the ground. Drones in my opinion are actually counter intuitive to the approach of winning hearts and minds (although far removed from reality this is ever an agenda or a successful strategy of winning a war) I wonder how citizens of say Haiti would feel if they had another natural disaster and US Marines were put on the ground for humanitarian assistance with drones in the sky? Obviously this would cause great discomfort to them (the citizens) but even worse paranoia. I was deployed in Haiti during Operation Secure Tomorrow while I was there I witnessed things that many times I was uneasy about and at times scared to death such as only 80 marines inside the FOB and 3000 angry Haitians protesting at the front gate, this incident there were shots fired it could have been easy to mistake it for enemy combatants even though it was Haitian on Haitian violence (although not right by any sense) I have heard similar scenarios in Afghanistan in which crowd of people, Gun fire, DRONE STRIKE and it turned out to be a celebration. Now that the flood gates are open with almost no over sight in the nameless faceless robo birds in the sky I wonder if we had this drone capability back then would they precision strike the shooters and just happen to take out 100 or more in the process in the name of keeping the peace?

It really is troubling for me to think about

edit on 12-12-2013 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

Come back when it's reported by a news agency with some credentials.
This site sayings Reuters is reporting it does not mean Reuters is really reporting it.

I just checked their site And I didn't see the story. You're welcome to check yourself. Which you might have done before you posted this.

www.reuters.com...

This was the premise of an episode of "Castle". In the movie, the pilot refused to fire because the "red dots" he saw on top of the vehicle were roses from the wedding party. The complaint by the suspect that Castle and Detective Beckett were investigating is that drones in the future won't have pilots to make those kind of decisions.
edit on 12-12-2013 by whitewave because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Just want to point out one little thing. A female friend of mine is a drone pilot. She left uniformed service a loooonnnng time ago.

There's some equality in your eye.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Not only are they not safe for civilians but when the US kills innocent men, women, and children and destroys property there is ZERO compensation, no apologies, and barely any acknowledgement the events even occurred.

To these Middle Eastern people, we are the terrorists.
edit on 12-12-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

This is exactly the ignorance I rant about. . .drone controllers either don't care or are ordered to attack whatever someone above them has deemed to be a threat.

I am wondering when, or if, there will be news of these drone attacking here in our own country.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I am incredibly proud to NOT be an american right now.
This is just horrible.
Someone should remind our president that his legacy will NOT be obamacare, but killer robots being controlled by people that have to make life/death decisions based an a small black and white video feed siting at 10000 miles from the road to peace.
Let's just remember when the next tragedy hits america, that there might be a few more reasons behind it aside form "they hate us for our freedoms."

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   

beezzer
This will get zero play in America or the west.

Now ten years from now, when a wedding party is leaving the church in Plainsville, Nebraska and is struck by an armed drone, people will get all upset and wonder why people don't do anything.

It's gonna happen people.

Exactly,
Posted this thread in hopes maybe this video can somehow open people up to the potential risks of these patrolling, this thread shared there;
"Video of a World Policed by Drones"- www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
This strike happened in Yemen.

Why were the drones even flying over Yemen in the first place? Did the U.S. ever declare war on Yemen? Or did they just violate the airspace of a sovereign nation just for the heck of it?

All this is confusing to me. Sure the U.S. operates quite a few airbases in Saudi Arabia, which is right next to Yemen. But am I missing something here? I thought the bad guys were in Iraq and Afghanistan, both of which are in the opposite direction to Yemen.

CX

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   

beezzer
This will get zero play in America or the west.

Correct.

However on this mornings news, they are all over North Korea for Lil Kimmy having his uncle executed, saying "this shows how sadistic the administration is".

Let's show what the world is doing, as long as it diverts attention from our own atrocities.

Sad. There goes the birth of yet another batch of people turned against the US and allies if they weren't already.

Nice one.

CX.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Outtis

This concerns the "war on terror" which has no country. Basically, the president can attack people in any country so long as he says it was because of the war on terror... he could even attack in England and say it was because Al-Qaeda was there. It doesn't matter. The war on terror is without border, and the president has full authority to kill anyone so long as he can claim war on terror.

So, really, its about terrorizing the entire world's population.. not any country the US has declared war on.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
A very sad situation. Just because people wear turbans and beards ( including the women) doesnt mean they are terrorists.

About time these weapons and incorrect decisions, were taken out of the possession of man.....

And given to computers!!.

Computers only operate on facts....

I will design a new computer system to protect man from himself....

I think i will call it....Skynet...has a nice ring to it.

Someone has got to setup and protect man from himself......why not let a computer do it?

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
did they get the chump they were trying to kill?

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by tsingtao

no

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

This is exactly what I was afraid of. The U.S. presence around the world was worrysome as it was a decade ago, but now that they can strike targets in any country on a whim is downright scary.

What saddens me even more is that the EU and UN seem to be perfectly fine with this.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Outtis
reply to post by OpinionatedB

This is exactly what I was afraid of. The U.S. presence around the world was worrysome as it was a decade ago, but now that they can strike targets in any country on a whim is downright scary.

What saddens me even more is that the EU and UN seem to be perfectly fine with this.

There is no oversight to any of this. It is the presidents say so alone.

Basically, people in the world are fine with this because they are afraid of Islamic extremists. So long as the US can keep killing innocent Muslims, then Islamic extremist camps continue to grow. So long as they are growing the world thinks what the US is doing is just fine by them. (keeps them safe you see)

In the end, hypothetically, if a corporation feels threatened by your business in x country that is becoming too prosperous, and they happen to have the presidents ear, they can have you killed, the president can just say you were linked to al-qaeda, and its all good, and the corporation gets what they want... you and your business out of their hair and the president looks wonderful because he eliminated a dangerous al-qaeda operative who was providing aid to them - your business see was only a front.

End of story. And its not a happy one. Your right, its as scary as it gets. But no oversight has always equaled scarey to me.

edit on 13-12-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Outtis

The UN would be because they want an NWO with one world government and countries that disagree will be obliterated by the drones and the excuse would be " Terrorism "

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join