It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News: NASA Curiosity rover discovers evidence of fresh-water Mars lake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
dear huntresses and hunters,

i thought i just gona share this one with you as it seems to be brand new:

NASA's Curiosity rover has found evidence of an ancient Martian lake that could have supported life as we know it for long stretches — perhaps millions of years.

www.washingtonpost.com... f45-61f69f54fc5f_story.html

www.foxnews.com...

use google search words: curiosity rover science mars lake

good news eh!
edit on 9-12-2013 by april1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by april1

hi boys

*ahem*

There are a lot of ladies here... just sayin'

Nice find. I'd personally love to see a manned Mars mission to further explore this possibility and more from our neighbor.

S&F

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by april1

I bet next time they will announce that they found evidence of salt water, following the discovery with evidence of seas on Mars and eventually oceans

Oh, and rain, hail, snow, fog and all agregate conditions of water

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Discovery of liquid water on Mars, combined with earlier discoveries of organic substances in a meteorite that came from Mars, and also of methane in the Martian atmosphere, all point to the existence of life -- contemporary life -- on the Red Planet.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
When they find remains of Martian snow-cones, things are sure to get interesting!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
would that be the 90th time they announce water on mars?

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by april1

NASA rover Curiosity finds ancient Martian freshwater lake that may have supported life

LOS ANGELES (AP) — NASA's Curiosity rover has uncovered signs of an ancient freshwater lake on Mars that may have teemed with tiny organisms for tens of millions of years, far longer than scientists had imagined, new research suggests.

The watering hole near the Martian equator existed about 3.5 billion years ago. Scientists say it was neither salty nor acidic, and contained nutrients — a perfect spot to support microbes.

"This just looks like a pretty darn ordinary Earth-like lake in terms of its chemistry," said project scientist John Grotzinger of the California Institute of Technology. "If you were desperate, you could have a drink of this stuff."

The lake likely was around for tens of thousands — perhaps hundreds of thousands — of years. Even when the lake dried up, scientists said microbes could have migrated underground, extending the timeframe for habitable conditions to potentially tens of millions of years. Curiosity, though, lacks the tools to search for any fossilized microbes.

The findings were published online Monday in the journal Science and presented at the American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco.

NewsDaily article

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Alda1981
would that be the 90th time they announce water on mars?

Something like that mate.

Frankly, and with the greatest respect to the OP..i'm actually getting bored with the 'water on Mars' dramatic announcements too.

Water is everywhere...i thought science had already established this a long time ago.

It's even on the bloody moon...so yeah, great, fantastic...water is all around, up and down..now let's get around to the dramatic intelligent life news shall we NASA, ESA et al?

And no, microbes don't do much more for me than the water news flashes for the Nth time...not since '95 anyway...that cat needs a saucer of milk...let it outta the bag already!

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
should the average person care about mars, if theres water there and whether we can live there?

Prob not, but when the elite and rich have finished and ruined earth atleast they will know where they are going, maybe?

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by april1

This is fantastic news, as yet again Curiosity has lived up to its name. By finding remnants of a freshwater lake this again points out that if anything was alive in that lake, it made have left fossil impressions in something that Curiosity will be near enough to photograph. Finding water on Mars is old news, but finding water on Mars over and over again within Gale Crater, with a semi-sophisticated Rover (semi because it wasn't equipped to test for past or present organisms, may I say the magic word: Duh!) traversing a lake bottom, once again deems this mission a roaring success.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by april1

This is fantastic news, as yet again Curiosity has lived up to its name. By finding remnants of a freshwater lake this again points out that if anything was alive in that lake, it made have left fossil impressions in something that Curiosity will be near enough to photograph. Finding water on Mars is old news, but finding water on Mars over and over again within Gale Crater, with a semi-sophisticated Rover (semi because it wasn't equipped to test for past or present organisms, may I say the magic word: Duh!) traversing a lake bottom, once again deems this mission a roaring success.

I will need to agree with this. Hopefully we can go to Mars sometime soon and start colonizing the Solar System.

top topics

join