It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Icemageddon shuts down major parts of North Texas

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Stay safe and warn, y'all.

Wunderground says it 18F right now in Denton....it's warmer than that up here in the Great Lakes are....at 22F.
Guess the open water is insulating us from the worst of it.....

Ice storms suck

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

MrLimpet
Spoke with friends earlier who live out by Lake Lewisville. Said there was a truck that lost control and went into the lake last night. (story below)

To all those living out there, stay safe & at home if possible. Driving on snow is not the same as driving on ice.

Truck plunges into Lake Lewisville

I was listening to the Lewisville Police radio as they were pulling it out. Happened around 3:50am. Someone also died in Ft.Worth after falling off a bridge to.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Here's what is was in Dallas a few hours ago, and compared to Anchorage, Alaska.

reply to post by beezzer

Folks up here take all this with a grain of salt.

I know there's some salt jokes in here for how TXDOT does the roads in Texas, but we cant seem to find any at the moment.....

edit on 7-12-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

G,day mate. thought i might just bugga your day right up. It is a very nice 25 french degrees here at the moment and i am wearing a pair of old cut down blue jeans and an old Aussie army issue jungle green shirt with the sleeves torn off. I have nothing on my feet and i have shaved my head. Oh. did i mention that the sun is out and the birds are singing. it is estimated that today's temp will hit 30 degrees cel.. Think i will go crack a coldie. er have a beer. lol. Have a good one mate.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

pronto

G,day mate. thought i might just bugga your day right up. It is a very nice 25 french degrees here at the moment and i am wearing a pair of old cut down blue jeans and an old Aussie army issue jungle green shirt with the sleeves torn off. I have nothing on my feet and i have shaved my head. Oh. did i mention that the sun is out and the birds are singing. it is estimated that today's temp will hit 30 degrees cel.. Think i will go crack a coldie. er have a beer. lol. Have a good one mate.

I took a 30 minute walk to 7-11 for some beers earlier. It's times like this when I seriously think about moving closer to the equator. Dang I need to get closer to that line

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Dianec

This morning we were told of a potential of -50 so glad that has been reduced - with wind chill - yet they didn't close the schools or any businesses. When there is ice - we drive super slow if it's not already covered with sand or salt. They don't close roads though.

Today - I thought it was irresponsible to not at least close schools. Kids wait at bus stops and it was reported some ran back home because they felt pain (I imagine on exposed parts of their body).

Best wishes to you there.

There was a story in Toronto about a woman who ended up losing both legs to frostbite simply because she thought she could walk from her apartment to the local strip mall in just a mini-skirt, when the temperature was -15C.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

G,day mate. 30 min. in that temp to buy a beer. Mate you gotta be as keen as mustard. I figured you blokes would be looking for a hot chocolate and a chair by an open fire. Anyway enjoy your beer mate

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

pronto

G,day mate. 30 min. in that temp to buy a beer. Mate you gotta be as keen as mustard. I figured you blokes would be looking for a hot chocolate and a chair by an open fire. Anyway enjoy your beer mate

I made sure to put a bunch of layers on, and a neighbor ended up giving me a ride home. They saw me carrying a case of beer and said "It would be a shame if you dropped those, have a ride with us." (They had a ton of beer to.)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

From Dallas Police:
Northbound 75 Central Expressway is shut down at LBJ Fwy

What road is the Northbound 75 Central Expressway? I could not find it on mapquest....

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Texas just isn't prepared for or used to getting stuff like this.

We went to a Cotton Bowl sometime in the early '00s, and I remember that we drove through horrible weather the whole way down. My poor dad was frazzled, but every time we stopped to get a weather report, it seemed like radar was indicating it was about to clear off. By the time we realized that was not the case and the horrible snow/sleet/freezing rain was going all the way down to Dallas, we were well over halfway there and figured we might as well go all the way.

When we got to Dallas and tried to get something to eat in the same area as our hotel, everything was either shut down or shutting down in the early afternoon because of the weather. Keep in mind that while the streets were bad, they certainly weren't anything like this and neither was the temp, and for a bunch of folks out of Kansas, this was just Winter Weather Advisory stuff. You didn't want to drive long-term in it, but for short trips ... eh, not a big deal.

So, I can only imagine how much of an inconvenience this must be for them if they haven't prepared themselves and their infrastructure any better than they were then because that was just a 1/4" at best and it was pretty much melted off by the time the game was done the next day, but they were at full-on, dogs and cats living together mass hysteria over it.

This is many magnitudes beyond that. All I can say if you live down there is batten down the hatches and don't go anywhere if you don't have to and hope that your electrical lines are buried.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by juspassinthru

en.wikipedia.org...(Dallas)

The best-known section is the North Central Expressway, a name for a freeway section of U.S. Highway 75 between downtown Dallas and McKinney, Texas.

I would assume that 75 is going to be getting bad again tonight, now that it's dark outside and all the slush is re-freezing

ETA - Here's a map from google. 75 is circled in red

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

And I think a second round is supposed to be on the way overnight and into tomorrow.

I know we're supposed to get a little snow out of this one tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

ketsuko

And I think a second round is supposed to be on the way overnight and into tomorrow.

I know we're supposed to get a little snow out of this one tomorrow.

I really hope there's no more sleet or anything coming down tonight. It is Texas weather, so I really wouldn't be surprised if more crazy stuff happens.

ETA - Last I heard was that everything that's slush is already refreezing, but we will have a few hours of sunlight and above freezing temps tomorrow, but will refreeze tomorrow night and will last into midday Monday. After that, Im not sure.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I haven't seen the latest on the new storm, so I don't know exactly where they are tracking it. I just know it's going to drop more precip on some folks who don't need it because they got hit the first time and head further east with the bulk.

Everything I've seen on late week for us at least (we're north of you), shows mid 30s, so you ought to thaw down there.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

A little ice and everyone goes crazy around here... Driving like they've never heard of ice. A guy I know was stuck on I-35E somewhere in Dallas for 3 or 4 hours last night. While sitting there, stuck, an ambulance trying to get to the scene of one of many accidents slid sideways on the ice into his car. No damage thankfully, but rather ironic.
I got called into work last second this afternoon (north Dallas), and am here until 11 PM... Lucky for me, everything outside seems to be freezing/re-freezing quite nicely!

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

pronto

Yep, thats the weather we get in the Dallas/ Ft Worth area July-September

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I'm 2 1/2 hours north west of Dallas and there truly is black ice EVERYWHERE. It'll be over a week before all this really melts off.

All gigs cancelled.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Here's some more info from for early Sunday morning. From the WFAA facebook updates.

www.facebook.com...

Fort Worth police say they plan to shut down ALL freeways in the city starting at 6 a.m. Sunday to clear accumulated ice.

All freeways in Ft Worth will be shutdown tomorrow morning. I have no idea how long they will be shutdown.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Another update for Sunday morning, also from the WFAA site.

Apparently, there will be "freezing fog" tomorrow morning now.

Areas of fog will develop around North Texas tonight and since temperatures are below freezing, a Freezing Fog Advisory has been issued until 9 a.m. Sunday. The visibility in Dallas has just dropped to 2 miles and as visibilities continue to drop, the fog may deposit a thin layer of new ice onto roads and bridges tonight. Just another reason not to travel through Sunday morning unless absolutely necessary. -aa

This is the first time Ive heard of "freezing fog" in longer than I can remember.

ETA - Im hearing that Ft Worth is pulling their earlier statement about closing all freeways tomorrow morning. Now they're saying they will go over them, but not actually completely close them, but will monitor and say what all is going on later.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Ericthedoubter

Ericthedoubter
I must have a really twisted european view of Texas.....I thought it was all baking hot desert and stone...tumbleweed...injuns,six-shooters and such....

Let me give you a little quote we're fond of in Texas.

If you don't like the weather, wait a little while - it'll change.

Texas has desert-like areas, hill country, grasslands, swamps and beaches. In Amarillo (far north Texas) - it snows every year (at least it did when I lived there).

We do have a Texas sized share of baking hot desert, stone and tumbleweeds - but the injuns have integrated or gone to reservations. Six-shooters are for purists (like my wife) - the rest of us carry semi-automatics (many are fond of the .45 ACP 1911)

You should come visit Texas some time. Ignore the nasty things people say about us - they're just jealous.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join