It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Icemageddon shuts down major parts of North Texas

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Well, it's been over 24 hours since the ice has been covering the streets here in DFW, and boy was it crazy out there today. Here's some of the craziness that has been going on. (I'll use the Fox 4 facebook, since they usually are the best IMO)

50 minutes ago

From Dallas Police:
Northbound 75 Central Expressway is shut down at LBJ Fwy

1 hour ago

Lots of people also asking about traffic on I-20 West of Fort Worth -- DPS advising WB I20 will be closed at 281 due to ice. 18 wheelers cannot get up Ranger Hill. - From DFW Scanner

Here's the biggest backup out of all the mess out there at the moment.

From North Texas Storms -- "12 Mile Backup on I-35 in Sanger. TxDOT has closed the highway from Sanger to the TX/OK Border. Drivers will be stranded in their vehicles tonight. The Texas National Guard maybe dispatched to rescue those people later tonight."

For those that don't know, Sanger is right above Denton, and that's a huge stretch of Highway to Oklahoma.

I left work around 11pm on Thursday night, and the roads were just then getting horrible. Ironically, work wanted me to come in today, but nope. Im not driving in this solid ice. I never understood why restaurants stay open on days like today.

ETA - Then again, all the slush is refreezing currently. Black ice everywhere. Just an example of how ill prepared Texas is for this stuff, there's barely any vehicles to plow the roads, and the ones we do have only have done the major major roads. Also, nothing was put on the roads (atleast that I know of), before the ice started hitting Thursday night. No salt was thrown down or anything. I think there's some sand trucks out there tossing sand around at the moment, but I have no idea how effective they will be by later this morning.
edit on 7-12-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

This morning we were told of a potential of -50 so glad that has been reduced - with wind chill - yet they didn't close the schools or any businesses. When there is ice - we drive super slow if it's not already covered with sand or salt. They don't close roads though.

Today - I thought it was irresponsible to not at least close schools. Kids wait at bus stops and it was reported some ran back home because they felt pain (I imagine on exposed parts of their body).

Best wishes to you there.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
And then there's also the structures that fall down. Stuff around here isn't build to handle a bunch of ice on it.

Marinas Collapse, Boats Damaged on Lake Lewisville

Several boats were damaged on Lake Lewisville after the roof covering several boat slips at two marinas collapsed.

Then basically every Apartment complex roof that covers cars in the parking lots are collapsed. Cant say how many friends took pictures of their collapsed roofs on their cars.

On the bright side, there wont be anymore rain coming in for awhile.

Another ETA - Red Cross has also set up a bunch of shelters across the area.

www.myfoxdfw.com...

I also have a few scanners up, and the Denton County Sheriffs Office is saying there's a few more up at the moment in Denton to.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Today - I thought it was irresponsible to not at least close schools. Kids wait at bus stops and it was reported some ran back home because they felt pain (I imagine on exposed parts of their body).

If it feels like -50 outside, I would feel the same way. When I lived in Minnesota as a kid, we would go to school no matter how much snow was on the ground. The only time they would close, is if it got way too cold. I don't remember the exact temp. that would cause closing, but we still went when it was around -15.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

The warning today said any skin exposed for 30 minutes or more would begin to see frostbite. Tonight the length of time was reduced to 10 minutes. Tomorrow there is a college football game. If they let them play in record breaking temps I'll be shocked. I mean fans have to cover every body part as it is and the players can't so how does that work - they get to freeze their lungs and get frostbite? It's supposed to be worse tomorrow so just not getting that.

In California - a small snow shower shut down everything (Bay Area). And here we are in record breakers and not making good choices IMO.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Yup, pretty cold out here in the west as well. You folks bundle up, stay inside, avoid the roads for a bit.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Nice thread! I had no idea any of this was going on this far south.

I'm in TJ Mexico and we are freezing our butts off. Here it's just really cold no snow or even frost but man is it cold.

I wish the best to all those people in -0 temps. I pray those stuck on the freeway have enough gas for the heater.

All the best.

The Rat.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Is it true that the southern states don't have cinder or salt trucks for the roads?Up here in Pa. you see the state trucks out before major winter storms laying cinders and salt.

If driving ...take it slow and be safe!

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   

buni11687
reply to post by Dianec

If it feels like -50 outside, I would feel the same way. When I lived in Minnesota as a kid, we would go to school no matter how much snow was on the ground. The only time they would close, is if it got way too cold. I don't remember the exact temp. that would cause closing, but we still went when it was around -15.
When I was in Navy bootcamp at Great Lakes,they wouldn't let us out when it hit -60.I would guess its different for children though.

edit on 7-12-2013 by crazyeddie68 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

crazyeddie68
Is it true that the southern states don't have cinder or salt trucks for the roads?Up here in Pa. you see the state trucks out before major winter storms laying cinders and salt.

We do, however there are very few of them. When I lived in Minnesota, our little county probably had 10x as many trucks as all of North Texas.

Also, we rarely get ice storms this bad, so we are very ill prepared for this. I believe we also use sand much more than salt. The trucks mostly do the major roadways to. Good luck on the smaller and residential streets out here.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Here's another update via WFAA Channel 8 facebook updates.

www.facebook.com...

UPDATE: We just got an update from Denton Police. HUNDREDS of 18 wheelers are parked along I35. No one is getting through now. Police are asking drivers to stay away from I35 in the Lewisville/Corinth area and Sanger as well. Are you one of those stranded?

Basically, all of i35 E from Oklahoma to Lewisville is closed now.

Here's a little map I drew. The pink line in the green circle is where i35 is. The pink is all closed.

ETA - Had some fun with mapquest also.

Only 44445 hours, 18 minutes to get from Lewisville to the Oklahoma border....

Also Im still listening to the Denton Co. scanner, and there's some sheriffs out there stuck on the side of the road to.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

crazyeddie68

I live in far North Fort Worth just about spitting distance from Denton County line. Don't despair, this isn't the first time we have ever had cold and ice like this. We typically don't need plows. This is North Central Texas and the weather is moody here. Give it a couple of days and it will all be gone.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I must have a really twisted european view of Texas.....I thought it was all baking hot desert and stone...tumbleweed...injuns,six-shooters and such....

Dang!

It's under -40°C!

Your toes will snap off in ten minutes!

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I'm in North Dakota.

It's a bit chilly here as well..

Stay warm!

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Spoke with friends earlier who live out by Lake Lewisville. Said there was a truck that lost control and went into the lake last night. (story below)

To all those living out there, stay safe & at home if possible. Driving on snow is not the same as driving on ice.

Truck plunges into Lake Lewisville

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

beezzer
I'm in North Dakota.

Stay warm!

geez....beezzer...it's friggin' artic up there...gives new meaning to the term "dress in layers".....hope you don't freeze your roasted chestnuts off
edit on 7-12-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Several boats were damaged on Lake Lewisville after the roof covering several boat slips at two marinas collapsed.

My boat was one of the many that were damaged by the collapsing boathouse. I was told that they are cutting ties loose on the boats due to the dock sinking under the weight of the ice and that I may have to hire someone to "salvage" my boat. I'm about to risk the conditions and get to Lake Lewisville to meet up with some friends so we can tow my boat to a safe location before someone "salvages" it and charges me out the wazoo to reclaim it. What a freaking wonderful weekend this has turned out to be.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

jimmyx

beezzer
I'm in North Dakota.

Stay warm!

geez....beezzer...it's friggin' artic up there...gives new meaning to the term "dress in layers".....hope you don't freeze your roasted chestnuts off
edit on 7-12-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

It's all about the layers.

And taking your time and planning when you have to go out.

But it's been like this for a few days here. You get used to it and look forward to temps above 0 !

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I heard a brief news report that 700 flights had been canceled out of DFW airport and that 4000 people spent the night in the airport. Good news is DFW is huge and can handle that many people sleeping all over the place. When a child I lived between Ft. Worth and Dallas... Some of the worst weather, largest hail stones, blue northers, and beautiful sunsets I have ever seen. Stay safe... I would not care if the schools were open or not my kids would have stayed home.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Folks up here take all this with a grain of salt.

I can't imagine down south.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join