It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NVIDIA Fan Builds Amazing Gigantic GTX 690 Lego Replica

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

In the contest for Nvidia’s biggest fan we’ve just seen a serious contender, a man under the username Super8844 on Techpowerup.com’s forums posted pictures of his large scale replica of a GTX 690 made out entirely of Legos.

Given this replica is quite a bit larger than the actual GTX 690, the attention to detail is absolutely incredible.

Making use of a modeling software from Lego he was able to plan out all the parts he needed and how to construct it, and followed up by buying a lot of bulk basic pieces as well as some pre done sets just to get things he couldn’t buy in bulk.

(Link)

Talk about dedicated. The attention to detail is quite amazing. Even if you are not a fan of the green camp (NVIDIA), it's difficult to downplay this guy's efforts. He is clearly an enthusiastic, talented and determined individual.

Not a groundbreaking story that will change the future of technology, but still a nice break from all the doom and gloom threads for those interested in computer technology. The GTX 690 is part of NVIDIA's last generation of graphics cards. Basically, it is a single graphics card containing two graphics processing units (GPUs) on a single board.

edit on 6/12/2013 by Dark Ghost because: formatting

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

I hope NVidia buys this from him

I just bought a cheap new PC with an GTX 650ti card in it (is it any good?) I will upgrade the card in a year or so when star citizen comes out.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

That's actually pretty awesome. Now he needs to get to work on a giant computer cabinet to put it into!

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Im a huge fan of Nvidia, Ive been working in the PC industry for years. My contract working for Nvidia in WA was the best contract Ive ever had; they treated me well and paid fair, and their product has always been cutting edge in the field of PC graphics. I still use my GTX 280 eval board with gusto and enthusiasm, like it is the new fascinating technology of tomorrow.

I will always support Nvidia for their innoation and hard work, yet they still layed me off while their head dev played guitar hero more than he fixed driver issues. It it not thier or my fault he is a class A d-bag so I forgive them, just not him.

As for a bigger than life size lego GTX 680, well this kid has me topped for dedication, or well, he spends way more time playing video games

Nice post, thanks for sharing

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

boymonkey74

I just bought a cheap new PC with an GTX 650ti card in it (is it any good?) I will upgrade the card in a year or so when star citizen comes out.

650 ti is nice but it's definitely on it's last 3 years of being able to play newgames on mid-high at 1920x1800.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

The problem with stories like this is it just proves to me that the only people who can afford these top of the range cards and the only people who can afford these top of the range cards.

I wish I could afford one, but I can't.. so I won't be making any leggo replicas of the card I don't have.

It's like those people who can stick 30 7970's in 10 custom build crates with mb's and psus and mind thousands of dollars in cryptos. Only they can do it..

Rich people ...

I'll just take a screen shot and then print it out at the library for $.80 a copy.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
WTF Ive been missing a lot of #ing gray legos and my erector set JK

seriously this should be in the member art forum I have a great appreciation for this guys accomplishments

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I know the feeling.

The best advice I have is to open an internet-only account with your bank that you can transfer $10 per week into that you don't touch. It takes discipline, but it's worth it if you can get a high-end card after 8-10 weeks of saving.

Just keep a picture of that shiny new card at the front of your mind and you can do it!

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   

I just bought my new PC on my credit card

I have been working hard all year and deserve a treat
I will pay it off in a few months...I just wish the ruddy thing would arrive..

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
His friends look forward to trying their new video cards out on their new rigs ... Firing up a demanding RPG or FPS game ...
He, on the other hand, got his new high spec card, rushed home barely able to contain his excitement, rushed straight passed his parents, and the dog, straight to his bedroom ... locked the door ... and, instead of opening his PC box, he opened the lego box, let it rip,

no one saw him for several days, til he emerged from his dark musky room, with a huge smile of achievement, holding a huge giant lego nvidia video card ... his parents were soooo almost impressed .. they tried so hard to be impressed ....
"Eh .. WHat is it" ? .. His father enquired ...
"A huge lego video card" .. his son announced proudly ...
His mum hesitated, as she tried to think of some words to say, to show some sort of pretend interest ... "WHats it used for" ? .. she asked obligingly ...
Her son took a moment to think of an answer .. but nothing came to mind, as he dipped his head and said nothing...
Oh how his parents did try to be proud ...
"None of you understand me" !! .. he yelled, as he rushed back to his room, sobbing .. again, with the door locked ..

All in jest ... fair play to him ... I love seeing people who are as geeky as me .. tho i cant boast a huge lego video card, but i did once make a giant size replica of a simple one celled organism using some cotton wool ... and i had a cloud in the background, which i made with elastic bands ..

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Wow some people have waaay to much time on their hands. lol

Personally i spend way to much time playing games to be making Lego models of a GFX card. I guess some people never grow out of toys

A strange sentence from the source article :

Given this replica is quite a bit larger than the actual GTX 690, the attention to detail is absolutely incredible.

Its not incredible attention to detail if the replica is larger, making it larger makes it easier to copy the original.

edit on 7-12-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
That's pretty cool. How many LEGO cores are there? Brick pipelines?

Can it handle BF4?

I'll stick with my AMD 7850 for a while. It hasn't let me down yet.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

boymonkey74

Star Citizen won't be released in the next three/four years, Squadron 42 will though a bit earlier.

The Card is great for current generation games, and you will have no trouble playing next gen releases for about 2 years. But in order to play the final release of Star Citizen you will need to upgrade big time, current high performance cards and in general computers will be able to handle Star Citizen with mid to low graphics quality/options.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
My inner geek is absolutely gitty over this right now.
That's very cool! +1, nice find -- this reminds me that I need to upgrade soon

~Sovereign

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

Early 2015 according to their release timeline.

starcitizen.wikia.com...

I have the hanger and I will see how my new card handles that (when it arrives) but I will get a better card by the time it is released.

new topics

top topics

join