It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White student union: Equality or racist?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Sorry Mods I know its a cliche but if in the wrong forum please move.

OK so I just saw an ad on youtube for a channel called Vice, seems like a user generated news channel with lots of mini doco's and alot of interesting stuff.

I came across this

Now I do believe that if there are Black/Hispanic/Muslim/Christian groups why shouldnt there be a White group as well?
Having said that, it makes my skin crawl Im so conditioned that even I as a white guy think its sort of racist to have a white group. Even here in Asia where we are the minority I think it would still be considered racist by most people???

I started watching the vid and it very quickly seemed to me like it was a racist group.

2 questions for anyone who watches the vid

1) do you think "white" clubs in the way of student groups, scholarship funds, pride organisations etc etc are racist/acceptable?
2) do you think this group is a racist group and if so should they be allowed to continue to meet as a group?

This is mainly aimed at Americans but I would be interested to hear from anyone who watches the vid

Cheers

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I don't even need to watch the video!

What is wrong with racial pride and being proud of whom you are and where you came from. Wrongs/Rights whatever! Why does sins of the father carry over?

If one group can celebrate their "WHATEVER" then is it not MORE RACIST to deny another group from celebrating their "WHATEVER"?

I used "WHATEVER" on purpose! Why? Because what is good for one, should not be deemed bad for the other....

Freedom is color blind! It's those whom choose to separate themselves and demand that they are MORE special than any other group, are the ones whom are the most racist and tyrannical than anyone else!

Just my honest opinion. I know it doesn't mean squat, but that is how I see this whole Dod Gamn Racist garbage!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

1) do you think "white" clubs in the way of student groups, scholarship funds, pride organisations etc etc are racist/acceptable?

They are racist, as are any racial clubs or organizations. Are they acceptable? As long as they aren't taking public funds to do whatever they do then it's their own business.

2) do you think this group is a racist group and if so should they be allowed to continue to meet as a group?

They are a racist group as are all groups aimed at a particular ethnicity. They should be given the same freedom afforded any other racist group.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
If there are black clubs and hispanic clubs and asian clubs then there should be white clubs.
Equal means equal. If people don't like the white clubs, then they'd better not like the
black and hispanic and asian clubs.

Side note ... the 'diversity' group at my daughters college should be renamed the
'anything except white club'. My hispanic daughter is avoiding them. She knows
racism and a hate-whites-club when she sees it.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I think it is one thing to be proud of your ancestry, your heritage, your history, where you came from and what your family has done that you stem from. We carry our family names for a reason.

But it's another thing to just think "white pride" is anything. You were born, you don't get to choose what skin you were born into.

It's luck of the draw.

Having said that I absolutely believe there is a great divide in how people are treated based on skin colour and that it is very much swayed against whites in this day and age despite the constant accusations that it's a white man's world. It's bloody well not, you know. The old thinking is outdated, frowned upon and castigated wherever it is found, yet it is used as reasoning to continue 'affirmative action' when no such action should be required.

two people of equal ability should not be treated differently based on skin colour. Anything that prevents one from achieving something the other can achieve, is a detriment and wrong. Be it legislation that should be fought, or bigotry that should be combated.

But not implemented by design so that one has less to overcome than the other, because of physical characteristics.

So if group A want a group A only club, that denies group B from participating simply by the colour of their skin, I say cram it with wallnuts, ugly.

Level playing fields work great in the past where it was policy to keep people in segregated castes. Level playing fields today create inequality and entitlement. Self empowerment goes a long way to creating equality. Not policy based on fixing the past.

IF someone says that group A NEEDS a special segregated club in order to participate in society, what they're effectively saying is that without that segregation, they are less than everyone else who can manage on their own...

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

You nailed it! I used to get into many heated debates with persons of other than white backgrounds. I lived in a very close knit community and most of them knew that I was not racist, but if I addressed affirmative action many started to automatically assume that I was. The single point I tried to make(which you made very well) was that it is wrong to be discriminated against, even if it is for good.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

As a white female I feel it's very unfair and STRANGE that everyone is allowed to have a "group" except white people. When whites have any sort of group it's considered racist and personally I find that offensive.
Why can't we be proud of who we are? Why are we not allowed?
I am proud of my (Viking) Isle of Man heritage and celebrate it accordingly no matter who likes it, no matter who considers it racist! It's my right and to me that does NOT make me a racist.
One's heritage does NOT create racism, racist people create racism. Take that as you will.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Staroth

As a white female I feel it's very unfair and STRANGE that everyone is allowed to have a "group" except white people. When whites have any sort of group it's considered racist and personally I find that offensive.
I am proud of my (Viking) Isle of Man heritage and celebrate it accordingly no matter who likes it, no matter who considers it racist! It's my right and to me that does NOT make me a racist.
One's heritage does NOT create racism, racist people create racism. Take that as you will.

This is because whites on average live lives of higher quality than minorities, or this is at least what most minorities believe, and for that, whites must be penalized for this..

This is evident also in that most people call our president the first black president, even though it would also be just as accurate to call him the first white president who had a black father. But the white half is not EVER given any credit in his heritage at all..
This is that same penalty to whites that is always in force.
edit on 5-12-2013 by alienreality because: added

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
The problem is that we risk going to some very ugly places if this continues.

There shouldn't be formal associates based on race.

Informal associations I can understand. People are more comfortable with others who are like them, but informal groupings are very much more broad based than just ethnic associations. As a geek, I tend to find and group up with other geeks, for example, in fairly informal clubs. But large, endorsed orgs like the NAACP and La Raza (gotta love something called "The Race") or black/white/purple w/ green spots student unions or frats/sororities shouldn't exist.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

alienreality

Staroth

This is because whites on average live lives of higher quality than minorities, or this is at least what most minorities believe, and for that, whites must be penalized for this..

This is evident also in that most people call our president the first black president, even though it would also be just as accurate to call him the first white president who had a black father. But the white half is not EVER given any credit in his heritage at all..
This is that same penalty to whites that is always in force.
edit on 5-12-2013 by alienreality because: added

But do that really?

There are a lot of poor white people in the world, and there are a lot of fairly well off to outright wealthy minorities.

And this belief that white people must be "penalized" is symptom of the problem.

This is like the Jews crucifying Jesus because he wasn't the warrior messiah come to bring down the Roman Empire and liberate them from it.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Whites are obviously and definitely being punished for something, and it isn't slavery..

By punishing whites for having a superior life (average), minorities are ensuring that racism against whites continues, and in doing this, are inadvertently saying (in not so many words), that whites are in fact superior to them in certain ways and having more advantages, and this is not fair, and so the MSM are using this as a wedge to create super money making liberal causes which the government promotes, and they do promote it by never speaking against the way the media portrays the situation.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

alienreality
reply to post by ketsuko

Whites are obviously and definitely being punished for something, and it isn't slavery..

By punishing whites for having a superior life (average), minorities are ensuring that racism against whites continues, and in doing this, are inadvertently saying (in not so many words), that whites are in fact superior to them in certain ways and having more advantages, and this is not fair, and so the MSM are using this as a wedge to create super money making liberal causes which the government promotes, and they do promote it by never speaking against the way the media portrays the situation.

I know this is exactly what happens, but I think the superiority, if it exists, is a cultural one. Take a minority child raised by white parents to a middle class white culture and background and the child will likely acquire the social tools of a successful individual. I could cite my own husband as a sort of example, or we have a nephew of Hispanic origin who has been adopted by my husband's older sister who will have the same cultural background as he grows.

Or how many children of minority ethnic origin have been adopted by white parents and grow up to be successful individuals (Hispanic, Indian, Asian, African)? They grow up with a culture that is successful and go on to succeed in spite of any racism they may encounter.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I didn't watch the vid. I believe what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Not allowing whites to celebrate their heritage is discriminatory.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I earned my degree from a small private college and my high school diploma from a small private school. About a year ago I enrolled in a program at my local community college (tax-funded) because I wanted to learn something else. I always pick-up the student newspaper while walking to classes at this community college. I do not exaggerate when I say that during the last year and a half, 75 percent of the stories, editorials and opinion pieces published in this student paper are race based. On any given day at this school somebody is celebrating their heritage. Somebody is emailing me to attend a celebratory heritage event. Somebody is writing about the ongoing collective struggle of a minority group. Though not stated, the general idea is that if it weren't for the racist white people, everyone would be much better off.

No offense but I'm a white female. Reverse racism is alive and well.

An older male student actually tried to establish a white student union as an official school organization last year at this community college. This drew much criticism according to the student newspaper. He was interviewed and his argument was basically this -- Why are white people forbidden from enjoying that sense of community and camaraderie that people apparently experience when they belong to an organization of people who are united on account of their common race and heritage?

edit on 12-5-2013 by TruthLover557 because: la la la di da da da da

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Everyone should be able to protect their own. Be it cultural heritage, beliefs and yes, even race. I do not adhere to the belief that we should all be "one". My lines of thinking is the day we all become one color, is the day we're dead as a human species. We're all different, and that in itself is worth celebrating.

Blacks (or Africans rather) should be proud of who they are.
Hispanic people should be proud of who they are.
Asians should be proud of who they are.
Whites should be proud of who they are.

If blacks can have special interest groups, so should the whites. So should everyone. Either make it equal for everyone, or remove it for everyone. Just like how blacks can't choose to be black, whites can't either. What happened far beyond the majority of us were born, is not our fault. And when it boils down to it, everyone was guilty. Including Africans.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

seeker1963

I don't even need to watch the video!

"I'm lazy and about to chime in on a thread when I don't even know a damn thing about the topic we're discussing! I'll just say the most common thing that could possibly be said on this forum to get a bunch of stars from other clowns who are also content in having the investigation skills of a sea anenome!"

The people commenting after not watching the video are being incredibly ignorant in the exact definition of the word.

This group is not advocating for the same things that other race groups advocate for.

They are advocating for a society that is ONLY white and has ZERO diversity. They are in favour of forced racial segregation.

Of course if this was simply a group to say "I'm white and I'm proud, this is a group of white people an we want to say that just like everyone else", there would be nothing wrong with that. If they were saying "We're white and we're raising money to give struggling white kids a leg-up" that would also be fine.

That's not what they are saying.

They are saying "We're white and this group wants to push the idea that European heritage should be preserved by not allowing other races to be present in society".

That's what they're saying.

Why you would bother replying on a thread about a video that you didn't even watch and pretending your opinion has any shred of validity is absolutely ridiculous.
edit on 5-12-2013 by TheRegal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
DP

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRegal

The OP asks two specific questions. Sorry you find it "absolutely ridiculous" and "ignorant in the exact definition of the word" that some of us only answered question number one and skipped question number two. Must be really hard for you to deal with.

I don't watch videos posted on this site by anyone whatsoever. I don't visit youtube, don't get news by video, don't have TV and don't watch movies. I guess I'm ignorant.

You could have enlightened us on details of the video to spark a more fruitful discussion without insulting those participating in that discussion. The OP asked whether something is acceptable. People gave their opinions. All opinions are valid, so get off your high horse.

And as a side note, you said:

Of course if this was simply a group to say "I'm white and I'm proud, this is a group of white people an we want to say that just like everyone else", there would be nothing wrong with that. If they were saying "We're white and we're raising money to give struggling white kids a leg-up" that would also be fine.

What group on earth would get away with saying either of those statements? I would like to know because I don't believe it's possible for such a group to receive public support in America for being in the right. Society says there is absolutely something wrong with any organization that serves to the benefit of white people only.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I appreciate the comments so far,

This video really got me thinking, even before I watched the vid, I went from "its racist" to "no its equality" twice. While watching the video it quickly became obvious that the group was a racist organisation.
They didnt come right out and say it but unless you have your head up your behind it was obvious, credit to the leader as he does do a somewhat decent job of hiding it.

In this vid Whites were focused on but Im guessing if you spoke to the leaders of any of these racially motivated groups they would be equally as racist.

Is there anyone here who has ever joined a race based group? what were your motivations? Was it racist in the sense that it promoted your race as being special or superior?

edit on 6/12/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

TruthLover557
reply to post by TheRegal

The OP asks two specific questions. Sorry you find it "absolutely ridiculous" and "ignorant in the exact definition of the word" that some of us only answered question number one and skipped question number two. Must be really hard for you to deal with.

Let's take a closer look:

IkNOwSTuff

2 questions for anyone who watches the vid

I'm not going to apologize when I find it incredibly disrespectful to the original poster that so many people have come in here with a chip on their shoulder and their minds made up about an issue that they did a total of zero investigation on.

It's idiotic. Not sorry.

And to answer your question:

I personally see nothing wrong with a "white group" given the current systems in place, provided they have goals that aren't ridiculous mideval nonsense and seeking to perpetuate ideals that have proven to create social failure over the course of history.

Would it work in America? Probably not. The country is full of closed-minded sheep with no intellectual freedom.

However, if the whole issue of race groups were up to me at all, there would be no race groups anywhere. People should be working for the greater good of everyone, not some specific ethnicity -- that's racist. I'm sure there are 3 white kids who need help and don't get it for every 1 black kid who also could use a leg up. Why we would ever create a group for the interest of a particular ethnicity is beyond reason.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join