It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holiday Joke -OR- Offensive Message

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
It's that time of year where 'Political Correctness' [PC] seeps into just about every issue where Religion is concerned....mainly for Christians.

Well for fifteen years, Lighthouse Baptist Church Pastor Mike Butzberger from Florida has put up a different slogan on his front sign every week. Except this time, some individuals did not find the humor in the short message

'Christmas easier to spell than Hanukkah'

NORTH PALM BEACH, Fla. - For fifteen years, Lighthouse Baptist Church Pastor Mike Butzberger has put up a different slogan on his front sign every week.

"Something encouraging, inspiring, informative and occasionally for the purpose of making them smile," says Butzberger.

A recent sign read, "Christmas easier to spell than Hanukkah."

As Rabbi Alon Levkovitz stated, although the sign may have been in poor taste he did not find it offensive.

The Pastor claimed he overheard a person say that it was easier to spell Christmas than Hanukkah to a friend during shopping and it made him smile.
Which is truthful being as there are several ways to spell Hanukkah.

The reason for different spellings is that in Hebrew, the language from which the Jewish festival originates, the word for Hanukkah is not easily transliterated into English. This accounts for why there are so many spelling variants. But Hanukkah and Chanukah are the two versions that are most widely used and accepted.
Scholars disagree about how to interpret the Hebrew word for Hanukkah.
But one common interpretation is that it means “dedication.”

Hence why spelling Christmas is easier.

Or also known as 'Xmas', which is even shorter.

It doesn't sound like the comment on the sign was intended for any thing other than humor.
Which I have to admit, some churches do put catchy slogans on their signs to make you laugh or stop to think "WTH" just to get your attention
That's what it's all about.... getting one's attention.

As the Pastor stated:
"We live in such a politically correct climate, people are literally searching for excuses to be offended and outraged," said pastor Butzberger.

I do believe that there are people who thrive on making others uncomfortable with this PC crap.

Regardless, he did remove the slogan so as not to offend any one
*sigh*

--JOKE--

edit on 5-12-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
It's a joke. Geez... When exactly did so many folks lose their ability to find any kind of joy in the world around them?

This PC BS (because that's what it is) is almost like some kind of contagious disease people are "choosing" to get infected with. I think we have too many people that are always looking for a reason to put another "nail in their cross" (no pun intended). They thrive on being some kind of insulted martyr. I am not sure when it got so ridiculously out of control.

As far as him removing the sign to avoid "offending people".... I wonder if he is aware that there are tons of people that get offended just driving by any kind of Christian message? It wouldn't matter what he put up there, SOMEBODY would successfully find a way to be offended.

If churches start catering to everyone's hurt feelings they have failed in the very things they preach about IMO. It was a harmless joke. It isn't like he was degrading the Jewish holiday, he just made a comment on how hard it is to spell it compared to Christmas. As hard as I look, I can't find the treachery in that.
edit on 12/5/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Ya Corpmas is kinda easier..

Its the best holiday ever.. really.. We go out on "Thanks"giving night for like a whole month spending money we really don't have on half ass crap we really don't need... so some snobby person can turn their noses up at that crappy ass fruitcake you spend 4 weeks looking for just so you can show this person you love them.

Also Corpmas is just a gimmick ploy used by Coke back in the 30's as a marketing campaign...

There is no religion involved here..

As for actual religious reason for Corpmas being as it is.. Please share with me.. All lessons I learned as that Jesus supposedly was born in the summer or something...

Anyway the offensive part.. meh, get over it..

Corpman trademarked by me..

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

At least he put the 2 together in the same sentence, as in 'Unity'

No putting down either belief, only pointing out the spelling difference

When people get their knickers in a knot over a simple silly thing like this, it makes me wonder what their home life is like.
Do they even understand what a 'joke' is? Humor??
Evidently not

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   

snarky412
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

At least he put the 2 together in the same sentence, as in 'Unity'

No putting down either belief, only pointing out the spelling difference

When people get their knickers in a knot over a simple silly thing like this, it makes me wonder what their home life is like.
Do they even understand what a 'joke' is? Humor??
Evidently not

I always wondered the same thing about people like that and I always felt that maybe their life was just that boring. They need to find something to make it not so boring and I guess being offended makes it a little less ho hum. Either that or they are just miserable people who want everybody else to be just as miserable as they are.

Who knows. They need another hobby either way.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

being offended is a choice. I'm tired of offended people that want other people to change what they are doing or saying because of a choice they made to be offended.
seems like a joke to me and funny.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I think it's good advertising work of some very creative guys, and it wouldn't wonder me if these creative people happen to be Jewish.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I can see how it might make sense to some, pick your religion by how easy it is to spell.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Exactly roadgravel. It totally is giving that message away and it also gets attention on the whole religion thing that is a hot item nowadays almost everywhere in the world. So yeah, this seriously is very well thought of!

new topics

top topics

join