It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The fossilized "Root" and a rectangular "Porthole" on Curiosity Sol 438, 439

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Arken, you should get a job at a quarry, you'd love it there
(I'm jokin ya, don't worry)

Normally I have a chuckle at such Martian stone shape threads, you know the ones with rat weasel shaped rocks, lizard rocks etc etc. Admittedly though the second image does look out of place. It's like a mini goal post, like the kind you drew on a wall to play football when you were a kid (That's soccer for our American friends)

Forgive my ignorance as I'm not fully aware of what the rover is capable of, but is it possible that is sampled this rock or drilled/lasered into it? I'm thinking No as it hasn't already been mentioned.

Finally as previously mentioned the vertical lines don't fully reach the bottom which basically makes it useless, even to a martian. Still looks odd though, you should have made the thread without the first image imo

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I'm not trying to hurt any feelings but I don't see anything in these two images that look anything other than rocks. A lot of people were saying the first didn't but the second photo 'HAS" to be artificial (paraphrasing of course) the 2nd photo has me baffled as to what the OP has seen that he felt it should be placed on here.
I have seen more interesting rocks around my home (I live in the Southwest Desert of Arizona) we have natural bridges, domes, holes through solid rock (some are dozens of feet in diameter).
If these same natural Southwest rocks were found on Mars there would be a gaggle of posts showing 'obviously artificial' structures.
ROCKS OP, just ROCKS... post when you find something that really is interesting, everyone spends a lot of time 'trying' to imagine what you are seeing (at least I do!) just to be disappointed as usual!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Hey Arken, nice find, and as often is the case, there is much, much more than what the eye sees.

The first pic, to me is not a rock slab at all - as evidenced by the shadows and angles which do not match-up with models of hypothesised objects. Rather - and almost nada, zilch, zero people or analysts agree - it shows the presence of a meta-material-like object. This object we can see in this instance because of the local environment effecting the surface of the material to produce a "twindling" effect which we can see in this great picture. This swan-like light peturburance is at an oblique angle from the viewer. As a later poster to the thread has noted:

captainradon
Notice there is a strange sort of distortion in the photo above the "branch", like a heat haze. I wonder whether that is evidence of Photoshopping.

It is not evidence of photoshopping, rather it is evidence of light manipulation by Higher Life Forms. Some have suggested that the rovers (Opportunity, Curiosity and Spirit previously) are each surrounded by this meta-material-like objects, which the HLFs place about the rovers and use to hide, obfuscate and disguise their presence. There has also been a suggestion that the HLFs are using some sort of computer-like sampling of the environment to replicate the visible light. This often produces images that are of a different tone, colour or, even of a different location. Some amusing slip-ups seem to have occurred in the manipulation of light by the HL'Fs that the rovers sometimes capture through sheer luck of timing and position. IMHO.

The second pic is very intriguing. I won't go on record and say it is direct evidence of HLF existence or previous existence in any way. However, the shape and location does suggest that a box-like cavity was filled with debris, the walls or sides of that cavity have eroded, leaving what appears to be a rectangular fracture in the rock. It is very, very interesting. Given the nearby location of the light anomaly, and chronological differences noted by MSL vis-à-vis the area of interest - interesting changes as the rover closed in on the area - there are some artifacts that need explaining. This is currently outside of MSL mission.

IMHO, this is changing as we speak - note that we have had the best pics yet of Curiosity's destination. Certain things are being hidden still but as we make the run through the mesas and get near the base of Mt Sharp, I expect astounding finding to come-forth. Fingers crossed. Great thread.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Blister

Maybe... you are not so far from the truth...
Star.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Will be like turning the lights on in a full stadium... it will be awesome!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

There are times where you read, " It's a rock." To me Arken there are too many times you have put up something that I can not and will not allow to pass as just a rock. You have a keen eye for such things and to me people that let this just pass without a moments thought really need to rethink what they are doing on here. From the time I joined this site a year ago until now I have enjoy all of your works and I hope you keep it up. The first picture almost looks like fossilized reef from the ocean. The second WOW!!! I mean seriously!? It's like it was in the process of being cut but never got finished! Good find my friend!

edit on 3-12-2013 by VoidWalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

arken,

the first picture is highly reminiscent of a wishbone structure. Could be a fossil like you said or artificial

s&f

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I like how this rock seems to be standing on its edge:

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I've been looking at that picture as it is a cool image with lots of interesting features when I noticed something odd , to my eyes at least .
Above the point of interest in this thread there are lots of rocks but one rock appears to me to either be hovering or .....Pasted in !

Download the picture and take a look .... is it just me being fooled by an optical illusion or has that rock been pasted in ?

Now I've seen it it sticks out like a sore thumb on the full image

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidWalker

You have a keen eye for such things and to me people that let this just pass without a moments thought really need to rethink what they are doing on here. From the time I joined this site a year ago until now I have enjoy all of your works and I hope you keep it up.

Thanks for this comment. It is really important.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wulff

Please send me a picture or pictures of rocks that seem to have right angles like image 2 in Arkens OP. Truly I would love to see the natural rocks that are as impressive as this said rock.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Blister

HOW DID YOU GET A PICTURE OF MY WIFE?!!? Off subject sorry guys and gals

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

No kidding... good optical illusion... as there seems to be a shadow below and to the left of the "hoverer" right where a rock hovering in mid-air would have one... sheesh.

Nice find... I can't get my eyes to stop seeing it either, if that's any consolation.

Edit: Hours later and that STILL looks like a rock hovering ...or thrown?? WTH? Looking at the surroundings that rock is in front of the surrounding scenery and that splotch is its shadow and that means it's in mid air OR that's the best accidental optical illusion I've ever seen. Could the rover's movements kick a rock up? I would not think so. Meteor? Either way coolest thing I've seen on Mars pics in a long time, heh.
edit on 12/3/2013 by Baddogma because: adding incredulous head shake

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Is it just me, or does that look like a huge footprint on the bottom right corner of the second picture?

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Baddogma
reply to post by gortex

No kidding... good optical illusion... as there seems to be a shadow below and to the left of the "hoverer" right where a rock hovering in mid-air would have one... sheesh.

Nice find... I can't get my eyes to stop seeing it either, if that's any consolation.

Edit: Hours later and that STILL looks like a rock hovering ...or thrown?? WTH? Looking at the surroundings that rock is in front of the surrounding scenery and that splotch is its shadow and that means it's in mid air OR that's the best accidental optical illusion I've ever seen. Could the rover's movements kick a rock up? I would not think so. Meteor? Either way coolest thing I've seen on Mars pics in a long time, heh.
edit on 12/3/2013 by Baddogma because: adding incredulous head shake

FYI, it can be very difficult to tell the actual position of certain objects - even here on Earth. Below, see the floating piece of driftwood on the beach? Brilliant optical illusion:

files.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidWalker

From our private album, sorry. Hey but there's some with you in she gave me.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Forget the portal, everyone missed the best fossil. Below and to the left of "the portal" is the clear dinosaur fossil head.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

And can you see what appears to be written on the edge of the "rock", just below what you have pointed out?

JADE or JARE (?)

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 3-12-2013 by Blister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Blister

Damnit I kept that album in my sock drawer! I hope you like my selfies lol

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Blister

That driftwood illusion makes the Mars rock floater the second best accidental illusion I've seen. Thanks...

Though maybe the wood actually WAS in the air... they do call it "driftwood" after all... heh.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join