It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stoning Of Adulterers May Be Legalized In New Law

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Hongkongphooey

Spookybelle

Metallicus

Spookybelle

Aleister
reply to post by zillah

And the American government wants to stay and protect these cretans for another ten years? Anybody who stones someone else to death should be stoned to death. Period.

Rocks.
edit on 25-11-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

Your applying your own morals and ethics to other people and that in itself is as horrible as stoning someone. Not every society believes what you believe and until you are anointed Overlord of the Universe you probably shouldn't demand everyone follow what you want.

That has got to be the most ignorant comment I have read in a long while. There is no world where stoning someone for simply sleeping with a person of their choice is okay. No human being should condone this kind of moronic behavior. You are simply dead wrong on this one.

Its not my opinion, its just a fact.

Not everyone believes as you do and if they do not than you are saying they are wrong. Do you think the Aztecs were wrong for practicing human sacrifice?

Probably you do but what gives you the right to judge others?

Sorry? what gives Aztecs or Muslims the right to practice human sacrifice or stone people??? Oh, are they not judging people??? Unbelievable hypocrisy! Of course the Aztecs were wrong in practicing human sacrifice, what idiot would say they were right???

They would say they were right. Why do your views trump theirs?

Are you saying that you are morally superior to the Aztec civilization?
edit on 26-11-2013 by Spookybelle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Spookybelle
Break this issue down philosophically for a moment and step outside of the box society has raised you in.

If two people are on a deserted island and never had contact with other humans and one man decides its ok to kill his roommate and the other believes it is not,

who is right?

There are no morals, ethics, values from which to pull from. There are only these two men and nobody else.

Can you prove that one man is correct and the other is wrong?

"What about natural rights" , you may say?

I would reply with the question of, "Do natural rights exist outside of a society? Or are they given by society itself?"

Are you asking me belle? Or the other posters.
I'd gtfo off the isle. lol
edit on 26-11-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Spookybelle

If two people are on a deserted island and never had contact with other humans and one man decides its ok to kill his roommate and the other believes it is not,

who is right?

There are no morals, ethics, values from which to pull from. There are only these two men and nobody else.

I can...

IF there are only two men on this desert island... It would be better to work together for the betterment of both, then to kill one and make it a solo mission...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

I was just throwing it out there. I find this a fascinating subject.

I think most people find this kind of brutality repulsive but why do they?

People better than I have theorized that its because that is what society has instilled within them to think. Had they grown up in a different society with different values they would think differently. That particular issue has been proven to be relatively true.

I will try to find the studies that show that.

For example, you may think its horrible to kill tigers for dinner for any number of reasons but if you were raised in an Asian community with no outside contact and that was an inherent practice for your group, you would have no problem with it.

Your disgust with killing tigers is not inherent, it does not come from within you rather it is put onto you by society, what you have learned and how you have learned it. Shows you watch, comments from parents, teachers, friends and so on.

There is nothing that says killing tigers is good or bad outside of what you have been told it is. Now look at a community that considers stoning to be acceptable, they are raised that way, its been practiced, people accept the rules. It is no different to them than understanding that you will get a speeding ticket for driving too fast in America.

It is not justifiable to expect a different community to live by the standards that yours does when all the influences on the people have been completely different. This is why the US presence in Afghanistan is having little to no influence.

The US Army thought that destroying all the poppy fields in the first couple years of the war would make farmers grow new crops but they found out that growing poppies is what they know, what they do, and how they prefer to live. They were brought up that way and its normal. They are not concerned about world issues or what happens in Texas with heroin addiction. Its why the military gave up and just let them grow it.

There is far more to the question about "stoning" than just assuming its right or wrong.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Just go back to using the Scarlet Letter and inform the Ladies that Sperm likes to edit the Hosts DNA!!

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Akragon

who is right?

I can...

IF there are only two men on this desert island... It would be better to work together for the betterment of both, then to kill one and make it a solo mission...

That was originally my first response when I was asked this question, to which my professor replied, "would it still be wrong if there was only enough food for one man to live"?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Spookybelle

Akragon

who is right?

I can...

That was originally my first response when I was asked this question, to which my professor replied, "would it still be wrong if there was only enough food for one man to live"?

Yes...

In that case death is inevitable... so why prolong the agony of slowly dying

End it...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

And what is your justification for saying that yes it is still wrong?

If you believe in nature than it is normal for one to survive even if it means having to kill. If you believe it isn't than you are finding justification from a higher source which would be "God".

God preaches that taking another life is a sin but so is taking your own. As all sin is equal in the eyes of God than where is your justification for one over the other?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   

I suppose we could ask that question about the US and the states and Government vs the individual too right?

Why did people choose to have a small group of people meet in one area, to tell everyone else what to do? rofl Then they broke it down to the MICRO. They could have just as easily said ok we're all free. Go do whatever free people do. That's not what happened though is it. You are told basically by a foreign entity these days even where to park. I just got out of the thread where a man was fishing. Basically went to jail for it. and when I tried to explain its not right to do that, someone doing the exact same thing came along and argued I was wrong. heh. The irony. Compare:

A man sees a lake and says oh fish, I'll catch one.
Another man gets on the internet and sees pictures he wants, then uses one.
neither had permission.

One went to jail, the other didn't. When really, no one had to go anyway. So where do we get this sort of urge to control the other and why do we resort to jailing or even killing the other when one doesn't agree? How is it natural to pursue that type of strict level of conformity? Doesn't it make more sense to agree that so long as no one does the other harm, everyone is free to do what they please?

what harm is there in adultery for example. emotional harm? mental harm? are there not other people out there one can marry? If so, why stone the one who doesn't want you. Does that make sense? On some level doesnt pursuing order create more chaos?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Isn't sacrifice better then taking in God's eyes?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Spookybelle

Hongkongphooey

Spookybelle

Metallicus

Spookybelle

Aleister
reply to post by zillah

And the American government wants to stay and protect these cretans for another ten years? Anybody who stones someone else to death should be stoned to death. Period.

Rocks.

Your applying your own morals and ethics to other people and that in itself is as horrible as stoning someone. Not every society believes what you believe and until you are anointed Overlord of the Universe you probably shouldn't demand everyone follow what you want.

That has got to be the most ignorant comment I have read in a long while. There is no world where stoning someone for simply sleeping with a person of their choice is okay. No human being should condone this kind of moronic behavior. You are simply dead wrong on this one.

Not everyone believes as you do and if they do not than you are saying they are wrong. Do you think the Aztecs were wrong for practicing human sacrifice?

Sorry? what gives Aztecs or Muslims the right to practice human sacrifice or stone people??? Oh, are they not judging people??? Unbelievable hypocrisy! Of course the Aztecs were wrong in practicing human sacrifice, what idiot would say they were right???

So your saying that a society that slaughters people by human sacrifice is right because they believe they are??? What about the right to life? Yes I think I am morally superior to the Aztec race because I don't believe in taking the life of another human, in the name of belief or for the sake of it! The fact that you think that it's ok to take another persons life, because you can or because your more powerful, tells me everything I need to know about your beliefs!

So if someone murdered or stoned your wife/husband/brother/sister/mother/father it would be ok for you because they believed it was correct??? Come on, stop it!
edit on 26/11/13 by Hongkongphooey because: typo

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

Yes indeed, you can apply this logic to almost any scenario.

That's why I enjoy discussing it.

I especially like the Hobbes v Locke debate on natural rights v state rights.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   

gardener
A more suitable punishment for adultery?

Lorena Bobbitt comes to mind

ya the only problem with that is im sure there is a zero% conviction rate for men and im betting close to 100% conviction rate for women..mostly rape victims..you know adulters as sharia law likes to call them
thats pretty much what we are talking about here
edit on 26-11-2013 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Hongkongphooey

Spookybelle

Hongkongphooey

Spookybelle

Metallicus

Spookybelle

Aleister
reply to post by zillah

Rocks.

Say you saying that a society that slaughters people by human sacrifice is right because they believe they are??? What about the right to life? Yes I think I am morally superior to the Aztec race because I don't believe in taking the life of another human, in the name of belief or for the sake of it! The fact that you think that it's ok to take another persons life, because you can or because your more powerful, tells me everything I need to know about your beliefs!

So if someone murdered or stoned your wife/husband/brother/sister/mother/father it would be ok for you because they believed it was correct??? Come on, stop it!

But the Aztecs believed that taking lives would benefit their society, usually through blessings in agriculture, but also on many other levels also.

What you are doing is placing yourself on a pedestal and judging those beneath you according to values you have. If someone were to stone my husband it would not be ok because our society, myself included, have decided that doing this is wrong.

If were to live in a society where it was not considered wrong, I would not believe it to be so. We are a product of society, not the other way around. You can see this in something as small as cultural differences in terms of what is American as opposed to what is German.

Although we share the same basic beliefs in regards to major issues such as the right to life, we differ on other ones because of what our different societies have instilled in us.

There is nothing that says something is right and something is wrong until a group of people get together and decide it is so.

Are morals, ethics, and values actually something that is consistent and inherent in every human being upon conception or is it something that is given or forced upon them after birth?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by zillah

oh yeah... let s all live in a global Saudi Arabia...

morons... get off the old Testament eye for an eye- style... it does nt lead anywhere, except to even more grief

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Spookybelle

Yes

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Getting stones is what Afghanistan is all about. Did you think they grew those flowers just cos dey pretty?

More adultery, more getting stoned.

Oh, wait...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

starfoxxx

Spookybelle

Yes

I'm not so sure. the Aztecs believed in what they were doing. They didn't think what they were doing was was wrong. Here in the US we have the highest prison population and claim to be the freest country in the world. Some see incarceration as a method of of maintaining order. The Aztecs too then had an order and they maintained it until it was interrupted by outsiders who also thought they were morally superior.

Hundreds of years later I can cross the border and I can see the same behavior and its still over plants and God. On some level, they are providing you with a service that your country wont let you handle on your own, and they're dying for it.

Still feel morally superior? I'm not so sure I do.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Nephalim

starfoxxx

Spookybelle

Yes

I'm not so sure. the Aztecs believed in what they were doing. They didn't think what they were doing was was wrong. Here in the US we have the highest prison population and claim to be the freest country in the world. Some see incarceration as a method of of maintaining order. The Aztecs too then had an order and they maintained it until it was interrupted by outsiders who also thought they were morally superior.

Hundreds of years later I can cross the border and I can see the same behavior and its still over plants and God. On some level, they are providing you with a service that your country wont let you handle on your own, and they're dying for it.

Still feel morally superior? I'm not so sure I do.

I am not American, I live in Asia and respect the laws of the country I live in however, you ask me 'who am I to judge?' but fail to understand that the Aztec's and Muslims are themselves judging who lives and who dies and I say none of us have the right to take anothers life1 If everyone respected that then there would be no murder, no war, no executions and I say it would be a better world!
edit on 26/11/13 by Hongkongphooey because: typo

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Hongkongphooey

Exactly!!!!! I'd be afraid of anyone who was for human sacrifice or stoning people to death. An ounce of common sense tells you right from wrong, good from bad.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join