It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, how DID you survive without a cellphone

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Spookybelle
reply to post by kloejen

No offense but that makes as much sense as not upgrading your computer.

Are you against technology or something?

Is it ethically wrong for you to use gps for directions?

Does the ability to access a game of solitare no matter where you are keep you up at night?

God forbid you might want to capture a picture of a stunning event that you happen to pass by.

I don't get your fear. Its as if not upgrading is some sort of badge of honor with you guys. I think its rather silly and foolish.

No disrespect meant at all of course. To each their own I say.

None of the above, but so far reading down this thread I see no mention of the massive amount of microwave radiation that the use of cell phones has introduced into our lives. Since the arrival of the cell phone masts in our village there have been several incidences of cancers, including my partner, that are proportionately far more than there used to be.

The technology may be useful but it is killing us - all of us - even those who do not wish to participate. That is just the tip of the iceberg. Look at the effects of microwave on the bees and other insects, on the birds and various non-human lifeforms essential to the survival of the human race.

I don't need GPS for directions. I look at a map before I leave and that is sufficient. I don't feel the need to play solitaire just because there is nothing else to do. I am confident enough to live with my own company. I don't feel the need to capture a stunning event with a microwave emitting device, I use another device for that called a camera. My cell phone is just that - a phone and usually it is as far away from my person as it can be.

I am NOT against technology, I am a computer programmer so that would be silly, but I also do not see the point of embracing pointless technology just because someone has decided that we can't live without it. We now have adverts on the TV that state without meaning to, that as per the picture in the post above, people are walking around texting are like zombies with no awarness of their surroundings. This behaviour can cause accidents, even death. Is embracing technology worth your life?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

GoldenObserver

I STILL survive without a cellphone, very easily I might add, although I am the ONLY person that I know without one.

NO You are NOT alone ... You belong to a small exclusive club on ATS along with
myself and other members being :-

# Happyi
# Taissa
# Pikestaff
# Dick7704
# Orionthehunter
# rickymouse
# TKDRL
# Midyew
# buster2010
# Tardacus
# Ph03n1x .... IF he hasn't relapsed Lol!!!
edit on 25-11-2013 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

You left out smoke signals.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

buster2010
reply to post by Spookybelle

Yes you can live without it, but not as well.

Oh please. I have never had a cell phone and I see no need to carry an electronic leash around.

Get with the program, buster.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I remember when I was young I used to turn up at my friends homes, unexpectedly (yup, totally out of the blue) to ask if they were coming out to play! "LOL"

What happened if they were busy? Yup, you walked back home.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Spookybelle
We survived but not nearly as efficiently as we do today. They are a wonderful piece of technology.

You may miss the days of getting lost and looking for a phone booth, hoping the phone book isn't ripped out, just so you can find an address, but I prefer to get that information almost instantly.

Cell phones are such a great transitional bit of technology that I have completely forgotten about life without one.

I was out a while back and had to find a pay phone and came to an "egad!" reality check.

My brother still has an old 60s/70s era turn dial phone that works and it hooked up at his home. Its not even push button. I like using it and even call it to hear it ring.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I only just got a cell phone 4 years ago. It's the $100 T-Mobile pay as you go version.
No bells and whistles. No internet. No fancy stuff. No email. And no texting.
It's just the basic phone. It's our 'home phone' and I carry it with me.

And I survive just fine.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
No cell phones for me. All I have is a land line. Cell phones are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive! I think it sucks that some jobs require you to have one. You better pay me at least fifteen bucks an hour if you want me to carry a cell phone for your business buddy!

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
There is nothing ruder than someone on their cellphone whilst in a check-out line. I've seen people completely ignore the cashier in favor of chatting away on their phone.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Spookybelle
We survived but not nearly as efficiently as we do today. They are a wonderful piece of technology.

You may miss the days of getting lost and looking for a phone booth, hoping the phone book isn't ripped out, just so you can find an address, but I prefer to get that information almost instantly.

Being able to call my husband if the car breaks down while keeping the doors locked is far safer than having to walk around the city looking for a place to call.

The severe weather alerts and Amber Alerts have saved lives.

Yes you can live without it, but not as well.

Life was just fine before them.

Just because you're too weak to live without a cellphone doesn't give you the right to tell me what makes life easier.

Grow up.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I must have the only 13 year old girl in the world who doesn't want a smartphone. She has a pay as you go flip phone that she uses to call for a ride when she's done with sports or band. Her complaint is the constant use of smartphones at school and events pushing out any human interactions with other kids. Try to have an actual face-to-face conversation with someone who has their nose glued to their phone and is texting four other people at the same time. I guess the bus rides to games tend to be very boring now-a-days with no one willing to actually verbalize.

So, cellphones good for practical purposes. Too many bells and whistles and you lose the human contact.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I have a cell with internet, love it because I can send and receive pictures of the kids and grand-kids and embarrass them, a tablet, a lap top, and a desktop. and I used to play with jacks.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Oh don't get me wrong.

I love having a cell phone when I can afford it. The same is true of cable - which I don't have. We settle with the converter box. It's a fiance issue. If I could afford those things - I'd have them. I miss them.

When the kids get older and move out on their own - I imagine getting those sorts of things for myself again - but for now - their needs come first. I don't receive any assistance from the state - so food, shelter, utilities are all on me. We just have to go without the extras till later in life. Such is life.

CdT

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I despise cell phones for 2 personal reasons, my ex can now call me at any hours to complain about how much money she needs for whatever reason, oh and now my work can call me on my days off to see if id like to come in and work some more.

I hate them lol

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
What cell phone problem.... ??

Shopping with your bff

Hanging with the bros

A day at the carnival

Getting some exercise

I do. LOL

In a lunch meeting

Praying for our sins

A day at the museum

Out for a stroll

Sightseeing

Meow. Purr purr

Call me...

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

actually when I get seperated from my daughter or friends while shopping that phone comes in handy.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
While I would have hated for them to exist while I was in High School because it would be very hard to date mutiple girls without getting caught, I now find them to be of great use. I feel much better with knowing my wife can contact me anytime anywhere if she needs me. I also enjoy having access to all the infomation in the world in my pocket. And it makes traveling a breeze to get where you need to go, to find local mom and pop places, to get show times and locations etc. It allows a degree spontaneity in life that just did not exist before. Living without one now has gotten much harder than it was in the past. The death of phone booths and public phones in general has almost removed that option. Even along interstate in FL they have removed all the call boxes for cost reasons because nobody uses them since everybody has a cell and now you just text a certain number. Heck most people I know do not even have home phones anymore. I suppose that people went through the same thing with the transition from telegrams to phones as well.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I still survive without one. I now have one, for my road assistance, and have to remember to recharge the whole thing once in a while, and keep headset in the car, and pay 50 plus tax, a month for the lovely ordeal, of something that I hope to never have to use, because unless my car is stuck on the side of the road, it will not be used ever. I get along just fine.

I pay 50 dollars a month for something I don't use to have road assistance if needed but use my home pc, and our regular phone for everything else and am not out alot.

So maybe that's it, its for people who are out alot.
edit on 25-11-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I'm like you.

I only have a cell phone for the purpose of roadside assistance when I'm driving on the highway to go do some shopping... nearest city is a 2 hour drive on the highway through the boonies where we live. And it gives hubby peace of mind to know that he can check on me once in a while to make sure I'm not dead in a ditch somewhere along the way.

Otherwise, it just sits on my desk at home turned off.

I've had the same old flip cell phone for close to 20 years. No internet, no bells, no whistles.

The way I see it, $50/month is a small price to pay should the time ever come that I truly need to use it (hopefully never)... like an insurance policy.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Several months ago I actually decided to buy one. I went to the store to buy it and they were out of stock on that model. I looked online, out of stock. That was months ago. I'm in no hurry to get one. If they offered a good smart phone with java and flash with at least 2 gig of data and maybe 60 minutes per month of talk time all under $20 per month for the service, I'd buy one.

I noticed one person whom I would be most likely to call is almost always on the phone at the time I would be calling. No point in calling at that time with any phone.

Maybe I'm waiting for Apple or someone to come out with a holographic display and keyboard with large letters so I don't have to struggle with a tiny keyboard. The power requirements probably would be enormous to do that. Maybe cell phones need to run off of fuel cells and you could set them down to use holographic displays that are several inches across.

I would be waiting a really long time if I wait for 3d holographic displays apparently.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join