It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, how DID you survive without a cellphone

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I don't have a cell phone. I gave them up about the time everyone started getting them around here about eight years ago. I had one since about 89, back when the big bag phones were around. It was expensive back then but it did work good for the business and I would say it mostly paid for itself in savings of labor costs and increased job productivity.
edit on 24-11-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Spookybelle

May I ask how old are you?

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

rickymouse
I don't have a cell phone. I gave them up about the time everyone started getting them around here about eight years ago. I had one since about 89, back when the big bag phones were around. It was expensive back then but it did work good for the business and I would say it mostly paid for itself in savings of labor costs and increased job productivity.
edit on 24-11-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

Erm can i ask what is your avatar of

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Spookybelle

One day, when we have a microchip implanted in our brain stem that does all of these things we will have threads here wondering how we survived when we only had cell phones.

Technology advances.

One day when you have a chip in your brain stem perhaps.
Some of us will refuse to accept machine parts in our bodies.
Frankly, I'm surprised anyone views this as inevitable or a necessary part of progress or evolution.
Does this raise no ethical concerns for you?
edit on 24-11-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Spookybelle
reply to post by kloejen

No offense but that makes as much sense as not upgrading your computer.

No offence taken

I keep my computer upgraded with what i need. I don't rush out and buy the latest GFX-card and such, coz i don't play the new FPS games anyway. I do however still play the old Unreal Tournament '99 (im 39)

Are you against technology or something?

Of course not. Love it. I am a computer programmer since 1994. So i love new tech stuff, it's just that many features i simply don't need.

Is it ethically wrong for you to use gps for directions?

Ethically wrong? LoL No! But i do remember how to find my way around. I can look up maps on the web, if i need to find a specific location, before i travel.

Does the ability to access a game of solitare no matter where you are keep you up at night?

Do you mean "Not" the ability? Either way, when i'm out, i watch and talk to my friends and strangers when needed. I hate it when talking to a friend, and they pull out their smart phone to check FB or whatever, then return to the conversation, its downright rude, imho! They do not do that anymore
The point is, when with friends, then we are together, and talk. No need to check FB constantly. Do you?

God forbid you might want to capture a picture of a stunning event that you happen to pass by.

Yeah.. maybe catch a crappy picture of an UFO? No, i got a decent camera for that.

I don't get your fear. Its as if not upgrading is some sort of badge of honor with you guys. I think its rather silly and foolish.

No disrespect meant at all of course. To each their own I say.

Who gave you the impression that i am afraid? I'm not afraid. I just don't need all that functionality. It's just more distraction. I can be distracted when i am in front of my computer. But when out, and with friends, i feel refreshed to be "out of the loop" for a few hours.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Spookybelle
One day, when we have a microchip implanted in our brain stem that does all of these things we will have threads here wondering how we survived when we only had cell phones.

Technology advances.

There is no need for RFID chips or the like. People are already willingly buying the chips (smart phones), charge them for free, and carry them around, sharing all their activity with big brother, whether they want it or not. It's much easier this way don't you think? Think of the nightmare if everyones chip had to be physically upgraded

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I used to have one, I chucked it overboard into the ocean a while back. Caused more trouble and difficulty than it solved. Was not worth having. So now I don't have one, don't want one.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
we used to plan things out, back in the day.

i got my first cell in 2001. first pc too.

it's great to have all kinds of stuff/apps and internet on it, but i only need the phone and camera.
(i have my wifes old f4 iphone)

we got rid of our land line, no real need.

link   
reply to post by mlifeoutthere

I found a ground rock with a hole in it in the yard that was unearthed when I dug the basement of the house. I have a picture on my wall here of what it looked like with the stranded clay plug in it. The clay looked like it was an old handle at one time. files.abovetopsecret.com... The hole looks like a marrow hole of a bone

link   
Technology was cost prohibitive back in my younger days. Microwave ovens, digital clocks, boom boxes and math calculators were like 2 billion dollars

...except for the rotary phone we RENTED from Ma Bell. We didn't even own the phone we used for fifteen years.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Spookybelle
We survived but not nearly as efficiently as we do today. They are a wonderful piece of technology.

You may miss the days of getting lost and looking for a phone booth, hoping the phone book isn't ripped out, just so you can find an address, but I prefer to get that information almost instantly.

Being able to call my husband if the car breaks down while keeping the doors locked is far safer than having to walk around the city looking for a place to call.

The severe weather alerts and Amber Alerts have saved lives.

Yes you can live without it, but not as well.

This is hilarious - efficiently - the mobile tool as an instrument of efficiency. Nonsense.

The cell phone is a distraction and interuption to efficiency.

I have one, rarely use it and mostly find it a nuisance. I even worked for a company, briefly, that didn't have phones, everyone had to use their own personal mobile and it was the most disorganized and chaotic business I'd ever seen. Not to mention putting cost on to employees.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

shockedonlooker
Technology was cost prohibitive back in my younger days. Microwave ovens, digital clocks, boom boxes and math calculators were like 2 billion dollars

...except for the rotary phone we RENTED from Ma Bell. We didn't even own the phone we used for fifteen years.

And that phone worked for fifteen years not six months.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   

No cell phones. No computers. No electronics.

No recorders, no VHS, DVDs, Blue RAY, MP3's. No IPHONES, no tablets, Walkman's, video games of any kind...all were not invented yet.

3 black and white tv stations with rabbit ears antennas that went off-air around midnight.

We lived a far different life. Yet...we did live.

If there ever is an attack with an EMP pulse...and all electronics everywhere, all the above, all the lights, all the gas stations and food stores are dark...and all of us cant call home or our friends or for help to find out what going on, where to go or what to do...it will be our own fault.

We have all we need and more now a days with tech....but this generation and the previous couple of gens....never knew what it was like to not have all the above. They know no other way.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
My wife and I have not had a cell phone for going on 8 months. We have a house phone for calling people when we need to and use the internet for general chit chat.

I really don't understand how society has become so dependent on them.

Now the Internet....You can pry this keyboard from my cold dead hands

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I barely touch my cellphone anyways, It's why I'm a very difficult person to contact. I live peacefully and happily without it, I must say. Barely anyone texts me, since I only use it for emergency reasons, or to update my parents or boyfriend on my whereabouts when I'm out of the house, and that's all. I'm not glued to it, nor do I see any need to be attached to it. I got my first cell when I was 18, and still don't use it that much... I'm notorious for not using my cell.

I'm 21, and I just find it sad in regards to how the newer generations are becoming zombies detached from reality at the click of a few buttons.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Some people still live in areas that have no cell phone coverage!
(Me.)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I STILL survive without a cellphone, very easily I might add, although I am the ONLY person that I know without one.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I have been free of facebook, twitter and mobile phones for almost 6 months now and i have never been happier.... gone are the days of 3am phone calls and constant messages now the only way someone can reach me is if i contact them first....

i have spent time reading that would have otherwise been spent on facebook and my entire outlook on the world has changed..

my younger siblings think it's ridiculous that i dont have a phone, they can't comprehend life without one.. i hope that one day we will all outgrow this ever increasing needs for gadgets but i honestly think we are stuck with it now... technology has taken over the world.. it is utterly terrifying
edit on 24/11/2013 by Ph03n1x because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

shockedonlooker

God NOOO! Not the Harvest Gold/Burnt Orange/Chocolate colored phone that was built like a MAC Truck! We had those too! We "rented to own" the phone. Man alive... memories. The best you could do back then was buy a 50 ft. cord and stretch it to it's limit if you wanted any kind of privacy.

Thanks for the flashback. lol
edit on 11/24/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

technology has taken over the world.. it is utterly terrifying

You may be surprised to learn that your fear of technology is not new. In fact, the US as well as other countries have expressed this during each jump in technology. Let me share with you an article in regards to the "evils" of electricity from an actual article written in 1901 I believe.

Electricity Sparks Fears in 1900?

ELECTRIFIED PORTSMOUTH, NH BRIGHT IDEA IN 1900?
JANUARY 1900
A Reporter's Notebook

Electric, electric, electric! The way people bandy that word about nowadays, you'd think electricity is the new salvation of mankind. That attitude is particularly "on the wire" this week as the Old Town by the Sea hurtles relentlessly from the comfortably familiar 19th century into the unknown landscape of the 20th.

This writer, however, urges caution as we contemplate the coming Electric Age, admonishing readers not to entertain Utopian flights of fancy. Certainly this modern miracle has its usefulness, but for every labor-saving benefit, electricity brings us -- something, we fear, is lost in the trade.......

.....But to see the future, a local pundit informs me, one need only walk down Water Street at night where the incandescent glow of electrical lights beckon hapless sailors from across the Piscataqua to visit houses of adult entertainment. Vice and corruption, it seems, have deep pockets. Electricity is the new Jezebel, seducing our young men into the arms of immorality.

www.seacoastnh.com.../

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join