It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anxiety Disorder.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   

hypervigilant
Anxiety is a symptom, not a disease.. More than likely the medication you're using has a lot to do with the symptom you're experiencing. As much as I depended on the same medicine to control anxiety the worse the anxiety became and the more dependent I became.

Respectfully disagree.

Although anxiety is a symptom, it can also be a disorder.... see the DSMIV for that.

People react differently to different medications and different doses. Sometimes anxiolytics actually cause excessive anxiety. This is due to how the drug is being metabolised in the body by the individual.

Did you just take medication for your anxiety? Any other treatment? If you just took medication and didn't partake in a form of counselling or psychosocial interventions... chances are that anxiety med was just a bandaid solution that didn't address the underlying issues of the anxiety or help with making anxiety easier to manage.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Metallicus
reply to post by Chukkles

ETA: You are asking what you are dealing with and it is usually a chemical imbalance in your brain that causes social anxiety disorders. I am not a medical professional, but this isn't your fault. It is a physical problem that often requires a medical solution.

You are awesome!

I just wanted to also point out for any others, that anxiety isn't also just a chemical imbalance. Anxiety can be caused by how neural pathways were formed and sometimes even because of an issue with the structure of the amygdala.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   

new doctor first me thinks (im also a sufferer) good luck

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Also, you may want to limit your time spent on websites like this one that contain all sorts of topics that will spike anxiety even in people who don't have anxiety disorders.

I have a depression/anxiety disorder (two sides of the same coin) and on my more vulnerable days there are topics that I just don't even click on here, because I know they'll just make things worse.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Certain things can trigger them and the sooner you get a correct diagnoses the better.

What I found out is I am not crazy, you are not crazy, basically your adrenalin is surging,

www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au...

When the body is faced with immediate danger, the brain orders the autonomic nervous system to activate the ‘flight-or-fight’ response. The body is flooded with a range of chemicals, including adrenaline, that trigger physiological changes. For example, heart rate and breathing are accelerated and blood is shifted to the muscles to prepare for physical combat or running away.

A panic attack is said to occur when the ‘flight-or-fight’ response is triggered but there is no imminent danger. A person may experience the symptoms of a panic attack in harmless and apparently stress-free situations, such as watching television or while asleep.

Usually extreme stressful event will trigger them, this needs to be understood and treated or it just escalates, for me it was to late.

After my mother died, they started, I was home-bound and paralyzed with fear, twenty-four seven.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

maryhinge

new doctor first me thinks (im also a sufferer) good luck

I agree

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I wanted to add I was usually stressed out most my life too, people and crowds made me uncomfortable ever since I can remember.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Uh yes he can help you. It's called anti-anxiety medication. Go see a Psychiatrist. A MD's job is to give you about 15 pills and refer you to a Psychiatrist as they specialize in the field. His job is not to leave you crippled. People who suffer from anxiety disorders such as Panic Disorder or Agoraphobia are very crippled by it. You can also visit the ER because of it and the attending physician will likly give you 15 Xanax and refer you to a Psychiatrist. The going medication is Klonopin though and it works just fine once you get the right dose.

For the love of God change doctors. What a retard.

Also don't forget to leave a review about how stupid this doctor is on Google. I read those and so do other people before we choose services.

edit on 24-11-2013 by Pimpintology because: of his early childhood vaccinations.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Chukkles
reply to post by infoseeker26754

I find it very easy to type, have been typing inane thoughts out on Internet for about ten years now.

I never have to meet you, I never have to look you in the eyes and never have to feel you looking me in the eyes. Which is awesome because I can't maintain eye contact for more than a couple split seconds.
I will never feel judgment here like I do IRL.

Even so, I can't get into the real nitty gritty on here.
edit on 24-11-2013 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

Could try writing a book you know. Use that anxiety and create it into a storyline. Then you can express yourself in ways you would have not considered; maybe you have. If there was something to consider really is not being able to express yourself as you are!

Holding it in only caues it to become stronger over time, it would seem you need to actually do some soul work with this one. Hey, aint judging though, hell might have the samr thing as you just worked on it myself some, and still are!

My faith is not in Dr.s, yet some go out on a different way of doing things yet get the down side of it later by their peers! You could go have your cards read, ask around through to find somebody who actually does read them! I read them, yet most do not come back! If it is the Truth you are seeking, okay, Now if the truth comes biting at you and your not ready to hear, do not ask!

Or if you like, go to Ifate.com and do it yourself. Many things there to use to know things about yourself! Just remember to ASK Please before the question though. And a word of warring, do not play it off as just a game
It will slap you in the face!!! Even Abong would not be able to help you since you now opened the door to self awareness!

Peace

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Still no contact, no questionaire.
I have called my doc up and have to call back if I want to find out why they're doing this to me.

I broke alot of walls down last week and am now rather painfully rebuilding them.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I feel for you. I have had my own problems with Panic, and the truth is, it is not fear that one feels, but rather a form of seizure. Psychiatric medicine is quite draconian, and the best kept breakthroughs in understanding the disorder have been made by military doctors treating veterans. In fact, Paroxetine, which is the best and worst drug for treating panic disorder, was invented by the military in the 80s and only released for public use years later. None of the side effects the military had documented like intense pain, and dissociative disorder experienced during the loading phase, feelings of electric shocks when discontinuing the medication, were disclosed, so the product monogram was devoid of their findings when it was released. In fact, the military made tremendous efforts to prevent the drug from obtaining FDA accreditation because they had begun using it in their super soldier program. Apparently, it could induce a state of apathy and fearlessness if taken in larger doses over longer periods.

Anxiety disorders are statistically on the rise, and the treatment for the disorder still remains relatively in the dark ages. I have worked closely with several close friends who went from jumping out of airplanes and racing cars to completely isolating themselves from society. Sadly, one hung himself, and another opted for electro shock therapy, despite my protesting. The truth is, people will do anything to make the pain stop. It is not a state which can be rationalized away, despite popular opinion, but rather a point where autonomic functions particularly respiratory and circulatory systems kick into overdrive.

Most of the research I have read points to severe serotonin deficiencies, where patients have had a history of depression but have the ability to cope with the disorder, but begin to experience panic only when they reach an extremely exhausted state. As though the body triggers panic to prevent the individual from completely shutting down. Many of the reported cases have a history of head injury, childhood trauma like concussions, or very low testosterone. Exposure to radar equipment, ramp operators, people living near airports cell phone towers and areas where microwave radiation is prevalent, have shown higher incidents of panic, so there may be a correlation there.

The best treatment remains Paxil. The problem is that paxil incites panic during the loading phase, which is 6 months, not six weeks. Many people are unable to follow through with the treatment because of the stress of the loading phase, and then they drop the medication and suffer severe withdrawals that leave them worse than when they started. SSRI's are overperscribed, and dangerous medications, but there are some who can benefit from them. If you are one of those people, you do not need to sit in the dark, but you do have to consider it a long term treatment. First thing to do is make sure it is not environmental. Move, Eat well, exercise, then go over your personal accident history, family history, see if there is a link, then consider the meds.

Good Luck

AX
FTNWO

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Chukkles
So I've been affected by this for most of my life starting pre teen. I never knew exactly what it was, I just thought I was highly depressive.

It affects me in all areas of my life and part of it is that I avoid most if not all confrontation and pretty much avoid getting close to anyone.

I have a select couple of friends that I can't talk to as openly as I want.
I've avoided taking my self to the doctors about it the entire time, 21 years.

So I had a bit of a break, I found myself needing to get this sorted for whatever reasons.
I was really quite irratic in the doctors office, he told me he can't help me but I'd get sent a questionnaire by the people that can.

That was a week ago now and I'm absolutely losing it, how can anyone professional think its acceptable to do this to someone who suffers from anxiety.

I haven't spoken to anyone about it yet as I still don't know exactly what I can tell them (mostly mean my parents here).

I'm going a bit mad and needed to vent.

As someone who suffered from severe Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Panic Anxiety Disorder to the point where I became agoraphobic and could not leave the house due to the fear of panic attacks, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) changed and saved my life. There are CBT courses that you can do in your own home that will allow you to challenge and ultimately overcome your anxiety, and these solutions are permanent and do not require the use of medications (which, in the case of anxiety, tend to be dependency forming and have serious side effects).

I would recommend you the specific course I used, which was extremely effective and was recommended to me by my psychiatrist (who wasn't trained specifically to deal with anxiety - hence the referral to the home course); however, I don't want to promote any products here since that might be considered spam. If you're interested, private message me and I'll give you more info.

In any case, the CBT made all the difference in the world. Things began to change slowly at first, and then more and more quickly, and after a few months, I was able to leave the house again and do anything I wanted with a minimum of anxiety. Now I seldom ever have anxiety issues and have more self-confidence than I ever have had in the past.
edit on 2013-11-28 by vorpal22 because: Fixed typo (fell asleep while typing post
)

Oh, I tried SSRIs and had severely negative experiences, and developed a tolerance to benzodiazepines far too quickly, so CBT was really my only option. i'm deeply in thanks for that.
edit on 2013-11-28 by vorpal22 because: Added more info

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'm just updating you guys and want to say thanks for your input, words and viewpoints.
I had a very rough few weeks after seeing my doctor. But I now understand a lot more (still haven't seen the professional people from IAPT) but have learned myself, it has helped me a lot.
I am now seeing a girl that I really like and feel happier at work and find it less stressful talking to people that I have never met before on a slightly more personal level, even more so the people I do know like friends and family.
To be honest the girl has helped me the most, she actually understands these things herself and I have been able to talk so much to her.

I am feeling better than I ever have and I know it's still a slow process that I'm working on, but I am getting there.

Thank you guys.

Oh I have quit the ways I was dealing with myself, "the Californian way" and I have not smoked cigarettes for a week now with help from my pharmacist. I have even been able to help my mum understand what she's had to put up with from me. I even had a conversation with her about my suicide attempts and self harming episodes that I could never talk about to anyone, and no one ever really knew of.
edit on 1-1-2014 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
In the last month I started getting small anxiety and panic attacks. At the same time I was dealing with muscle cramps and vertigo. Found them all to be symptoms of magnesium deficiency and have been using Mortons magnesium lotion since with great success. I also supplement with vitamin D, vitamin C, vitamin K, zinc, iron, calcium, boron and many more.

The other night I felt the anxiety coming on and put some of the magnesium lotion on, took a shot of liposomal vitamin C and it was gone within minutes.

Our bodies are from this earth and require real vitamins, minerals, nutrients, micro-nutrients etc...

When we don't get these, our body reacts to the deficiency in the best way it can. We must feed our bodies the proper fuel, just like an automobile, you can't just put whatever in the tank and expect it to go, you must use the fuel that it was designed for.

Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food. Hippocrates
edit on 1-1-2014 by toastyr because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join