It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If it is not in the Bible, what would you do?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
As I read many threads here on ATS. I being to wonder, what do you do in an instance where you can not find scripture to back up a claim made by another?

Yes, the Bible can be used to base many things of this world off of, but what do you do about some specific? For instance a name of an angel, a message from God, a description of heaven, etc?

I see many people will discount something, because it is not written. But, if Father allowed all to be written, the Bible could never be read from beginning to end.

So, do you discount, or do you try to understand?

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Don't think just accept.
(joke)

P.S. Couldn't help myself sorry.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

That's an interesting question. Fact is the bible is maybe the major influence for people behaviour now and in the past, so I too wonder how things would be if there was no bible

edit on 23-11-2013 by CosmicDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

When in doubt always rely on Love and Self lessness - compassion and altruism.

If they are trying to gain control over others through fear, or saying things for their own selfish gain, they are not to be trusted.

Love one another as yourself, see if these prophets hold's Jesus greatest commandment or if it is a scam.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
If it's knowledge from "God", and is not verifiable with God's word, then how can it be verified? Anyone can say anything if there is no source to from which to verify claims.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Should I buy a PS4 or a Xbox One? Should I apply for The Elder Scrolls Beta or wait until the release? What should I do when I'm being 6-pooled as Protoss, or have to defend against a baneling rush as Terran?

If 5 people can finish 2 paintings in 2 hours, how many paintings can 7 people finish in 3 hours?

If Sam walks 5 blocks east, and 3 blocks south, how far away is he in blocks as the crow flies from his starting position?

Is that in Genesis or Leviticus?

I guess my point is the Bible and science are both somewhat necessary, also the Bible can be outdated, even the New Testament contradicts and updated the Old Testament, that was over 2,000 years ago, btw.
edit on 23amSat, 23 Nov 2013 04:25:54 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I'd have to know what it is.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Next time you make a smart ass comment you may want to read the OP.

For instance a name of an angel, a message from God, a description of heaven, etc?

It's clearly talking religious things that someone says is true, and are not mentioned in the Bible.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
op, christian beliefs aren't necessarily rooted in the bible. Christian doctrine and the print in the bible are 2 different things. Christians usually apply unrelated verses to suit a belief system. For example, the use of the royal plural ''we'' in genesis is used to 'prove' the trinity. The truth is that there are several direct verses which contradict the very idea of the trinity. ....................................................................................... Take another example. Jesus' ''sin sacrifice''. There is nothing in the narrative from jesus' arrest to his trial to his execution to his rising, where anything is mentioned about the purpose of Jesus' execution being some sort of a sin sacrifice. Yet, christians read all sorts of meanings into the event by tying it with unrelated verses. There is a differnce between reading from a direct unambigious verse AND interpreting other verses to extract the desired meaning. -........................................................................ so ''if its not in the bible''.... No problem, they will find ways to put it in the bible.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I would love to hear all these verses that prove the Trinity false.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

For starters, look up the verse where Jesus referred to God as being One... and that verse where Jesus referred to God as his God and the God of the people.

These are direct verses where the nature of God as being One is made absolutely clear without any room for doubt or confusion. Also, I'd love to hear all those verses where Jesus said he was part of a triune God.
edit on 23-11-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n

For starters, look up the verse where Jesus referred to God as being One... and that verse where Jesus referred to God as his God and the God of the people.

These are direct verses where the nature of God as being One is made absolutely clear without any room for doubt or confusion. Also, I'd love to hear all those verses where Jesus said he was part of a triune God.
edit on 23-11-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

You made the claim, yet ask me to research for you? Pretty weak. I already know one verse ...

Mar 12:32
“Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him.

This has nothing to do with the Trinity. The Trinity states there is one God. It is not multiple Gods.

As to what you asked for ...

Mat 1:23
“The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”fn (which means “God with us”).

Jhn 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Jhn 5:17
In his defense Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.”

Jhn 8:23
But he continued, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.
Jhn 8:24
I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins.”

There is plenty more which states Jesus is God.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

That's kind of a fallacy. In regards to an angel, a message from God, a description of heaven etc.. you have to see if what it is stacks up against scripture. As God or an angel of God will never contradict the Bible. If it does then you can know it is demonic.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Mar 12:32
“Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him.

This has nothing to do with the Trinity. The Trinity states there is one God. It is not multiple Gods.

As to what you asked for ...

Mat 1:23
“The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”fn (which means “God with us”).

Jhn 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Jhn 5:17
In his defense Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.”

Jhn 8:23
But he continued, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.
Jhn 8:24
I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins.”

There is plenty more which states Jesus is God.

THIS..... is EXACTY what I meant when I said There is a differnce between reading from a direct unambigious verse AND interpreting other verses to extract the desired meaning.

Why isn't there a SINGLE verse in the Bible where Jesus says those three words "I AM GOD"????

Jesus said a lot of things in the Bble, but the statement / declaration "I am God" wasn't one of them.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I have a Strong's Concordance, and I have found it to be of great value in finding bits of Scripture, and all you have to do is remember a few key words. I also have an electronic Bible into which you can enter a key word or phrase, and the relevant verses get listed for you very quickly. However, we all need to get beyond the book/chapter/verse level, and absorb CONCEPTS from the Bible as well as being able to parrot the words. Mind you, I say that knowing that the concepts in the heads of many Christians are not supported by Scripture - I just don't care to start an argument this morning by saying what...

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

jhill76
As I read many threads here on ATS. I being to wonder, what do you do in an instance where you can not find scripture to back up a claim made by another?

Yes, the Bible can be used to base many things of this world off of, but what do you do about some specific? For instance a name of an angel, a message from God, a description of heaven, etc?

I see many people will discount something, because it is not written. But, if Father allowed all to be written, the Bible could never be read from beginning to end.

So, do you discount, or do you try to understand?

The Bible is not a complete book of all things God. What is recorded from Genesis to Revelation is for man and concerning man.

while heaven is mentioned it is not described in the Bible. While Some angles names are mentioned not all are. the creation of angles is not mentioned but the Bible speaks of them so they must have been created at some time it is just the Bible doe snot have that info.

God gave what we need for life and godliness. And all that is given is our forever. the rest we will learn of later.

It is up to the amount of faith whether to just accept the things not mentioned or not. Faith is the key.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n
op, christian beliefs aren't necessarily rooted in the bible. Christian doctrine and the print in the bible are 2 different things. Christians usually apply unrelated verses to suit a belief system. For example, the use of the royal plural ''we'' in genesis is used to 'prove' the trinity. The truth is that there are several direct verses which contradict the very idea of the trinity. ....................................................................................... Take another example. Jesus' ''sin sacrifice''. There is nothing in the narrative from jesus' arrest to his trial to his execution to his rising, where anything is mentioned about the purpose of Jesus' execution being some sort of a sin sacrifice. Yet, christians read all sorts of meanings into the event by tying it with unrelated verses. There is a differnce between reading from a direct unambigious verse AND interpreting other verses to extract the desired meaning. -........................................................................ so ''if its not in the bible''.... No problem, they will find ways to put it in the bible.

Have you not read that these three are one

John 1:1 ¶ In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

1Jonn 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Have you not read that he put away sin by the sacrifice of himself

Heb 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. Heb 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

you can limit your view on the bible to narrative of the first four book of the New Testament or you could read more and see what you stated is not true.

edit on 23-11-2013 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

The Bible is not a complete book of all things God. What is recorded from Genesis to Revelation is for man and concerning man.

Interesting. I agree with this statement as well. The inner workings of above, etc. are for above, and the Bible is for man to live life down here.

But, what do you do when information is presented that can not be easily found in the bible, but not a contradiction, just extra info?

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

The Bible is not about us (www.youtube.com...). This is why you find this in John 20:31, "But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name." And in John 17:3, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."

Eternal life is to know both the Father and the Son whom he sent. The Bible is sufficient to bring you to that knowledge, understanding and relationship. Everything else is to be avoided as stated here by Paul:

"BUT SHUN profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some." (2 Tim 2:16-18)

"The secret things belong unto the Lord our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law." (Deu 29:29)

Food for thought:

Our human nature is so blind that we have deformed thoughts of God until with the eye of faith we see His face in the mirror of the Word. With the exception of Jesus, all men are atheist by nature because at the same time as they acknowledge a God they deny His power, presence, and justice. They allow Him to be only what pleases them: “Thou thoughtest that I was altogether such an one as thyself” (Psa 50:21).

Even if reason could demonstrate all that God is, it would be dangerous to dispute it with Satan. He has sharper reasoning than you. There is more difference between you and Satan than between the weakest idiot and the greatest theologian in the world. But in the Word there is a strong divine authority that builds a throne even in the conscience of the devil himself.

Although Christ was able to baffle the devil by reason, He chose to overthrow him in the way that we ourselves must use in skirmishes with Satan. He repelled him simply by lifting up the shield of the Word: “It is written,” said Christ (Matt 4:4,7,10). It is undeniable that Christ's quoted word had power to stun Satan; the shrewd enemy had no reply to Scripture but was stilled at the very mention of the Word.

If only Eve had stood by her first answer–“God hath said” (Gen 3:3)–she too could have silenced Satan. Thus the Christian must stand in the heat of temptation and place God's own Word between himself and Satan's blows: “I believe that God is, though I cannot understand His nature; I believe the Word.” When this happens, Satan may trouble him but he cannot hurt him–and he probably cannot even bother him for very long. The devil hates the Word so much that he does not want to hear it. But if you throw down the shield of the Word and try to cut through the temptation by the force of reason, you may soon be surrounded by your subtle enemy. -- William Gurnall

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

OccamsRazor04
If it's knowledge from "God", and is not verifiable with God's word, then how can it be verified? Anyone can say anything if there is no source to from which to verify claims.

Understood, hence the OP, asking how do people from their own experience verify?

For example, does one take the Bible as pure truth for every word? Like are the dates/names/places accurate without a doubt? Or, do we just take the overall message in?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join