It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama signs National Space Transportation Policy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I am just reading this article and policy, and when I see statements like this...

The United States has long been a leader in space, and President Obama remains committed to maintaining America’s competitiveness in the aerospace sector. The National Space Transportation Policy the President signed today will ensure that the United States stays on the cutting edge by maintaining space transportation capabilities that are innovative, reliable, efficient, competitive, and affordable, and that support U.S. interests.

it makes me feel kind of sad in a way. When I see the word 'competitiveness', it sounds as if it's all a game. Anyway, haven't finished reading the policy yet, but thought I'd post it, in case it's of interest to anyone else.

blogs.nasa.gov...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MissBeck

Interesting article.
S&F.

But: NASA Astronauts to go in space, take a ride from Russia from years....

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
This is a step in the right direction. For me, it shows that the move towards expanding the human presence into space is gaining momentum. Next, there should be a policy set for conducting business in Space. I suspect that the Bitcoin will be currency choice for Space commerce.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

You must understand that this commitment is all window dressing, a natural, expect procedure, PR stuff to keep the economy afloat. It is a encouragement for the space industry when that industry is biting the dust as we speak, appearing to lose ground by the day if I can use another metaphor. What we can see is that we are in retrograde motion, not forging ahead. The President's words about that treaty is very much like the huff and puff meaningless chatter of the little North Korean dictator. Void of meaning.

The first priority in these times is the ability to do war, and space is the next great battlefield. You don't know that because they tend not to tell you about the Space Force how it is structured, manned using what variety of ships. We are use to hearing that they are building this or that new aircraft carrier, a new sub, or throwing money at dumb things like the F-117A stealth fighter and the B-2 bomber. But we aren't told about the triangles which seem to be the backbone of a space-capable fleet is the real work going on. As far as we lowly citizens know, the ISS is our great achievement and it is wearing out fast.

So since we don't have a shuttle or a replacement in the works we look a bit foolish to the average person. But we can't be allowed the truth that we have far superior craft in common operations going back and forth with ease without the aid of rockets and with a fraction of the inconvenience. You can see from posts here in this thread the disconnect that some see between what Obama said and the apparent reality we are given. He knows something that we can only guess at. True to fact, we seem to be allowing the Chinese, Japanese, India, etc. to seemingly rise to our level of efforts in space. The simple truth is that is not the real case, only what you have been lead to think. So there is that growing disconnect caused by the once highly visible, heart-lifting, public launching of an Apollo rocket or the shuttle as compared to the secret lifting off of quiet fleets of triangles supplying the also secret space platforms. Obama tried to fill that gap with up-lifting words which didn't quite do the job but only left some of you scratching your heads.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
There has always been a "competition" in the race for space exploration and hopefully there always will be as that is what pushes us further in our ability too create new technology's and the ability for man to break free once and for all of his earthly bonds.

But this competition has always been a friendly one with everyone being the winner as no matter which country comes up with new and exciting technologies to see mans dream of truly living among the stars all countries and peoples always wind up benefiting from these marvels of science.

So if we did not have these "competitions" I fear the world and mans path to the stars would stagnate.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

MissBeck
I

it makes me feel kind of sad in a way. When I see the word 'competitiveness', it sounds as if it's all a game. Anyway, haven't finished reading the policy yet, but thought I'd post it, in case it's of interest to anyone else.
/[/url]

Competitiveness' is the onlyway you will see costs cut into something managble.

Since the 60's Boeing, Lockheed and all the other big gov defence contractors have had a monopoly on space. And you have been stuck with insane eart to orbit costs like $20000+ per Kg to LEO for the shuttle. Space X has already slashed that to $8000!
Goverment monoploy in space needs to end the private sector needs to rise.
edit on 25-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I know. Competitiveness is what drives us forward. Think I must have been having an 'emotional moment' when I posted that.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
That's OK we all get those from time to time. part of being human

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
What he is saying is that they want commercial companies to run space exploration, so that more funding could be cut from NASA and go to DoD.

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

lostbook
This is a step in the right direction. For me, it shows that the move towards expanding the human presence into space is gaining momentum. Next, there should be a policy set for conducting business in Space. I suspect that the Bitcoin will be currency choice for Space commerce.

Pure genius man. Of course it is. You heard it here folks. Lets spread the idea and see if the bitcoin value spikes. What a fascinating experiment. It really is a logical progression when you pause and really think about it innit.
Talk about long term investment gamble. he he.

Back on topic. Time to cash in the years of military black budget investement I guess.

edit on 25-1-2014 by pot8er because: content

posted on Jan, 25 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by pot8er

Space is way to expansive to deal with central banks or depositories. Digital currency is the way to go; either Bitcion or one of its many variations.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

wildespace
What he is saying is that they want commercial companies to run space exploration, so that more funding could be cut from NASA and go to DoD.

Actually what he is saying is they want commercial companies to run shuttles to the international space station and low earth orbit so that more funding can be spent on what NASA was meant to do and what most of the public think it should do: Explore the universe.

Not act as an orbital taxi company.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Aliensun

You must understand that this commitment is all window dressing, a natural, expect procedure, PR stuff to keep the economy afloat. It is a encouragement for the space industry when that industry is biting the dust as we speak, appearing to lose ground by the day if I can use another metaphor. What we can see is that we are in retrograde motion, not forging ahead. The President's words about that treaty is very much like the huff and puff meaningless chatter of the little North Korean dictator. Void of meaning.

The first priority in these times is the ability to do war, and space is the next great battlefield. You don't know that because they tend not to tell you about the Space Force how it is structured, manned using what variety of ships. We are use to hearing that they are building this or that new aircraft carrier, a new sub, or throwing money at dumb things like the F-117A stealth fighter and the B-2 bomber. But we aren't told about the triangles which seem to be the backbone of a space-capable fleet is the real work going on. As far as we lowly citizens know, the ISS is our great achievement and it is wearing out fast.

So since we don't have a shuttle or a replacement in the works we look a bit foolish to the average person. But we can't be allowed the truth that we have far superior craft in common operations going back and forth with ease without the aid of rockets and with a fraction of the inconvenience. You can see from posts here in this thread the disconnect that some see between what Obama said and the apparent reality we are given. He knows something that we can only guess at. True to fact, we seem to be allowing the Chinese, Japanese, India, etc. to seemingly rise to our level of efforts in space. The simple truth is that is not the real case, only what you have been lead to think. So there is that growing disconnect caused by the once highly visible, heart-lifting, public launching of an Apollo rocket or the shuttle as compared to the secret lifting off of quiet fleets of triangles supplying the also secret space platforms. Obama tried to fill that gap with up-lifting words which didn't quite do the job but only left some of you scratching your heads.

I have also heard of the Space command.

top topics

join