It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's Advice To Underpaid Employees: Break Food Into Pieces To Keep You Full

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

luciddream
reply to post by Daedal

Now, i don't defend these fat and money makers but.... the science behind that concept is however, true.

Breaking a large meal into small pieces does make you feel full and prevent over eating.

Isn't a bite a small piece of meal? Do they mean take half bites, quarter bites? If this theory holds true, the starving people throughout the world would be stuffed after 12 grains of rice.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

rickymouse
I wonder if McDonalds has a meal allowance. I used to work at Big Boy as a dishwasher back in the seventies and they did.

I worked at a supper club during fish fries washing dishes and ate like a king. The owner probably had to charge a quarter extra on every fish fry to pay for the fish I ate.

Young people, between 17 and 30 who are active can metabolize this fast food better than the older people can. An occasional meal there is not bad for older people unless their metabolism doesn't allow it.

I don't know about McDonald's (I'm going to assume the answer is no), but KFC only gave a 10% discount when I worked for them on food, and you could only use it once a day. Also at the end of the shift, when you are throwing away the unsold chicken, they don't let you take any of it home without paying for it even though you were going to throw it away anyways. When I found that out, I just started straight up stealing the food when the managers weren't looking. When they moved me to cook, I'd just cook a little extra chicken then was called for then hide it away until later when I could get away and eat it. Working for fast food doesn't breed honesty among the employees.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Boy, things have changed a lot in the last forty years. Free food, within reason, was a big part of working in the restaurants.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Mamatus

Although I am the first to say that McDonalds is for high school kids NOT for making a living wage when you are to stupid (sociologically disadvantaged) to earn more money.

I think I have more respect for a crack dealer than an adult trying to make a full time living at McDonalds. Although I know many people will complain there are no other options, there are.....

Some people don't have a choice and have to take whatever pays. Far better to at least try to work than claiming they're unable to find work, signing up for welfare and relying on the government/tax payers to pay their way...yes?

I put myself through community college working crap minimum wage jobs, at least until I could transfer to a state school two years later. Hands down, McD's was the worst.
edit on 20-11-2013 by zillah because: comma

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Yea I know, my dad told me the same thing when I told him that I didn't get free food there. Keep in mind this was back in 2002 and 2003, so for all I know even the 10% discount is gone now, too.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

Yea I know, my dad told me the same thing when I told him that I didn't get free food there. Keep in mind this was back in 2002 and 2003, so for all I know even the 10% discount is gone now, too.

I work in Customer Care in a company run Macdonalds, not my dream job, but it just about pays the bills. Its about 40% discount, I pay £2.29 for a medium EV meal, you get a free meal on shift of burger, chicken, wrap whatever, with salad or fries, desert, and as much fountain drink as you want on shift. I usually take in my own food, cos im not a fast food fan, il give it to my kids, but when i do fancy a burger, i usually make up my own combos, quarterpounder with salad, pickles and mayo, my current choice.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I don't have an opinion, for the purposes of this thread, about McDonald's one way or the other.

I have no problem with their advice. In fact, I would suggest that Obama put it in one of his speeches. In 2009, half of the households were taking in less than $55,400, now half of the families have income of less than $51,400.

I understand that about 1/6 of America is living in poverty, and a smaller percent of working age Americans have jobs than has been the case for a long time.

It's time the president gave us advice on how to live in poverty. I suspect part of it will be to plant our own arugula gardens.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Biigs
reply to post by Daedal

Share holders dont care at all about anything but the return on their investment. Workers still work. The world keeps turning.

this is why the RICH need destroyed. They own the lion's share of stocks and are the BENEFACTORS of the agony of the poor.

Everything we buy, say a:
$8 t-shirt
$2 coffee
$200 leather jacket
$50,000 car

The RICH re in our pockets ALL DAY... EVERY DAY>!

commodities investing? YEP!
interest on any loan? YEP!

the ELITES have been robbing the poor, and educating them it is fair!

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

charles1952
It's time the president gave us advice on how to live in poverty. I suspect part of it will be to plant our own arugula gardens.

I don't know how to respond to this reply except for... REALLY?
edit on 20/11/2013 by Sovaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

Dear Sovaka,

I certainly didn't mean to cause confusion or bafflement. It seems like I should explain. Large numbers of Americans are descending into poverty. The future will require a lot of work and will to be straightened out. We are facing an unanticipated period of declining individual financial health.

Michelle Obama is perhaps most famous for her White House garden and her desire for Americans to eat more fruits and vegetables. Early in his administration "Arugula," considered a high class, gourmet lettuce, was on the White House menu and was mocked by some comedians for showing Obama's upper class, snooty, inclinations.

It seemed a reasonable comment to make at the time.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Wasn't that way when I ran the wendy's drive through in HS(around 11-13 years ago). We got a 25% discount only on lunch or dinner break, and free beverages the whole shift. Of course people would be snagging fries and nuggets when the manager turned around anyways, but if you got caught, and the manager was a jerk, it was grounds to be fired. It was only midnight closers that got any free food at all, since there was always stuff leftover when we were done serving and had to clean and sanitize. It would get thrown away anyways, so we took a lot of food home. Was different when I worked the day shift, and there was 2 managers always standing around lol.

As for cutting your food smaller, it really does work. People generally eat too much, and eat way too fast. When you take your time, and cut your meat into tiny bites for example, you end up eating a lot less. Your body gets a more accurate reading, and tells you when it's full. When you are just wolfing down huge bites of food quick, your body doesn't get a good chance to see how much you ate until it's way too late.
edit on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:55:53 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

The fast-food corporation instructs workers that breaking food into pieces” will keep you full.

Isn't that what chewing accomplishes?

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Rofl, imagine if McDonalds put the money they spend on this PR opportunity towards their employees' paycheck.

I haven't eaten there in almost a decade, and I don't play to at any point in the future.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

There is a reason actually behind it.

The feeling of full stomach does not hit the brain immediately but with a certain lag. Which means, if one does eat his/her food very fast, they do not feel immeditately that they are full, so they continue eating. At the end they eat more than they should have. In long term the liver stretches and becomes larger than it should and it requires one to eat more to get the feeling of being full, despite the body actually not needing more calories.

For example, on personal experience : Usually one plate of food is enough for myself to get the energy I need. Although if I eat very fast the first plate, I still feel very hungry, so I can easily eat even 3 or 4 plates before I feel not hungry. On the other hand, if I take my time and enjoy the food, often at the end even one plate becomes too much.

Taking time when eating, chewing well and enjoying the food results in a person taking lower calory intake and still feel well. Simply the extra calories due to lag in brain signals are not taken in.

Just something I found on quick search on it:

Most Americans eat too fast, and, as a result, they take in too many calories before they realize they've eaten enough. It takes approximately 20 minutes from the time you start eating for your brain to send out signals of fullness. Leisurely eating allows ample time to trigger the signal from your brain that you are full. And feeling full translates into eating less.

Recent research presented at a meeting of the North American Association for the Study of Obesity showed that overweight men and women took in fewer calories when they slowed their normal eating pace. And a recent Japanese study involving 1,700 young women concluded that eating more slowly resulted in feeling full sooner, and thus eating fewer calories at mealtime.

www.webmd.com...

To be honest, I am yet to meet an overweight person, who eats slowly. By the time I have finished my plate, most of them (at least in my workplace) are already on their 3rd or 4rd.

The advice was not bad, although this does not mean I agree with McDonalds on it, as they are underpaying their employees severly. I would rather pay 20 dollars for a Big Mac, than buy one for 5 on the expense of underpaid employees. I haven´t eaten fast-food for years though - 1) unhealthy - certain elements might be positive, although there are way more healthier alternatives 2) I do not agree with their business tactics
edit on 20-11-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I have heard of this method for eating less and know people who do it and it works well from what I can see, the problem is that a dude working at McCraps doesn't have time to enjoy the meal. Wolf that burger down, call the kids and check up on the house hold, run outside smoke a cigarette then back to work for hours on end.

I pictured a person pulling out a cloth napkin and his own cutlery casually eating there Big Mac tweeting about how the flavor combination works well with the over salted fries. Oh and replacing the paper cup with a nice glass for the soft drink. Then a person could enjoy a McMeal......

Edit/ Now I'm going to McDs because this post made me hungry.... Thanks a lot

edit on 11/21/2013 by Agent008 because: Hungry. At. 3am...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
This isn't McDonalds fault......their policy is a result of idiot politicians and money printing. Is McDonalds printing money like Obama and Bernacke?? Basic Econ 101 tells us what happens to the lower class when the money supply is increased. The Poor suffer the most ( this is why the food stamps are increasing as well), but everyone, including the Politicians, like to blame the corporations. And concerning McDonalds profits......nobody can afford to eat anywhere else, since our money is worth less and less each day.

What are they doing now with O-care.....blaming the insurance companies for their bad policies. It's a repeated pattern and the sooner ALL of America stands up and says Screw You, the sooner we can begin to clean up this mess.

Oh yeah.....you know who the money printing really helps? The gap between the 1% group and the rest of us is getting bigger. Overall, Great way to make sure they can donate to future elections, isn't it??

Thanks Barack!!!!!

(post by LiberLegit removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Makes one wander about the quality of their food and services if all their employees are broke, miserable and starving.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I take issue with the title's claim that these people are underpaid. Retarded people can do this work. The Burger King and the McDonald's where I grew up both employed retarded people on a consistent basis. I know one kid personally that had an assistant manager's position at Burger King for a number of years. If just about anyone can do the work, than the worker can not demand much money. If very few can do the work than the worker can can demand much more.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The website that you pull your source from is slanted rather left don't you think. They advocate social justice and many far left ideals. So I'm not going to put much stock in what they say.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join