It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Democrats Using Racist Stereotypes Against Condoleezza Rice?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
At least tell the people where you got your ideas from. Its ATS etiquette.

As I said I used my ideas not Rush's ideas. If I had simply transcripted what Rush had to say about this issue I would have given Limbaugh the credit.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by theshadowknows
It has nothing to do with race and I wish people would stop pulling the race card out every time we (liberals) disagree with someone that happens to be a different ethnicity!

Why? You (liberals) are sure to take every oppurtunity to color conservatives in that light.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
First picture. If you take a good look at Rice, then you will see where the protruding lips and buck teeth come from. It's a characiture. The parrot is symbolic of her repeating whatever her "master" Bush says.

The second picture is symbolic of the author's supposition that Rice is in Bush's cabinet because she is a minority. Do we call people against affirmative action racist? Well, maybe some do.
By the way, you can call a black woman "Brown Sugar" without being suited, it all depends on the way it is said, body language, intimacy, etc.

The last one is the only one I could see using racial stereotypes. The first two, man, I think you are just being too sensitive. Kind of disappointing really.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Bush has appointed a number of blacks to positions in his administration who have succeeded the old-fashioned way, by earning it. And what's more they have nothing in common with the thugs and shakedown artists of the "civil rights" movement, such as Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton.

Naturally, the left who believes that all men are created equal are upset when blacks achieve on their own merits without affirmative action and quotas and then they use the very tactics they ascribe to others to denigrate them.

And Nerdling, O Smiter of the Stupid, Abraham Lincoln was a Republican and it was the Southern Democrats who were fought against desegregation in the South.

[edit on 04/11/17 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
And so...we're put in our place once again

A caricature is a caricature. It is an exageration of ones features.

Make a federal case out of it like everything else.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
And Nerdling, O Smiter of the Stupid, Abraham Lincoln was a Republican and it was the Southern Democrats who were fought against desegregation in the South.

oh, grady, smiter of peace and love, that was a long, long time ago, and today's republicans have very little in common with those of the distant past.
change is the only constant.

the end to segregation and slavery was brought about by the same PRINCIPLES of equality and fairness, that are the earmark of the 'treehugging, lefty peacenik liberals.' it's amazes me how easily people are led to the slaughter of common sense by newspeak.

this whole race issue is just an afterimage, anyway. the new war for justice is between those sitting on easy street with money and no conscience, and those who are living paycheck to paycheck and trying to figure out why life has to be so hard.
the new slavery is corporate, mental and legislative, and knows not color.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Naturally, the left who believes that all men are created equal are upset when blacks achieve on their own merits without affirmative action and quotas and then they use the very tactics they ascribe to others to denigrate them.

The reason why I think Condi was not a good choice has NOTHING to do with the fact she is a successful black woman who achieved on her own merits. In fact, I admire her a great deal because of that same reason.

Please stop claiming the stances of liberals when in fact you know NOTHING about what you are talking about. Your quote above shows how out of touch you are on this topic. Its very obvious you are blinded by your own hatred of liberals that you would be so quick to believe such a sad sad lie.

I have yet to hear a conservative in this thread defend the other accusations made toward Condi...you know the "important" ones? The one's having to do with her words/actions, the ones that really matter? No�you all blindly start calling democrats racists.

And you know what? I'm sure there are racist democrats as there are racist republicans but to categorize the whole party by some stupid friggin cartoons is beyond ridiculous!

[edit on 11/17/2004 by Lecky]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
but I could not help but notice why some people think some political comics are okay and some are not. Either you're for all of them or none of them. They all hold to the same principles - degrading real people by making them look and act screwed up (including stereotypes, extremes, prejudice, racism, sexism, etc.).

My side - I think all non-fictional cartoons are abhorent. It violates free-speech by letting other people's words come out of your mouth that you do not approve of as well as making you look in a way that is not you. It's a disgraceful, vile disrespect for human life.

Republicans - What are you trying to point out here? That democratic cartoonists are looney and are lobbying for support? No kidding...

Democrats - Why do you have to knee-jerk react with name calling and supporting an obiviously exaggerated FREAKING (literally speaking) cartoon?

All others parties - Where are you guys? Probably sitting silently enjoying the fight huh?

Okay, have I offened everyone yet?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Lets compare:

Originally posted by BlackJackal

news.yahoo.com.../uclickcomics/cx_po_uc/latest

The above political cartoon was drawn by Pat Oliphant a syndicated political cartoonist

Notice the big lips, buck teeth and the hair. Also notice that instead of applauding the first black women to hold the position of Secretary of State Oliphant relegates her to a parrot. Is this cartoon racist? In my opinion it is.

From Rush Limbaugh's site

"This is the cartoonist Oliphant, and to the best of my knowledge, he's in the Washington Post."
"They claim to be holy than thou. They claim to be above all of us when it comes to understanding the downtrodden and minorities. They claim to be the only ones that have the ability to have the compassion and understanding, and yet they get away with racism. They get away with bigotry. They get away with sexism, and they get away with homophobia -- and in the case of Condoleezza Rice, they get away with an attempted character destruction of a truly brilliant and accomplished woman who came from nothing to become the first black female secretary of state. You'd think they'd be applauding instead of making fun of her this way."

www.rushlimbaugh.com...

Rush even has the three pictures you talk about, on the link above, and talks about them.

*squawk* *squawk*

The above political cartoon was made by Democratic cartoonist Doonesberry.

Brown Sugar? Isn�t that a stereotypically racist comment? If you walked up to a black lady on the street and called her �Brown Sugar� you know how fast the NAACP and ACLU would be on the scene?

"The next one is not new. It is an old one from earlier this year. It is a Doonesbury cartoon."
"The assumption is that neither of them had heard of Al-Qaeda, and they want to do something to destroy Richard Clarke, and when Condoleezza Rice insults Bush for also not knowing who Al-Qaeda was -- all this, of course, is total fiction -- he calls her "Brown Sugar." This is Doonesbury. Now, this has to be around the time of the 9/11 hearings."

Now this next one, you forgot to mention that you even had to link the image to Rush Limbaugh's site, further exposing the "peat, repeat" phenomenon.

The above political cartoon was made by Democratic cartoonist Danziger.

Again a stereotypical view of African-Americans. In this cartoon she is portrayed as barefoot and pregnant with special attention paid to black speech �I knows all about aluminum tubes

"I guess this has to do with weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and centrifuges and so forth. I really have no idea, but it doesn't matter. He's got some dumb black woman sitting barefoot obviously in a rocking chair trying to feed aluminum tubes with a bottle, saying, "I knows all about aluminum tubes."

Once again: mocking black speech, making fun of it. These are the people that do not allow such things to happen. They are first. I'm sitting there looking at these cartoons and again I'm discussing myself, "Just what was it I said that caused a year-long uproar in the now-famous Donovan McNabb incident?" "

I'll admit this last one is possibily racist. At the least it's a bad/harsh exaggeration of black people. I feel it's inapproprate, but it's a free country. I feel the cartoonist/writer could have portrayed Rice as incompetent without, using the "stupid" black language style.

I find it amazing that the party which claims to champion African-American rights finds it funny to stereotype and make racist comments when a member of that race succeeds. If the democrats truly cared about African-Americans they would applaud the success of Condoleezza Rice rather than degrading her.

"You would think that these people, if they were genuine, if they were true, would be standing up and if they won't applaud Bush, at least applaud these people, applaud Condoleezza Rice, applaud Colin Powell, applaud the new secretary of education. They never applauded the (out-going) Education Secretary Rod Paige. "

"They have to try to destroy the them. They impugn them. They grotesquely distort them as human beings and as Americans, and this is being done under the eyes of everybody in this country, black Americans included. "

What both you and Rush are doing is ludicrous, to associate the actions of these people DIRECTLY with the Democratic party is laughable.

Lets say a Republican kills a blind man, does that mean all Republicans kill blind men?

Heck no, so why is it if cartoonists who are liberal, draw some racey drawings, all Democrats are bigot, racist, plantation owners?

Further more, you claim "If the democrats truly cared about African-Americans they would applaud the success of Condoleezza Rice rather than degrading her."

What if they weren't judging her on race (as you are), but rather her actions, which they may feel were poor, or inadequate. What is so bad about this?

Rush Limbaugh
Once again, mocking black speech, my good friends on the left. Do you realize how utterly pathetic and hateful you people are beginning to appear? Do you understand that everybody is seeing this? Do you understand that it doesn't take commentary from anybody to express how repugnant all of this is?

Rush Limbaugh
They claim to be the only ones that have the ability to have the compassion and understanding, and yet they get away with racism. They get away with bigotry. They get away with sexism

By the way, are you a Rush 24/7 member? The only picture I came across for above, was...
www.rushlimbaugh.com...
Not...
www.rushlimbaugh.com...
that you link to. (Just curious)

I feel that any blind repetition of a leading figure, on any side, is a terrible thing to do. Look at the situation yourself, and examine the situation personally rather than regurgitate what a prominent figure says. Otherwise, we shall have such a hatred that showed it's ugly head seen this last election.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Oh! what a tangled web we weave....Hey, maybe Rush is posting here and we dont know it

Story and its sources: debunked.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Two things wrong with that statement and what's sad, it is so short.

1: Republicans and Southern Democrats did not butt-heads over desegregation. They may have, partially, bickered over slavery, but not desegregation. Now, the amount of what slavery had to do with certain things in that time frame are completely debatable, but definitly desegregation.

2: An implication that Republicans and Democrats of that day and age are the same as today's is ever present. There is nothing even close to that today. If anything, all of those racist went to the Republicans a long time ago. Other than extremely base principals the big two are no longer representatives of their prior selves. In fact, I would go as far as to say that the Republicans of old lean toward the liberal side of things or at least more neutral. And Southern Democrats were seeming to be more conservatives of their time. (Of course, it is all relative. The spectrum of that time would be the equivalent of really conservative of that time to not as conservative.)

As far as the topic at hand...

The first two seem ok. Yes, I will use the charicature defense on the first one. That's one of the main things done in political humor. Just look at all of the other one's on different politicians. The second one, Trudeau never uses actual names in any of his cartoons. Or at least, I have never seen it. (He only runs on Sundays in my local paper.)

The third one can be argued either way. One is the true reference, The Color Purple. The other way is to say it is nothing but a "slave speak". I can toss a coin on this one...really...I can. For the sake of argument, let's say it is. I have never heard of this guy before. Is he that big of a guy? I come from a "small market town".

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Is this entire cartoon fiasco:
Another pump up for Limpbought?
A side-line to a real issue?

Give Rush some more oxycontin (under the counter) and let's have some stories to worry about.
www.MeditoxOfPalmBeach.com...

Or maybe O'Reilley? If he would quit running after his employees he could have time to pounce on these horrible cartoons that affront the modern world. www.dickmanagement.com...

Check out the book- I heard it was a good read. I'm too cheap to buy one myself.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Racism, by either party is wrong. I don't care if it's being done by democrats against Republicans or Republicans against Democrats, it wrong. The problem I have with all of these cartoons, is that it is portraying a person based upon sterotypical traits that blacks find offensive. Democrats will claim that they are harmless, but they are hurtful to minorities. Those who claim that Dr. Rice is out of touch with "normal blacks," need to re-think their thought process.

We should be comming together to fight a common opponent, terrorism, yet the Democrats want to keep us divided and want to live in a pre-9-11 world. I don't care what color your skin is, I don't care who you worship, I don't care what your heritage is, what I do care about is that we are Americans. America is the great melting pot. When it comes right down to it, we are Americans and I bet those in other countries would trade places with any one of us, warts included.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
The first two cartoons are not racist, unless interpreted by a racist mind.

The first especially takes some work on the part of the interpreter to make it racist. It never fails to amaze me how much Republicans love to assert political correctness when it suits their needs.

The second one in particular is making fun of Bush, not Condi. Doonsebury is not racist (though he clearly thinks Bush is), so I can see why a Bush-blind person would be confused.

The Danziger cartoon certainly is, however, racist. It's also long since been pulled from everywhere including Danziger's site.

Everywhere that is but Republican blogs and Limbaugh's daily diatribe. He's sooooo superior.

So who's keeping the wounds open now? All this finger pointing amounts to one thing...

Hey, you're racist too!

That's never more true than when "modern" Republicans bring up Dixiecrats.
Yes, southern rural segregationists used to be both economic populists (Democrats) and Racist. Now those same people vote Republican. Why do "modern" Republicans keep bringing up former southern racists that now vote Republican again?

Hey, Democrats used to be racist!

Brilliant.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The Color Purple!!!!
Award Winner, remember!?!
Poor, downtrodden Blacks in the Deep South?

Auuuugghhh!

Republicans looking to feign "disgust" over made up racism and quoting factoids about Blacks in Bushlandia being 'up there' for the first time; as if Blacks are the only minorities that count & that horse shyyyte were true? Hello, Latinos? Asians?

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I don't understand your point, Of course Blacks are not the only minority in the United States. That is why Bush has appointed a latino to be AG, A woman to be Sec of Ed. I suspect that Mineta, an aisan will still be in the cabinet. Bush has one of the most minority diverse cabinet in the history of the United States.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Back to the original post.

No I don't think the first cartoon is racist. She is very much like Bush's "pet" and the buckteeth and lips are part of any characature of Rice (since when were buckteeth a "black" thing anyhow?)

The second is a tad racist, but the humor is obviously directed at Bush giving nicknames to those around him.

The third is blatantly racist, and a play on the Gone with the Wind character stereotype.

While it's nice to see minorities in high government positions for a change, I think that Condi's appointment is a rather retarded move. Her credibility is pretty much shot to hell, and at a time when we are dealing more and more with Arab governments, a woman will NOT be taken seriously by Arab leaders. One might say, well that's sexist! Well, yes, it is...because THEY are sexist. One might then say, well that's THEIR problem! No, it isn't, it's OUR problem, as she's OUR representative.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Gazrok, was that your believe when Clinton was President? It is a valid thought, and one I hope that was considered. I have no problem with a woman being the Secretary of State, or even President.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrsdls
Racism, by either party is wrong. I don't care if it's being done by democrats against Republicans or Republicans against Democrats, it wrong. The problem I have with all of these cartoons, is that it is portraying a person based upon sterotypical traits that blacks find offensive. Democrats will claim that they are harmless, but they are hurtful to minorities. Those who claim that Dr. Rice is out of touch with "normal blacks," need to re-think their thought process.

I don't care what color your skin is, I don't care who you worship, I don't care what your heritage is, what I do care about is that we are Americans. America is the great melting pot. When it comes right down to it, we are Americans...

Thank you jrsdls, thank you.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
Go rent the movie for Christ's sake folks!

I thought The Passion was very good, but was kinda hoping it would continue on the surrealness of the first half of the movie. Seems like a lot of people are indeed renting it. Hopefully more to come.

The Color Purple!!!!
Award Winner, remember!?!

Also a good movie. What a lot of people forget is that all of our forefathers were slaves of another country at one time, hence why they came here. Please show me your 'royal lineage' and why your forefathers found it best to leave it to start over in this country.

Auuuugghhh!

...as if Blacks are the only minorities that count...Hello, Latinos? Asians?

*nodnod* Keep going my friend, there are many many more.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join