It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local Council warning of impending disaster!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I'm a tad worried. On Thursday I received a very odd letter from my Local Council's Emergency Planning Department (I didn't even know we had one!) warning me that my property and the shops on my street (I live above a shop on the main shopping street) had been identified as flood risks in the event of such and such reservoir failing and giving me evacuation instructions. Now I've lived here years and never ever before received such a letter. Whats really strange is that the reservoir they refer to is over 20mls away and is really quite small in comparision to others in Yorkshire and if it did break the chances of it reaching me and causing any significant damage would be damn near impossible.

This is part of the letter:
You are receiving this letter as your property has been identified as being susceptible to reservoir flooding. The Council along with other agencies have been developing plans to respond to a number of emergency situations deemed as high priority and some reservoirs have been identified as those that would have the most impact should they breach.

It should be noted that reservoirs are built and maintained to a very high standard and there has been no loss of life due to a dam failure in this country since the 1920's but even so we need to be prepared to ensure we can respond in case of such an emergency. Reservoir failure could lead to the sudden release of deep fast-moving water that differs from most other forms of flooding and there could be little warning. You will be informed of the need to evacuate the area in one of the following ways:
1. By an official knocking at your door
2. By a vehicle mounted loudspeaker
3. By local radio or television
At this time you will be informed of where to assemble in order to reach a place of safety

Whilst we have trained officials to deal with this emergency it is important that you read the enclosed leaflet to ensure you are ready and prepared for such an emergency

Ok call me an old conspiracy nut but with all the weird weather there is all over the world and Comet Ison wandering about, I find it really worrying that I have received this letter. Maybe I'm just seeing too much into it but considering that I have never received such a thing before in 20 + years of living here, this small reservoir wouldn't touch me even if it did break its banks and yet there is a far far larger reservoir only 8mls away which isn't mentioned which would probably drown most of the valley and this isn't touched on.

Friends and local shopkeepers have received the same letter but only those that live in low areas and some are of the same opinion as me that this is either a veiled warning of some impending disaster and its a cover for something else as we all agree the reservoir they refer to is too small to be a worry.

Anyone else in any part of the UK received any letter like this? Should I be stocking up and inflating the dinghy?

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
For the good of the people they may be diverting the water to your area because the people in the other area may have more influence or possibly there are more people there.

Just a guess based on info you had in the OP.

It's nice to get a heads up that you are possibly getting screwed.
edit on 18-11-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
What are you going to stock up on?

Scuba equipment?

Best thing you can do is to always have your car keys at the ready and a full tank of gas.

I have a great video of some prepper guy in Japan who was standing on a hill as the tidal wave washed his house away. A lot of good all that food and ammo did him.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by phyllida

At least we aren't alone in the United States. The UK is also looking for every possible threat they can imagine, everywhere they can find one to scare the crap out of the public in every way which may work.

Why they are so determined that everyone be fearful of something ..or several somethings, if they can..is beyond me. It's too consistent and regular now to doubt it's deliberate though. Everyone either has or will get a personal reason to fear the world around them, it seems.

Enough.... No Fear. Like the old saying went.

* Perhaps if the keep their reservoir maintained properly, they won't have to scare people with flood talk.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

So true Wrabbit!

I live in a town of 650 and you should see their emergency measures documents! I know our town does it because then the government will give money to the towns for doing so and every little bit helps.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

It means that local councils are getting into a culture of giving warnings about every possible eventuality, just in case.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I've long believed in the "create a climate of fear" scenario so the people will ask for laws/legislation thinking its in their own interests etc but this feels like there's something they just aren't telling me! And I don't like that. Tried ringing the department but its just an answerphone with a recorded message.

If a reservoir has never broken its banks and there's been no loss of life since the 1920's why on earth start the fear mongering now? We've had years of torrential rain where rivers and canals have broken their banks and there's been flooding in low areas, its a regular occurrence in some west yorkshire villages, nothing out of the ordinary, but I've looked all over the net and there is no recorded reservoir breach that I can find for this area or this country even so why go to all the trouble and expense of sending out these letters and printing up these survival leaflets if the odds of it happening are actually so unlikely?

Grrrr I hate not knowing and only being able to assume or presume!

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Spookybelle

Unfortunately I don't drive so guess I'll start inflating the dinghy!
and stock up on wellies and raincoats and a couple of swim rings for my doggies

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
You made a small error - assuming your local council knows what they are talking about.

Your post code was likely included in the mail shot by accident.

I know my local council couldnt arrange a piss up in a brewery and we are a beer town!
edit on 18-11-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Well I could go along with that if it wasn't for the fact that all the shops on the street where I live have also got this letter as well as the 2 other flats above them.

Wondering if maybe its as simple as they got some grant or other and are now having to show that they are spending it wisely in order to get the same next year

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I think it really is as simple as you say. The culture of fear.

Some honest to God warnings and threat statements in the United States and from places like the DHS read more like a Hollywood Horror film plot, borrowed from late night B grade flicks no one even watches. I'm not going to be shocked if some DID start, as an idea to warn about, exactly that way.

The mentality behind much of this is so simplistic in thinking and level, that is almost expected at this point, here.... I'm sorry but not surprised to see its a common thing in other nations now too.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I would say with all the bad weather warnings they are trying to be prepared. they probably sent out letters to a 20 mile radius.

The only thing that does seem weird is that they are trying to do something for once.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

fatpastyhead
I would say with all the bad weather warnings they are trying to be prepared. they probably sent out letters to a 20 mile radius.

The only thing that does seem weird is that they are trying to do something for once.

They may have detected some cracks/fractures in the dam/s and they are getting worse and maybe they are warning folk just in case they cant fix it quick enough and it gives way. They wouldnt tell you if there was a problem but they may try warn folk in a suttle way. So OP be prepared just in case. Which Dams are you close to?
edit on 18-11-2013 by RP2SticksOfDynamite because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-11-2013 by RP2SticksOfDynamite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by RP2SticksOfDynamite

The dam quoted in the letter is Green Withens but I'm nearer Scammonden which is far bigger and whilst probably wouldn't itself flood my area I suppose it could impact the River Calder a bit

If there were cracks or anything in the small damn I'm sure they'd just repair it and not bother sending out all this info with evacuation plans etc. Like they say in the letter no dam has burst here since the 20's anyway so I don't see any logical reason to inform people that they are repairing a dam when they do that as a matter of course

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I agree with you guys about 'the culture of fear etc', but in this particular case, i think it could be more a case of arse covering by the councils.

The news is that there is expected to be a VERY bad winter on the cards this year.

The talk is (how they know so far in advance is a ?) this Winter will be the worst one pretty much anyone has seen in this country for 70 years!

They talk of 3 months of snow, which if correct, the melt run off will cause major flooding, possibly flooding everything downstream of the res.

Take the advice offered if i were you..have a kit bag packed with at least one change of warm clothing, a couple of litres of water, some energy bars and chocolate (any excuse girls!) and foil blankets etc.

A couple of emergency whistles for attracting attention should you need to can be got at the pound shop (and the foil blankets etc)

Have it ready packed, within grab reach and try not to panic...it may all come to nothing, you know what the weather forcasts are usually like here in the UK.

ETA: Just looked at where you are on Google Earth..there's LOADS of resevoirs near you..i gave up counting at 15, all seem to be within 10 - 15 miles of your location.

This is why you've been included on the warning list i reckon..imagine if there was major flooding near you and nobody told you? It's like i said, arse covering. Better forewarned and all that though.

edit on 18-11-2013 by MysterX because: added info

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Buy an ordnance survey map of your area, that will show the most likely course of any damn break, follow the contour lines on the map.
It will show your river flood plains as well, and possible water 'choke' points, such as road and railroad bridges over the river(s).

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

Actually you have the best idea I've heard yet. I'm regularly up to my eyeballs in Gov't databases and Gov't data in general. If it is of interest to anyone, anywhere? Someone with a GS rank or a future pension has worked the problem and the results are almost certainly out there on a server somewhere.

I know this isn't the US, but that isn't important either. Some of my best and honestly, most useful natural data comes from Australian and British Government sites/sources. They seem a few years ahead of the US for what is put online in a friendly way. Topographic maps for high vs. low ground on the local level should be easy to get though.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
They get Federal monetary grants for doing # like this "being prepared"-- "keeping you safe" BS.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I thought Wing Commander Guy Gibson and the majority (if not all) the squadron had passed away. Watch out for low flying Lancaster Bombers with a rotating barrel hanging from the underbelly!!

Really? i have no idea why they would waste the money when all councils are tightening the belt

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Sounds like they have either ust updated their flood risk map and/or need to use up some money to be able to apply for another grant next year - so are sending out routine letters to all properties that the flood risk map (which is not just determined by proximity to water and by contours) has highlighted. Just in case, one day, there is major flooding and someoe sues them for not advising them that they were in a flood risk area ....

You can check your location on the EA flood risk map

(I'm high and dry
)

Edit: Sheffield, for example, has several major streets at risk from flooding from some of the many small reservoirs in the moors round about - often many, many miles away
edit on 18-11-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join