It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion a mental disorder?

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

BlueMule

Angelic Resurrection

I have transcended Faith and Belief thru His Mighty Grace.

Well, when you've transcended your local culture and your local religion (Christianity) to the point where you can express yourself through the religion of, say, Brahmanism or Shamanism or Taoism or Buddhism, let me know.

If Christianity is the only local system you can express through, then you haven't transcended the symbols and forms of your local time and place, and your spirituality is merely myopic and exoteric, not panoramic and esoteric.

edit on 25-11-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

You are talking a load of sheites.
There is no local culture or religion.The various isms you mention are a load of
sheites and deep self hypnosis and as such should be shunned with utmost haste.
When you become Born Again, your allegence is to Jesus alone and not
any country or local place or religion or any isms or myopic esoterism.
There is no Spirituality except Thru Jesus alone.
You are wallowing in deep ignorance and Jesus can Save you.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

windword
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

Who gives us a soul and why? Because of "Original Sin", is the soul always, from birth, heavy laden with and condemned by sin? Do we need Jesus to give us a soulectomy?

What happens to the soul after we die? If we are NOT our souls, what goes to Hell? If we are NOT our souls, why should we care if our soul goes to Heaven or Hell?

Yes, you certainly need Jesus to Save you..
Human soul cannot go to Heaven, but it can go to Hell,
is the reason you need to be Born Again to go to Heaven

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Angelic Resurrection

You are talking a load of sheites.
There is no local culture or religion.The various isms you mention are a load of
sheites and deep self hypnosis and as such should be shunned with utmost haste.
When you become Born Again, your allegence is to Jesus alone and not
any country or local place or religion or any isms or myopic esoterism.
There is no Spirituality except Thru Jesus alone.
You are wallowing in deep ignorance and Jesus can Save you.

I think the Sheites would probably be offended by your post. The Sunnites would probably laugh. The Sufi would probably agree with me and probably regard your exegesis as extremely limited, childish, localized.

Moses Heard A Shepherd On The Road Praying.

edit on 25-11-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

I'm sorry, but i still don't understand.

Yes, you certainly need Jesus to Save you..

To save me from my soul?

Human soul cannot go to Heaven, but it can go to Hell,

If I'm NOT my soul, why should I care where "my" soul goes? Who gave me a soul, and why? What is a soul, if not me?

is the reason you need to be Born Again to go to Heaven

Where else would I go?

edit on 25-11-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

I have to say, I'm compelled to say, that I am sorely disappointed at the approach you're taking to wildtimes. It has gone past ignorance, past disrespect, to insult and calumny.

You don't have to agree with her, I don't always, but have some respect for her as a person. She's not just a person, she's a trained and certified health care professional.

What explanation could you possibly have for your treatment of her? Instead of discussing her ideas, you've begun talking about, well, "I don't know what the hell you're talking about." (Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock)

If you're angry, take a little break. This thread will still be here. I'd like to see it advance. There are ideas to explore. Wildtimes has a lot to offer on the subject, I think we should welcome her in and listen to her without causing hostility.

Dear wildtimes, I don't know if it's possible, but I'm especially curious about "line drawing." The definition of "child abuse" seems awfully vague. It doesn't seem quite right to define it as having an adverse effect on a child; grabbing a kid about to run into a busy street will create and adverse effect, but we applaud it.

Does the definition have something to do with the abuse creating a long lasting or even permanent negative effect on the child? And how big does that negative effect have to be? Or is this one of those things that has to be most often decided on a case by case basis?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Are you trying to influences people to become atheist?

LOL!!!!
Erm....

no. If anything, as FlyersFan said, I'm a Unitarian Universalist. But actually I guess I could also fit in with "New Agers".

I'm trying to "influence" people to think about their worldview, to deconstruct it, to examine their upbringing and their responses to the world. That's all. MANY people have "coping mechanisms" that are counterproductive. That worked - to some extent - for them, until their lives become unmanageable, and those 'skills' rather than helping, CAUSE problems. It's not until someone finally realizes HOW they developed those skills and applied them, that they can revisit the construction of those skills and make obsolete the ones that clearly are "backfiring" and creating problems FOR THEM - then they can learn new 'mechanisms'.

edit on 11/25/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

Thank you, I was just getting mixed signals I guess, and I have been the New Age route and have done all the soul searching, and searching, and searching, and self examination,

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

A preacher once taught me this, to some God is a loving father, to others terrifying judge, one reason people latch onto the fear is if they had a parent they were afraid of instead of a loving one, my mother was terrifying at times, and I had a hard time dealing with god, the authority figure, because mother was subconsciously symbolic of god.
I loved her very deary.
but I feared her, my poor mom.

Although I was never taught this fear in the church.

edit on 043030p://bMonday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

ATTENTION~~~~

You are responsible for your own posts.
Go After the Ball, Not the Player!

Members are reminded to respectfully discuss the topic and not each other.
Personal attacks, and attacks on the beliefs of members, STOP NOW....

edit on Mon Nov 25 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

temporarily closed to allow members to read this and take heed

Reopened....those who cannot debate civilly may find themselves Post Banned.
edit on Mon Nov 25 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Seems to me that you and some others on here,
have crossed the point of no return
and unfortunately, I'll have to adopt the policy of:
Resist the devil and he will flee from you

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

Nope, its a way to consolidate support, Power in groups, end result: To make money.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Dear Stormdancer777,

For some reason your post was especially touching.

Loving Father? Terrifying Judge? We miss so much if we don't see Him as both. He's just and merciful. Christianity seems to be full of these apparent contradictions.

You could define the Church as mystic and other worldly, based on the lives of some of the great saints, mystics with their visions, devotions and miracles. You could also define it as worldly and life affirming based on it's work with the poor and the sick, lepers, and factory workers.

Christians somehow mourn death, and celebrate that person's entrance into eternal life.

These apparent contradictions help persuade me that Christianity is true and normal. I have trouble with those who take one side or the other in any of those contradictions and say "That is what religion is." They've lost their sense of proportion, they become obsessed with only one side of a two-sided coin. they have a tiny, little world instead of a large, expansive one.

The effect that parents have on their children is huge. If it's a bad one, there is hope of healing. Be kind to yourself.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
While DRM-5 was a nice angle, it does not refute the facts established by the OP.
It is simply an alternate view that does nothing to verify or disprove the evidence that ideology alters human conciousness. That is as close as anyone here has gotten but unfortunately close doesn't count. You'll need to try harder.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
WILDTIMES .. what do you think of this that I posted earlier ...

as you know, depression is a disorder and this information says that religion/spirituality can help people OVERCOME THAT DISORDER.

US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health - The Relationship of Religion and Mental Disorders

The results of this study suggest that depressive episodes often lead to a search for spirituality and that religion may be helpful in overcoming depression or becoming less vulnerable to relapsing. The associations between religion, spiritual values, and mental health have not been fully elucidated and warrant further exploration.

our study did not confirm any associations between spirituality/religion and past mental disorders or indicate any significant relationship between anxiety disorder and spiritual values.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

it is with honor I accept the rebuke... I wasn't sure it was a girl, and for that I feel bad.

if it is one thing I have learned of the rules so far is better language control, and my threshold for insult.

Wildtimes... I tap my heart two times with my right fist and proclaim respect to you. My apologies...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

charles1952

These apparent contradictions help persuade me that Christianity is true and normal.

Me too.

"The words of truth are always paradoxical." - Lao Tzu

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Angelic Resurrection
reply to post by windword

Seems to me that you and some others on here,
have crossed the point of no return
and unfortunately, I'll have to adopt the policy of:
Resist the devil and he will flee from you

Don't worry, the good news is that in the end no one is going to lose their soul.

The bad news is, that means your entire understanding of religion is flawed. Someday, you will have to eat many of your words and a big slice of humble pie.

But that's ok! You don't have to believe it.

edit on 26-11-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34 >>

join