It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion a mental disorder?

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34 >>

join
share:
(post by Eryiedes removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Angelic Resurrection
reply to post by windword

Seems to me that you and some others on here,
have crossed the point of no return
and unfortunately, I'll have to adopt the policy of:
Resist the devil and he will flee from you

The point of no return? Resist the Devil? Moi?

You said:

Stripping of soul from your body is a very profound and intensely physical experience,
and only the Blood of Jesus and His Mighty Grace can do that and thereafter
You are free of your sin laden soul.

Please forgive my devilishness,
but, I have never heard this before.

Jesus strips us of our souls? I'll ask again, although you're probably going to ignore me, "Who gives us a soul?"

Is the soul that we are given created for us, and already laden with sin, due to "original sin"?

When Jesus strips our sin laden souls away from us, where do they go? You said souls can't go to heaven. If we're not supposed to have souls, and we are NOT our souls, and they can't go to heaven, where I want to go, then why should I care what happens to them?

edit on 26-11-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

You forgot one ... does the person refuse to acknowledge when his/her position has been proven wrong and continues to cling to that which has been shown wrong?

BlueMule ... this thread has been a trolling mess for at least the last 15 pages. I've notified the moderators and asked them to close the thread. I don't know if they will or not but the fact is that people with psychology degrees have come on and proven that having religion/spirituality beliefs is not a 'disorder' ... so the thread is dead anyways. Too bad. Wildtimes and I could have had a great discussion on 'disorders' and JUNG and Freud, etc etc .... but that could be used for another thread ...

edit on 11/26/2013 by FlyersFan because: spelling

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

FlyersFan
Wildtimes and I could have had a great discussion on 'disorders' and JUNG and Freud, etc etc .... but that could be used for another thread ...

And me too! Not only do I have my fair share of 'disorders' but I have read more than my fair share of Jung. And I frequently have psychic dreams that come true.

Isn't it true that the belief in psychic ability was recently removed from the DSM as a symptom of mental illness? Or maybe its just a rumor.

Have you heard of this book? Published by the American Psychological Association.

Varieties of Anomalous Experience: Examining the Scientific Evidence

I couldn't put it down.

edit on 26-11-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I would like to read that topic.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

BlueMule

Don't worry, the good news is that in the end no one is going to lose their soul.

The bad news is, that means your entire understanding of religion is flawed.

I'm glad that my soul is no longer with me. Praise Jesus
Personal relationship with Jesus has nothing to
do with religion. Pl look up my posts b4 posting.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Dear BlueMule,

I'd like to thank you for understanding what I meant about the apparent contradictions in Christianity. Real life is strange, unexpected.

If an alien came to earth and studied us physically, they would see two ears, eyes, arms, legs, and would know we have bilateral symmetry. They would also see the parts we have one of, and notice that they run straight down the middle.

If you were to tell them that the heart is the main organ keeping us alive, they would guess there are two (one for backup), or one square in the middle. But one on the left side? If everything was expected, I wouldn't enjoy it, and I wouldn't believe it.

That's why I find fairy tales far more realistic than physics.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I'm really going to risk going off topic here, but that's only because I see an outside chance to revive it for a page or two.

We have two gifted students of the personality here. We have established, pace Eryides, at least sufficiently for our purposes, that religion is not a mental disorder.

Would there be any profit in you both leading a discussion on why people might think it is? We've looked at the psychology of the conspiracy theorist, Republicans and Democrats, is this worth exploring?

Oh, one other thing, BlueMule. I saw this and images of my mom came to mind when I was about seven. There was a bit of nostalgia for the past.

Now conduct youself properly.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

When this thread is finished, what would you like to talk about next? What would be a good subject for you? Anything you'd like to work on together?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I vote for synchronicity...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

windword

Please forgive my devilishness,
but, I have never heard this before.

Its a radical truth, very people know or have heard, let alone handle

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

So you are soulless? Wouldn't that mean you are basically dead inside?

You can never lose your soul my friend, the only time that happens is when you are literally dead.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Actually the heart is in the center of the chest. Sure it's slightly to the left of the breastbone, but it is still pretty much in the center of the chest.

www.webmd.com...

The heart is a muscular organ about the size of a fist, located just behind and slightly left of the breastbone. The heart pumps blood through the network of arteries and veins called the cardiovascular system.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Religion is a false belief just like people who believe man never walked on the moon. People often look to evidence that they think verifies their claim. All of their evidence is based off of faith, however. I do not think religion is a mental disorder, although the question demands a great answer which is why I like the question. Our minds are wired to ask questions and reach contentment. Religion, in a sense, was created to solve the questions our minds proposed. It is simply a misconception in the way we think.

Let's look at what we Hear:
1) I died and went to heaven and then came back so god is real.
-Well this occurs in all religions so i propose the question, who is right?
-Maybe you had a psychedelic experience where chemicals were released in your brain that caused you to believe in a mere imagination of your mind.
2) I asked for a healing, and was healed.
-In fact, it is widely know that divine healing has no scientific support behind it to validate claims (it's all in the imagination)
3) I prayed and my prayers were answered.
-Well maybe this is simply a coincidence, perhaps your hard work deserves more credit than you give it. And if you ask God for money and somebody happens to walk up to you that day and hand you 100 dollars, you think that's a miracle? Think about how many people must ask god this everyday, maybe you were just the lucky one who randomly got picked by another human to receive money that day. We give credit to things that are abnormal, but discredit normality (if you know what i mean).
4) For all 10,001 other claims (I'm almost certain an explanation is possible)

In essence, we want to believe in what we believe in. This creates a fallacy when for thousands of years people have practiced religion. For some reason, people buy in to the fact that humans have practiced religion for so long that it must be true. No, religion was founded when people needed explanations for things they couldn't explain. These explanations became complex overtime and evolved just like religion is continuously evolving (i.e. the catholic church). One of the largest problems is that religious people (although not all) fail to challenge their beliefs because they assume that their religion is right. Most more times than not it is pounded into their head from an early age and this is all they know. Asking if god is real is not a question to them because they often fail to look outside of the box for answers. Their answers are limited by misconceptions and unquestioning faith. Since Christians and other people of religion are so confident that they are right, the same mentality that led them to their false beliefs also leads them to be cruel, resort to violence, and disown others who disagree. Now you say that "that's not true, i'm a christian and I respect other people's beliefs." Well I am thankful that you have reached that conclusion and it is a personal belief just like mine. But I can assure you, where I live open-minded christians are few and far between. I find that I am always willing to look into people's claims about the truth of religion, but often religious people do not have the same capacity to look into the claims that non-religious people propose because their mind is blocked by misconceptions and unquestioning faith.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

3NL1GHT3N3D1

So you are soulless? Wouldn't that mean you are basically dead inside?

You can never lose your soul my friend, the only time that happens is when you are literally dead.

Dead inside , yes, that's what freedom is all about.
Yes by His Mighty Grace you can. Yes you are literally dead, but the Holy Ghost
give you Eternal life.
Praise The Lord

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

That doesn't make sense.

Mark 12
27 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. You are badly mistaken!

Are you saying you are spiritually dead? That would mean your god is not Jesus' God.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

liveforthetruth

Religion, in a sense, was created to solve the questions our minds proposed.

Cool story bro.

So do you think you created your just-so story there, in a sense, to solve your question of why religion was created? Careful! You might create a religion.

Hey don't get me wrong if you want to cling to some sort of naïve realism go ahead. Go ahead and reduce everything to "imagination" or "coincidence" (whatever those are) and ignore all the evidence that says we are more than just billions of bags of mostly water.

"The multiplicity is only apparent. This is the doctrine of the Upanishads. And not of the Upanishads only. The mystical experience of the union with God regularly leads to this view, unless strong prejudices stand in the way." -Erwin Schrödinger

edit on 26-11-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

3NL1GHT3N3D1

That doesn't make sense.

Mark 12
27 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. You are badly mistaken!

Are you saying you are spiritually dead? That would mean your god is not Jesus' God.

Know ye not that, you are Baptized unto His death, but live as His resurrection from the dead..
Pl look up my posts b4 posting.

Go Figure

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34 >>

join