It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C.I.A. Collecting Data on International Money Transfers, Officials Say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

The Central Intelligence Agency is secretly collecting bulk records of international money transfers handled by companies like Western Union — including transactions into and out of the United States — under the same law that the National Security Agency uses for its huge database of Americans’ phone records, according to current and former government officials.

C.I.A. Collecting Data on International Money Transfers, Officials Say

I can't believe that this hasn't been posted yet here. The C.I.A. is apparently getting while the getting is good and has jumped onto the spying on Americans bandwagon, and they are using the same flimsy wording in the Patriot Act that the NSA uses.

CIA's Financial Spying Bags Data on Americans

In this case, the secret surveillance court has authorized the Federal Bureau of Investigation to work with the CIA to collect large amounts of data on international transactions, including those of Americans, as part of the agency's terrorism investigations.

The data collected by the CIA doesn't include any transactions that are solely domestic, and the majority of records collected are solely foreign, but they include those to and from the U.S., as well. In some cases, it does include data beyond basic financial records, such as U.S. Social Security numbers, which can be used to tie the financial activity to a specific person. That has raised concerns among some lawmakers who learned about the program this summer, according to officials briefed on the matter.

This is very disturbing. Now not only do they insist on knowing everything we are talking about, they insist on knowing everything we spend our money on. Granted much of this information is for international transfers, but how long do you expect that to remain the case?

Source: CIA using Patriot Act to collect money transfer data

Boyd said that the agency's activities are overseen by Senate and House intelligence committees, the FISA court, the Justice Department and other agencies.

And of course this program gets to be overseen by the FISA court. You know the one that can make all decisions in secret and not tell anyone the reasons for such. We need to disband this court as well as repeal the Patriot Act, the C.I.A. is overstepping their mandate because of it, just like the NSA. This "it's all for your protection crap." needs to go. I can protect myself thank you very much.
edit on 15-11-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Does anyone else think that it might be easier to live your life as one of crime and hiding in the modern world? Also get it wrong and you go to a nice prison and be fed and clothed for nothing - heck you can even get buff and watch tv at the same time.

Playing by the rules, "a free man" seems to be increasingly invaded in privacy and weaving through tedious red tape and check points and so on.

Hippy commune is starting to sound better and better.....

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
That isn't applicable to me. They won't even find much money within the country that is transferred by us. Except the money transferred from our savings to the checking account to pay bills. Funny how money never seems to travel the other way anymore.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I just want to know why the government insists on knowing EVERY LITTLE DETAIL about what we are doing. Why does it matter so much?

It is kind of funny that the C.I.A. is going to get a bunch of information on how corrupt our business leaders are and what they are doing with all that money they are funneling out of the country. Too bad due to the double standard in this country they won't be prosecuted, but I bet if you or I were to transfer a large sum offshores, some guys in black suits will show up at your door and ask what you were doing.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I think they started doing this early in 2012. I buy money orders to pay for rent each month. In early 2012, the place I buy money orders started scanning the barcode on my driver's license each time I buy one. The cashier told me the feds are "trying to prevent money laundering through transfers." It really made me feel uncomfortable that they are treating every individual as a criminal. They are putting together a database of who/when/why/etc.

Imagine how much money the government will waste on this. They might find a few bad apples, but at what cost? My prediction: They are so insecure, they will never have security as they want to. It's wastefulness like this that will be the downfall of the empire.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Yep, and for US citizens outside of the USA, FISA has had the ability to conduct warrantless electronic search and seizure -- without your knowledge (obviously.) This is admitted.

They don't want to admit they are doing it to people inside the USA. That is illegal, supposedly... I guess it doesn't matter though, no one is going to jail over it.

edit on 15-11-2013 by Philippines because: typing too fast, didnt get my thought out right

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

Exactly, even when they tell us they are blatantly doing illegal things, no one cares. I heard about this story on the radio today and it was mentioned during a slew of other stories like it was no big deal. As soon as I heard it, I knew I was behind and a story SHOULD have been posted here. I got to work and nope. Seeing the lack of responses to this thread as well, I guess listening to your phone calls is taboo for the government, but them knowing what you are spending your money on is A-OK.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

InFriNiTee
I think they started doing this early in 2012. I buy money orders to pay for rent each month. In early 2012, the place I buy money orders started scanning the barcode on my driver's license each time I buy one. The cashier told me the feds are "trying to prevent money laundering through transfers." It really made me feel uncomfortable that they are treating every individual as a criminal. They are putting together a database of who/when/why/etc.

Imagine how much money the government will waste on this. They might find a few bad apples, but at what cost? My prediction: They are so insecure, they will never have security as they want to. It's wastefulness like this that will be the downfall of the empire.

When government behaves this way it's because they are bankrupt.

They need this money to stay afloat and try to maintain good reputation and credit standings (flashy shiny things to impress other nations).

Governments in this situation need a magnifying glass on all money transactions to make sure they can extract a cut for themselves; while prying for evasion. The "cost" funds itself from voluntary taxpayers and any convictions resulting in some fines and sometimes jail time, which the taxpayers also fund. (unless you're Geithner and others)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Maybe they see the writing on the wall. I believe one of their big cash cows is drying up. People are awakening to the fact the drug war is a sham and utter failure. Even worse an intentional failure. Maybe they are looking to move onto business extortion. CIA shows up and tells you they now requires 2% of the funds you are moving. Anyone want to say no? I doubt it.
edit on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 12:45:53 -0600 by TKDRL because: Argh, need to finish coffee before I start typing

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Also interesting in light of the fact that many banks simply refused to do int'l money transfers for a few weeks during about the time of the gov't shutdown. I believe most have started again but am not sure.

Wonder if there's a link of some sort?

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
So let's say I send less then $100 of money to a guy Japan every now and then for dvd's of old sports games, does that mean the CIA is collecting that info or are they really only interested in money being sent to the middle east/parts of Africa?
Does anyone know if Paypal is also include in these companies that they are going to monitor?

edit on 16-11-2013 by nancyliedersdeaddog because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-11-2013 by nancyliedersdeaddog because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join