It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New record: World’s oldest animal is(was) 507 years old

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

You guys are making me hungry. Stop it!

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

JayinAR
I can't believe people are outraged by this. HAHA!
Eating a clam is the closest you can get to eating a plant while still eating meat.

Not only that but plants communicate with one another.
Pretty soon all the vegan types are gonna have to starve themselves lest they be considered hypocrites.

Vegans usually only eat seeds and seed pods (fruit), and the leaves of some plants. Carrots are the line some people draw, because to eat a carrot kills the whole plant.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by Klassified

the blanket blank guy who accidently killed the captive creature by cracking open its shell to study something or other should be indicted for first degree murder, tried, and put into a stock in the town square for a day - at a minimum. The poor thing lives for over 500 years and then is captured and tortured until it died.

Wow, overreaction much?
That's kind of a psychotic break over reaction.

It's a mollusk. It's about as sentient as a worm, which is to say not at all.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

truthseeker84
Is this thing... considered an "animal"?

Because if these sea creatures are considered "animals", then wouldn't Lobsters and those specific type of jelly fish would be a lot older than say 500 years?

Technically speaking, those things are immortal and never die.

Yes, the Immortal Jelly Fish is the only living creature that is actually immortal.

Coral can live for thousands of years.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

optimus primal

Aleister

the blanket blank guy who accidently killed the captive creature by cracking open its shell to study something or other should be indicted for first degree murder, tried, and put into a stock in the town square for a day - at a minimum. The poor thing lives for over 500 years and then is captured and tortured until it died.

Wow, overreaction much?

Psychotic only if you don't take the point of view of the tortured mollusk. Was the mollusk alive and well before someone tortured and killed it to study something? Is the cow in the slaughterhouse being purposely murdered? Is the pig about to be gutted any less alive than the person gutting it?

Homo sapiens are the only species which purposely destroys forests. That fact alone is indicative that something went very wrong somewhere in the human timeline.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Yeah, that's so sad. Did anyone bring butter?

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Aleister
Homo sapiens are the only species which purposely destroys forests.
What about beavers?

Beaver Damage

Beaver damage to the forest on the north shore of Robalo Lake, Navarino Island, Chile.

I'm not a tree hugger who thinks we should never cut down a tree, but I do respect older creatures, like 500 year old mollusks or a 5063 year old pine tree. So cut down the 5063 year old pine tree and I'll be angry too, but I really have no major problem with managed forests, in fact it's one way to keep forests around:

www.twosides.us...

In the United States, we grow more trees than we harvest. The amount of U.S. forestland has remained essentially the same for the last 100 years at about 750 million acres, even though the U.S. population tripled during the same period.

- U.S. Forest Service

The income landowners receive for trees grown on their land encourages them to maintain, renew and manage this valuable resource sustainably. This is an especially important consideration in places facing economic pressures to convert forestland to non-forest uses.

- World Business Council for Sustainable Development

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Not a few trees, entire forests. Humans are the only animal to destroy entire forests. For housing, for wood, but mainly to raise their cows in, or to grow food to feed their cows and hogs so they could kill them too. Circle of life?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Aleister

I don't think you understand the definition of murder.
And a day in the stocks is not the penalty for first degree murder
Our Creator put us at the top of the food chain on this planet. Relax and enjoy the privilege. If we don't eat, we die. That is the will of the Creator. I have a feeling you don't mean what you say and just wanted a reaction and I fell for it.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
the clam's name was Ming? RIP buddy, hope u ended up in a chowdah.

i had a friend by that name. he was my dishwasher.

how did they know it was old? was it tough?

i've dealt with shellfish a long time, the inside of the shell doesn't tell you anything.

carbon dating? won't work.

i used to go quohogging on cape cod and other places in MA. i wonder how old they were?

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

riffraff

Aleister

Our Creator put us at the top of the food chain on this planet. Relax and enjoy the privilege. If we don't eat, we die. That is the will of the Creator. I have a feeling you don't mean what you say and just wanted a reaction and I fell for it.

Nope, meant it. A day in the stocks would be appropriate. The man knew that when he cracked the shell of this creature he was killing it. There are millions of people who consider that murder, and I happen to be one of those millions.

As for bringing god and religion into the discussion, just wondering if you've read the bible. Not the whole thing, just the first page. The first thing god said to man, the first "heavenly" instruction to a human? No? Well, it's in Genesis 1:29, about what to eat, about humans "being given" (thank you very much) the seeds and plants as food. There isn't a biblical food chain which includes animals for people who live in paradise.

That said, if I've changed your eating habits with one post (probably never happens - it took me five years from hearing about the benefit of being a vegetarian to change over from my lifelong corpsearianism, and another three to go vegan. I though I was intelligent before I did that. Ha! As dumb as a post - this post!) you are one lucky person.
edit on 15-11-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tsingtao

how did they know it was old? was it tough?

It's in the OP, and in the article. They used a few methods to determine age.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Aleister

JayinAR
I can't believe people are outraged by this. HAHA!
Eating a clam is the closest you can get to eating a plant while still eating meat.

Not only that but plants communicate with one another.
Pretty soon all the vegan types are gonna have to starve themselves lest they be considered hypocrites.

Vegans usually only eat seeds and seed pods (fruit), and the leaves of some plants. Carrots are the line some people draw, because to eat a carrot kills the whole plant.

I can imagine that there are a lot of vegans with extra adipose tissue and cholesterol problems. A high carbohydrate diet (which is what a "seed pod" is) is what creates the fats in the bloodstream, via conversion of sugars/carbs to fats in the liver. Its why a duck gets a fatty liver when forcefed grains. You can get the same effect with heavy beer drinkers, who get fatty liver and cirrhosis.

Point being: eating the foods you eat sound great. But my body's metabolism does not let me eat that kind of stuff, or I risk weighing 500lbs again.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

With the exception of the emerald ash borer, pine beetles, Douglas-fir tussock moth, gypsy moth, elm beetle, tent caterpillar, you get the idea.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Aleister

optimus primal

Aleister

Wow, overreaction much?

Psychotic only if you don't take the point of view of the tortured mollusk. Was the mollusk alive and well before someone tortured and killed it to study something? Is the cow in the slaughterhouse being purposely murdered? Is the pig about to be gutted any less alive than the person gutting it?

Homo sapiens are the only species which purposely destroys forests. That fact alone is indicative that something went very wrong somewhere in the human timeline.

What they were studying is the effects of global warming since clams are filters, and by studying the composite fo the shell lines, they can see how the climate has changed the oceans.

I am a tree hugger too but I unlike you, I put my energy into where it is necessary, and not wasting it wish death on a person who is trying to do the greater good by providing the world with valuable information on the effects of global warming. Ming's death isn't going to go wasted.

To sit here and waste valuable energy over one clam is just silly. It would be better spend convincing the Chinese to not kill 30 million sharks each year, to drown at the bottom of the ocean just for fin soup. Or killing hundreds of Elephants and rhinos just for their ivory. Don't waste it on the one guy who is actually spending their energy trying to prove that the whole planet is doing harm to the oceans. That is where your energy should be spent.

Human or not, animals kill. That is a fact of life. Whether you like it or not.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Who is wishing death on anyone? A few hours in a stock in the public square would be fine though. People as a whole seem unaware that what they are eating - and studying like the fine gentleman who killed a 500 year old creature to put a couple of numbers onto his notepad or whatever it was he was torturing it for - was very recently as alive as they are. A few years ago I was at a grocers's, and the butcher was layng out his days products, and I mentioned that he had a fine collection of corpses there. He seemed surprised, and told me that he had worked in the business for 25 years and hadn't ever thought of the meat as corpses, and he wasn't being sarcastic but meant it. I ate "meat" for decades and never once thought of the fact that I was putting a piece of a corpse in my mouth. By not realizing that society may be wrong in accepting the eating of meat as a normal human activity, and thus to silently condone the destruction of the forests, ocean life, prairieland, and our loved ones health as normal and sane, not describing or calling it is may be a big part of the problem. And I did feel for the mollusk as well, it being the oldest non-plant creature every discovered.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

SLAYER69
Steamed with some long rice and a squeeze of lemon...Oh wait

RIP

You forgot the butter, Slayer. Must have butter.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Aleister

riffraff

Aleister

Nope, meant it. A day in the stocks would be appropriate. The man knew that when he cracked the shell of this creature he was killing it. There are millions of people who consider that murder, and I happen to be one of those millions.

As for bringing god and religion into the discussion, just wondering if you've read the bible. Not the whole thing, just the first page. The first thing god said to man, the first "heavenly" instruction to a human? No? Well, it's in Genesis 1:29, about what to eat, about humans "being given" (thank you very much) the seeds and plants as food. There isn't a biblical food chain which includes animals for people who live in paradise.

That said, if I've changed your eating habits with one post (probably never happens - it took me five years from hearing about the benefit of being a vegetarian to change over from my lifelong corpsearianism, and another three to go vegan. I though I was intelligent before I did that. Ha! As dumb as a post - this post!) you are one lucky person.

I really don't think that the bible and the Creator have anything to do with each other but since you mentioned the bible: I went to a Christian academy. It was rather arrogant and rude to assume that I have not read the bible. I have read it entirely ( by force) more than once. If you know it so well you will know that not only did god give man all seed bearing plants for his use but also the birds of the air and the beasts of the fields.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by riffraff

I apologize if you thought I was serious, I know that most literate people have read the bible (but probably not the Koran, at least in western nations) and was just asking the question as a way to lead into my point. And you say god said in the bible to eat the birds of the air and the beasts in the fields? Genesis 1:29 says it all, if a person is religious. It's always interesting to see the reaction if a Christian or Jew asks where in the bible or torah that god instructs humans to eat seeds and plants, and they find out "It's on the first page!"

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by nixie_nox

Who is wishing death on anyone? A few hours in a stock in the public square would be fine though. People as a whole seem unaware that what they are eating - and studying like the fine gentleman who killed a 500 year old creature to put a couple of numbers onto his notepad or whatever it was he was torturing it for - was very recently as alive as they are. A few years ago I was at a grocers's, and the butcher was layng out his days products, and I mentioned that he had a fine collection of corpses there. He seemed surprised, and told me that he had worked in the business for 25 years and hadn't ever thought of the meat as corpses, and he wasn't being sarcastic but meant it. I ate "meat" for decades and never once thought of the fact that I was putting a piece of a corpse in my mouth. By not realizing that society may be wrong in accepting the eating of meat as a normal human activity, and thus to silently condone the destruction of the forests, ocean life, prairieland, and our loved ones health as normal and sane, not describing or calling it is may be a big part of the problem. And I did feel for the mollusk as well, it being the oldest non-plant creature every discovered.

Part of the problem of the world: people are not close to their food.

Absolutely its a corpse. Getting meat is smelly business. Dogs don't seem to mind. Often see them head down in the "gut bucket", tail wagging.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join