It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone use the Surface Pro for work?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Assistance needed please:

We are looking at using the new Surface Pro at work and have ordered a couple to test out. Today was like Christmas in the IT department. All you could hear was the paper being torn off as we ripped into our new "toys".
Then it was more like Halloween with a trick. We knew that there was no way around Windows 8, but is it really this hard??? Is there some secret handshake that we are missing? Is it Windows 8 (which due to licensing prices we will get with or without the Surface) or is it just a surface and they just aren't ready for a large company domain with over 1000 endusers? It seems like a struggle to get any of our systems to run [you have to tile to the desktop and then run the apps, we cannot get them to add as tiles] and every time we log in we have to log in with a computer account and then when we start one of our apps log onto the domain with a domain account. We are lucky to get our "dear" staff to log in to the program, adding all of these extra logins will just kill us with AD and app lock outs. Please tell me there is a fix we are missing and I really did get an early Christmas present.......

Thanks to any thoughts, help, or experience that someone can give.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Martin75

www.stardock.com...

or

www.classicshell.net...

classicshell is free.

it will put the start menu back on to win 8.

Win 8 is a good OS.

But the GUI is caca.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Seriously I am not trying to sound biased, but this doesn't sound like a good fit. I am not that knowledgeable about what your company is needing these for but have you guys called Apple at all? If not, I would suggest giving them a call and seeing if they can provide an alternative with iPads. It may cost more, but the user experience disaster you guys are having sounds like this may be the answer. You guys need to be up and running as soon as possible, not fooling around with trying to get the stuff to work and then teaching/coaxing ppl to use it.. Also, it sounds like Microsoft hasn't sent anyone to show you guys anything IN PERSON, which I am almost certain, Apple would give, plus further support down the line etc.

I have used windows 8 a few times and I have been a computer nerd all my life and I couldn't even figure out how to print a PDF. It was insulting. Though that was a non-touchscreen laptop but still, the problem was it wasn't easy to get done what I had to do. It was insulting to sit for 5-10 mins going "duuuuhhhh" at the screen before I found out how to do what I needed. I can't imagine being a business with real work and deadlines to meet trying to figure that stuff out.

All I am saying is that you guys should look into options. Also, Microsoft is changing a lot internally lately (CEO step down etc) and I can't say if that may impact any customer experiences, but it could. Just stuff to consider. I wish you and your coworkers well in whatever option you choose. Good luck!

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I'm not really sure what your'e trying to do, but I would recommend taking a look at the following link:

Windows 8

You don't need to tile your apps, there is an Apps view which lists every application you have installed. There is also a regular Windows desktop that is accessible, as well as a Control Panel. In the Control Panel, you should be able to do all of the normal things you're trying to, such as adding accounts and users, joining a workgroup or domain and integrating active directory. I recommend starting there, that should get you going in the right direction. I personally don't like the Windows 8 UX, but it gets the job done well on a Surface Pro.

Good luck!

~Namaste

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by rbkruspe

Ballmer stepping down means little in the grand scheme of things. They are moving towards devices and services as their new strategy, so all that means is more use of cloud-based services for products like Office and SQL, and more integration across their devices, especially with their new acquisition of Nokia.

If the OP's company is a majority Microsoft shop, with applications that run on Windows, I wouldn't recommend pushing them towards Apple products. Apple is great if the things you are using it for are already offered as apps that integrate into your infrastructure, such as Evernote or e-mail, but if you are wanting to run Microsoft applications, Apple is not the product line you want in your organization. For IT operations, where they probably want to RDP into servers, or run programs like Wireshark, or run internal enterprise applications that are written for Windows, a Surface is a good choice, even though Windows 8 sucks.

Windows 8 is not THAT hard to use, but it is a departure from most previous experiences in Windows, and I'm not a big fan either, but it does take some getting used to. Once you get beyond the things that you're accustomed to doing, almost everything else is still the same. I will also say that it is utterly retarded that you should have to spend $150 for a keyboard, which is a MUST, because Microsoft should have just included it considering the cost of the Surface. Oh well, it just drives more people to buy Apple and will only hurt Microsoft in the long run.

~Namaste

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Thank you all for your help and links. Firewalls wouldn't allow me to turn to you earlier. Right now we are just testing to see if it's a fit, didn't want to give up on day 1. Looks like we have a busy day tomorrow and BIG decisions ahead. Again thank you all!

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

That keyboard they advertise/imply as being included, costs $150.00 extra?! Damn. I don't even think external keyboards for iOS stuff cost that much. I just use the onscreen keyboard, which is great once you get used to it.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

rbkruspe
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

That keyboard they advertise/imply as being included, costs $150.00 extra?! Damn. I don't even think external keyboards for iOS stuff cost that much. I just use the onscreen keyboard, which is great once you get used to it.

No they do get up there.

and there's 2 different keyboards for the surface

store.apple.com...#!

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

rbkruspe
I have used windows 8 a few times and I have been a computer nerd all my life and I couldn't even figure out how to print a PDF. It was insulting.

I don't have a thouchscreen or a laptop, but in the PDF reader you just have to right-click on the screen and click on the Print button that appears on the lower right corner (at least with Windows 8.1, I don't remember how it was with Windows 8).

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
So I thought I would give a quick update...

The surface is getting much better...thanks to all the great links! We were able to get them connected to the domain and they seem to be working great with our applications. The on screen keyboard seems like it will work out great but I find that there are lots of things that would work better with a mouse. We don't have any accessories yet. I think I am going to try just a regular USB mouse.

Is there something hand held that functions as a mouse that we can get? If not I have a great idea for a tech inventor.....LOL

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Why don't you just install Windows 7 on it? Use a USB extension to add USB Ports. Plug in the USB keyboard and USB stick and go. Windows 7 does support touch. Its not the greatest but it isn't terrible. Even supports hand writing recognition.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by lobograndemalo

With the levels of support that we need we are going to have to move to 8 so we might as well do it now. If we can get them working the way we want we might roll them out to some end users. Right now it looks like toys for management and the end users will continue to use desktops and COWS (computers on wheels-they are mobile laptop carts).

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Martin75

I see. I don't have any experience with 8 on domains. We just moved to Windows 7 where I work. I can't see Windows 8 being good at workstation style stuff, but I can certainly see it being useful for cashiers/waiters/hospitals etc. Places that need more tracking of things than actual use of the computer. On a side note I would buy one if Microsoft would get rid of the kickstand and design some sort of way for me to have the keyboard and screen in my lap.

top topics

join