It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Enders Game" review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
What a disappointment. Another case of the trailer being better than the film. The actors weren't really into their roles and sounded like they were just reading the script. The editing was choppy making it difficult to follow the story line. I hadn't read the book; that might have helped. Character development was just barely discernible. And just didn't care about any of them.

But with that being said the CGI and fantastic visuals almost made this movie worth seeing and the sound track was fantastic. It takes more however than the classic "hero's journey" format with a little twist to make a good film.

Most of the big budget Hollywood directors/screenwriters need to take some classes from Tarantino or Hitchcock and learn how to wrap a story around interesting characters.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Just like Starship Troopers. You've never seen so many disappointed 50 year olds than the ones I saw walking out of the theater that night. There's a lot of hurry up and wait in the book that can't be portrayed in the movie, I'm sure. Haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure I'll be disappointed, at least with the story.

But hey, did stuff blow up good?!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Mon1k3r

But hey, did stuff blow up good?!!!

stuff blowed up real good, wit far n pieces of stuff. And lots of raypistols shootin but no cussin or boobs to be seen.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I'm a big fan of "Ender's Game" and all of Orson Scott Card's books. Loved his "Seventh Son" series! But, that being said, if you haven't read the books, the movie is gonna suck. That's all there is to it!

edit on 5-11-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Seen the movie today and . . . . . . well . . it wasn't bad, bad, but then again, I've lowered my expectations for new movies. But like others, I was think the same as this being like Starship Troopers.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Read the book a long time ago. It was a pretty good book,perhaps a bit difficult to follow. First book in what is now at least a four book series.There may be more by now,so get ready for sequels.Truthfully the story in books 2&3are alot better.
edit on 11/5/2013 by lonegurkha because: edit to add

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

olaru12
stuff blowed up real good, wit far n pieces of stuff. And lots of raypistols shootin but no cussin or boobs to be seen.

Well that's real good then. Cain't be no cussin or boobs on accounta Card bein' such a good Mormon and all...

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Just got back from watching it with my daughter. I read the book when I was 14 and it had a huge impact on my life. I enjoyed the movie enough. For those whom have just watched the movie but haven't read the book, I'd suggest reading the book. Although in most cases it would never work, I think this may be that interesting exception to the rule. The book is a one of a kind and the movie would have to be six hours long to do it any real justice. The guys who took on this project had some cahones. I'd have though it impossible.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
While there are more books in the series, the rest (Speaker of the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind) have quite a different tone then Ender's Game . They are far more philosophical and do not contain all the action Ender's Game did . As such, I doubt they will make a sequel based on the other books.

While I greatly enjoyed the Ender series of books I would like to take this chance to say there is actually a parallel series that I enjoyed even more, the shadow saga. Starting with Ender's Shadow it follows one of the characters you meet in Ender's Game (Tells battle school story from his perspective). Whereas the Ender series goes into space, the rest of the shadow saga (Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant) revolves more around the developing politics of the earth after the events of Ender's game. Some on this site might find it interesting since it includes elements of things like the NWO.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by EnderuvStin

read, read, read. The Shadow Saga Loosely revolves around his "jeesh" and their conflicts down on earth, His brother Peter who just wants to rule the world. and the shifting political, military, and strategic tides amongst the nations. Its quite a read. The latter world is of Ender's and his travels through space with his ear cyber personality "Jane". You see different worlds and Orson somehow thought up a different life cycle and Ender's feelings about the Hive Queen change. Like I said. The books do it justice. Lots of cerebral, personality thought put into it. You get into the minds of the characters, literally. I can't say enough about them. Loved them as a teenager and love them now. Significant impact on my life as well. The word Ender is my "special" word. We have em, the ones with meaning to you. That's mine.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mactheaxe

More meant for people who might be interested. If anybody still reads these days.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Couldn't agree more!!! Here's what I noticed, if you ever go to IMDB and they've rated a new movie anything over an 8 out of 10 then it's likely a fake. Enders got like a 9.6 out of 10. What a lie! That was totally made up just to have a bigger opening weekend.

But the movie sucked, except for a slight surprise ending which wasn't kinda predictable. They should have showed a love scene between him and that girl. that would have been funny! What a waste of money!
edit on 6-11-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I liked this movie... i think it could be done better but that was interesting.

top topics

join