It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Ride a Motorcycle?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Rewey

Oh WOW that enfield is GORGEOUS! did you do the resto work on it yourself? How much did it cost when you got it?? I love me some classic bikes! Especially the euro triumphs, enfields and the like

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

Thats a great quote to live by.. my father is around 75.. Still riding even in his withered condition, even though he had to switch from a pacific coast to a silverwing
Riding with him is what got me into bikes at the beginning. After seeing all the different types and interesting styles of bike, I decided I HAD to own one or 7 of my own. The busa you're considering, i've had a few friends with them but they dont put enough faith into those bikes as I'd have hoped. Apparently a zx14 would be a better investment according to them. What do you think?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
My goal is in a few years to sell the V-Star 650, and pick up a nice Harley Softtail Deluxe....preferably around a 2004-2008 model. Ahh...dreams.

edit on 11/5/2013 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

OK So what do you like about the star, and what dont you like about it? Details please

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

kingofyo1

OK So what do you like about the star, and what dont you like about it? Details please

- Reliability for one. It is a shaft-drive, so no worries about belts or chains
- Cost. They are nice cruisers comparable to Harleys, but cost a fraction of that
- Maintenance. As a "metric bike", parts can be had almost anywhere
- Support. There are a ton of online support forums and modification related items
- Looks. It looks like a Harley because it's a V-twin motor, in the softtail style

Don't Like
- It's "cold blooded", meaning it has a manual choke, and needs to warm up a few minutes, and you slowly push in the choke to get it running smooth (but, I use that time to suit up anyways, so I don't miss it)
- Sound, you can definitely hear the shaft-drive sound while riding, but it's not big deal
- It's a bit under powered in that (the 650) has only 5 gears, and feels like it needs a 6th at the top end

I hope this helps.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

As I havent gotten to ride the one I'm getting yet, I've no clue much about it, except what i've read online. At the same time, the customizability of them is of the highest caliber, much like Harleys. I LOVE that about them. Does the 1100 use driveshaft or belt/chain? does it have a 6 speed trans, or same 5 speed like the 650?

Edit: Also, my GS500 is cold blooded with the manual choke, so I know where you're coming from with that. It isnt a shaft, but chain driven, so I've never gotten to hear a shaft whine before while riding. ONly previously ran on traditional or crotch rocket styled bikes.

edit on 5-11-2013 by kingofyo1 because: reasons

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kingofyo1

Hey,

Believe it or not, it's a 2012 model - they still make them like that. I read somewhere that they're the world's longest produced model of bike (but I can't confirm or deny). Apparently they've only changed a handful of things over the past 60 years - a disc brake to the front, an alloy engine instead of cast iron, and EFI instead of carby.

The Royal Enfield name has quite a history to it. The 'Royal' in the name comes from the actual assent of the British Royal family back when Enfield made cannons (and later machine guns). I believe they were originally the Brits attempt at helping the war effort, competing with the German BMWs and the Russian Urals. From what I've read, India was so impressed with them, that following WW2 Royal Enfield set up a manufacturing plant in India to make them for the Indian police and armed forces. The British plants have since closed down, and now they're only made in India - around 30,000 of them every year from what I've read.

Every time I see someone from India, they come and tell me about the memories they get flooding back from seeing it. There are also companies that run Royal Enfield treks through places like the Himalayas. Would be absolutely amazing to do. You can google people's blogs about the rides.

Cheers,
Rewey

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Rewey

oh WOW! That is surprising to me, it looks EXACTLY the same as i've seen ones from back in the 60s and before o.O beautiful bike nonetheless, and one of the himalayan treks would be gorgeous on one!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I am something of a newcomer to the world of motorcycles. I have owned mine for about a year and a half.

I needed a vehicle that was versatile and got better mileage than my Torino, which I refuse to part with. I watched a video on these and decided that it was my ideal mode of transportation. I love everything about it. It has brought me into the wonderful world of motorcycle enthusiasm.

While it might not convey the same experience as the "I've got two wheels and an open road" crowd, it meets my needs. I also take satisfaction knowing "the open road" is optional.

And for a grin, the video that sold me..

or link since I can't remember how to embed...

www.youtube.com...

Cheers

Boba

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Bobaganoosh

now THAT is a versatile wonder! and you've got 2 wheels, plus one or two more! and a lot more space than side saddles can compensate for with the sidecar! The real question is how much fun do you have with it?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I try to have fun with it daily. I'm weird when it comes to vehicles. Our commute sets the mood to and from our alter-lives at work. If I don't make the most of my commute, and I get a bad attitude, it reflects poorly on me and makes it more difficult to deal with my co-workers.

With that rationale, I try to have fun daily.. Rain, snow, sleet, wind, I enjoy the challenge.

It does help that I live in an area where year round riding is possible with preparation.

Boba

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

My wife and I both like the Busa on the sports side of the house and Big Bear and Bourget on the chopper side. We are currently looking at a custom Hayabusa and Big Bear sled. Tough part is which one to get but love-um both, so may just end up buying the two of them.

We are just hardcore bikers and ride rain or shine 365. As it has long since been said, live to ride, ride to live.

edit on 11/5/2013 by pstrron because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

do you watch SOA pst??

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Lots of nice bike everyone.
I sure miss mine My last bike was a 2010 triumph rocket iii roadster If you guys have never rode one you are missing out on one hell of a ride. It was between this and a busa.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Sorry, I do not know what SOA is as I do not watch TV and have not lived in the US for years. So I am not up on what is happening in the biker world in the US.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

Ah, its a television show based on a motorcycle club.. Some pretty sweet bikes in it too! Getting pretty close to finally heading home and riding again, feeling giddy! Just thinking about bikes relives my experiences of going down the winding backroads, leaning into the curves, and even just going full throttle down an old country road again!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join