It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Hopelessly Addicted to Folding Paper

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I am completely, and thoroughly, addicted to folding paper. I'm sure there are much worse things to be hooked on

Sorry these are all so big, I don't know how to make them smaller. If anyone would be kind enough to tell me how, I'll edit the OP to reduce the size.

This is a rhombicuboctahedron (say that even one time fast!) made from "curler" units. Its a modular origami and made from 24 pieces of paper. There is no glue, the curls are holding it together and its surprisingly sturdy.

Flower Tower by Chris Palmer. By far the hardest thing I have ever made. Its a single sheet and is an action model and the image shows some of the positions it can be moved into.

Spread Hexagon Tessellation by Eric Gjerde made from a hexagon on painted paper.

Top: Smart Waterbomb by Philip Chapman Bell
Bottom: Elephant as demonstrated by Leyla Torrez on Youtube (I don't know who the creator is for sure)

6 level Hydrangea Tessellation by Shuzo Fujimoto on a piece of painted sketch paper (the record is eleven levels.. someday). My dog actually ate this one :/

High Density Hydrangea (four on one sheet) from a diagram by Peter Budai based off of Fujimoto's Hydrangea. Not too shabby for a first attempt

Naval Shell by Tomoko Fuse

Carambola Blossoms by Carmen Sprung made into an arrangement complete with "faux" water. Each flower is made from a pentagon shaped piece of paper. Each paper was custom colored specifically for this flower and painted with iridescent paint to seal the chalk.

Grid of 12 Kawasaki's Roses encased in a shadow box.

Thanks for checking out my paper stuff
Let me know what you think!

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Very pretty and must take a lot of patience!!

Everybody here seems to have a hobby... I need to get one.

Thank you for sharing. I have watched tons of origami videos on youtube and am amazed by them and yours (talent) as well. Making something with your hands has a certain satisfaction to it that not many things can match.
edit on 11/4/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

I always said, if you are going to exhibit compulsive behavior, make sure it is positive, and not negatively destructive. Your art, is quite beautiful, so as long as it doesn't disrupt your daily responsibilities, and it makes you happy, by all means paper fold on...

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Put that stuff on etsy and start making some dough, maybe try making stuff with tyvek paper and some light gluing to make permanent art.

Thats fairly cool.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
These are gorgeous! Did you learn from a book?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Have you ever seen "Between the Folds"? Its a documentary about paper folding and I love it. Its part of what started this for me.

It does take patience, but the satisfaction of completing a model outweighs the frustration.

Thanks for the reply

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Man! You have an awful lot of time on your hands! Nice work though.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I actually do have an etsy but its not entirely setup yet. I've been saying forever that I'm getting it going because I make gift boxes/favor boxes as well. I need to get a bit of an inventory going first and decide exactly what I'm selling. Also, I have to contact the model creator's and make sure they are okay with it. Someday

Thanks for the reply and for checking it out

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Exquisitely beautiful Dari! I can't even imagine the dexterity it must take to make those, along with the patience. You follow instructions? Amazing! Origami has grown up. From pain, beauty.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Pillywiggin

Youtube and diagrams off the internet

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Iamschist
Exquisitely beautiful Dari! I can't even imagine the dexterity it must take to make those, along with the patience. You follow instructions? Amazing! Origami has grown up. From pain, beauty.

Thanks

Most of these are memorized. Many folds and patterns repeat across the board, so its not hard to remember.

I actually do it (in part) to keep my dexterity (arthritis but you knew that) and so far... its working pretty well. I guess that's just a nice bonus to something I love anyway

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

That is exactly the one I watched on Netflix! I am a documentary junkie and the sheets of paper that one guy was folding was huge! I had no idea how complicated it was until I saw that. It was a good watch!

I can definitely see how that got you hooked!

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

daryllyn
reply to post by benrl

I actually do have an etsy but its not entirely setup yet. I've been saying forever that I'm getting it going because I make gift boxes/favor boxes as well. I need to get a bit of an inventory going first and decide exactly what I'm selling. Also, I have to contact the model creator's and make sure they are okay with it. Someday

Thanks for the reply and for checking it out

My wife does similar work with Duct tape... Last christmas I got her almost every roll of the decorative duct tapes they make (Part of why I love my wife, how many dudes get to get away with getting their wife duct-tape for Christmas, and she was not only happy but ecstatic by it...)

She started putting stuff on etsy with the help of a friend who does jewelry on etsy, shes sold a couple pocket books, wallets, flower pens all made with duct tape.

Seriously good work you have there, Im willing to bet you'd make some sales with all that.

I hope you follow through with it because that stuff is really neat.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

That is exactly the one I watched on Netflix! I am a documentary junkie and the sheets of paper that one guy was folding was huge! I had no idea how complicated it was until I saw that. It was a good watch!

I can definitely see how that got you hooked!

It's not on there anymore, at least not last time I searched for it. I'm still sad about it.

It is amazing what can be made from paper, that's for sure.

this guy is my hero

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Very cool.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

My wife does similar work with Duct tape... Last christmas I got her almost every roll of the decorative duct tapes they make (Part of why I love my wife, how many dudes get to get away with getting their wife duct-tape for Christmas, and she was not only happy but ecstatic by it...)

She started putting stuff on etsy with the help of a friend who does jewelry on etsy, shes sold a couple pocket books, wallets, flower pens all made with duct tape.

Seriously good work you have there, Im willing to bet you'd make some sales with all that.

LOL to the duct tape!

Hopefully after the holidays I can get serious about it. I guess I'll have to make more stuff out of paper in the mean time.... OH DARN! Lol

Thanks for the compliments, sir.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Stunningly amazing, amazingly beautiful works of art they are to be sure.
You have a talent there no doubt.
Some of them are on one piece of paper? Just brilliant.
i read somewhere that you can only fold a piece of paper in two 7 times, no matter how big the sheet. im sure it was 7 times. You know, fold it in 2, then 2 again etc.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

SecretKnowledge
Stunningly amazing, amazingly beautiful works of art they are to be sure.
You have a talent there no doubt.
Some of them are on one piece of paper? Just brilliant.
i read somewhere that you can only fold a piece of paper in two 7 times, no matter how big the sheet. im sure it was 7 times. You know, fold it in 2, then 2 again etc.

Thank you!

The first one and the last two are the only ones that aren't made from a single sheet.

I'm not sure if it was 7 or 8, but its something like that. I've never tried it.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Wow, people are amazing and you are one of them.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Guess who finally has an Etsy storefront?

I got it up and running and just thought I'd share that I did. I'm still working on ideas and getting things listed, etc, but... YAY!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join