It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Hopelessly Addicted to Folding Paper

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

link?

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Dary, your paper art is amazing! In fact, you inspired Quin to start trying origami when she saw all of the pictures that I showed her of your creations. I just posted her roses on my FB and her first comment when she finished them was: "I hope Dary will like them!" I am so glad you shared the link with me for the instructions site. She has been lost in looking through it and checking out all of the different things she wants to try. So, a big thank you for inspiring Quin to try something new that she has discovered that she loves doing!

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Glencairn
Dary, your paper art is amazing! In fact, you inspired Quin to start trying origami when she saw all of the pictures that I showed her of your creations. I just posted her roses on my FB and her first comment when she finished them was: "I hope Dary will like them!" I am so glad you shared the link with me for the instructions site. She has been lost in looking through it and checking out all of the different things she wants to try. So, a big thank you for inspiring Quin to try something new that she has discovered that she loves doing!

Take care,
Cindi

Thank you, Cindi

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
These are beautiful!
Thanks for sharing them with us!
I'd also like to see a link to your storefront if you so choose.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Glencairn

I don't what happened but my comment didn't fully post? ATS ate it?

I wanted to say thank you and I love that your little one loves paper
She is really impressing me with the things she has made so far and it seems she is picking it up really quickly! Thanks for posting the pictures, I love seeing them. I'll keep an eye out for good Youtube channels and other sites because, she is going to need more than what the one I gave you offers pretty soon!

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   

She would love that! She was so excited again this morning with her newest flowers. The lotus flowers looked so cool and she colored parts of the paper on one of them so it would have contrasting sections. She was unhappy that she was running out of paper from her little starter kit and was telling her dad and me about the different colors she wanted if we let her get paper. So, we stopped at an office supply store and she found a couple of packs of copy paper that had multiple colors. After thinking it over like it was a life or death decision, she finally chose the pack with blues and green shades. She is now the proud owner of a ream of 500 sheets of copy paper that she wants me to help her cut into squares. Is this where I thank you for inspiring my kid to be an origami addict or is that after I do the paper cutting? I did mention that it was 500 sheets, right?

I actually do sincerely thank you. She is having SO much fun with trying out different designs and it makes me happy that she is enjoying it so much. If she hadn't wandered past the computer while I was looking at the pictures that you had posted of your amazing creations, she likely wouldn't have been quite so interested, but once she saw how incredible the designs could be, she was hooked and it was you sharing your art with us that prompted her to try something new. Just so you know, however, she is also insisting that I show you pictures of each and every design she accomplishes. You've acquired a teenager. Congrats.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   

im sorry to go off topic here, but Glencairn, your name. There is a waterfall named that here in Ireland. Im just wondering did you pick that name after it?

edit on 10/11/13 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   

I enjoy simple origami paper folding.. Some of the things you posted are like origami black belt.. star and flag..

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   

That is fantastic!!!

Fantastic!!!

Best addiction I have ever seen in my life!

Good on you!! Wish I could give you lots and lots of flags and stars.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

I cut my squares as needed because I use a lot of copy paper, too. One thing to try, is painting paper. Folk Art brand Extreme Glitter acrylic paint in the lightest color (a translucent sparkly whitish), looks great on almost any color of paper. Plus... it does something cool to the paper's texture. I use a sponge brush after I've cut my square or hexagon (that's important, cut it first) to apply it in a thin layer. It dries really quick, too. I can paint paper and start folding it within minutes.

If you have a hobby lobby in the area (or other big chain craft store) you may be able to find small packs of origami paper there for a few dollars. It's nice to have a variety.

Also, if you have a Dollar Tree in your area, once in a while they have 'Origami Play-sets' there for a dollar, it has 12 pieces of colorful paper with the crease pattern printed on it, and diagrams inside. My location carries a farm animal one and a flower one.

LOL to the acquiring a teenager... Let her know that I am happy to look at all the pictures you post of her accomplishments. She is really impressing me with how fast she is picking it up! The way you described her picking out the color sounds exactly like me in the store getting paper... Its a hard decision! Not sure why, but deciding is horrible.

Definitely keep the pictures coming! Tell her I said I love that she loves paper, too

Edit: If you can find it, there is an origami documentary that used to be on Netflix called "Between the Folds" (I think its on Youtube now) and she would LOVE it. I think you would enjoy it, too

edit on 10amSun, 10 Nov 2013 08:20:13 -060013SundaySunday1311 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

purplemer

I enjoy simple origami paper folding.. Some of the things you posted are like origami black belt.. star and flag..

Thank you very much

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Thurisaz

That is fantastic!!!

Fantastic!!!

Best addiction I have ever seen in my life!

Good on you!! Wish I could give you lots and lots of flags and stars.

Thank you

At least this addiction won't send me to rehab.

(I'm only going to paper rehab if they have paper there)

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

look if you ever run out of paper, then u2u me and I will buy you some and post it over !!

can't have you in paper rehab!!

have you ever used newspaper? now that would be a real sign of a serious addiction.

lol

you are so talented. My Daughter folds and makes little love hearts. I will show her your thread.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Thanks! I'll have to find that video. I don't have Netflix, but if it is on Youtube, I'll be all set, so I'll look for that with her when she gets done with her homework tomorrow.

I told her today about the paint suggestion and she loves it. I am at the various craft stores here regularly, so I'll find some on my next trip. She asked about how you got glitter paper so making it herself will be lots of fun for her, too. I did tell her that once we get the paint to cut the paper first and then paint. She can't wait to try and is interested in how the different texture will make the folding go.

We'll also be on the lookout for the little dollar store kits. She is immersing herself into this and wants to try everything. I saw how pretty your flowers turned out from the kit that you got and the colors that came with your pack were great.

I have no doubt that there will be more pictures to post soon. Quin has been plotting out more things to try and she generally starts off showing them to us with asking if I can take pictures to show you. I'm so glad that you're offering suggestions and advice. I think it is beautiful no matter what, but she wants a more unbiased and knowledgeable opinion and is thrilled that you are being so patient and helping with ideas and your opinion.

Take care,
Cindi
edit on 11/11/2013 by Glencairn because: spelling...I've yet to master spelling while tired.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I'm really impressed! These look ridiculously complicated to do but more importantly I can see why you do them - they're beautiful. You have a very unique skill.
Never met an origami master before.

Cheers,
ATA

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   

You can buy glitter paper, but painting the glitter paint on yourself? Is WAY more fun and the end product is nicer. I prefer the texture of doing it myself and store bought glitter paper doesn't fold as nicely. It is more prone to ripping for some reason.

Another fun thing to try would be using chalk pastels on white paper, and then painting it with glitter paint to seal it, or using watercolors, letting it dry, and the the glitter paint on top (she may have to press it under something heavy and flat because the paper may warp a bit due to the water).

Here is an example of chalk+paint:

I custom colored the paper specifically for the model.

I'm just happy that someone else might almost love paper and folding as much as I do

Love it!!!

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Asktheanimals
I'm really impressed! These look ridiculously complicated to do but more importantly I can see why you do them - they're beautiful. You have a very unique skill.
Never met an origami master before.

Cheers,
ATA

Thank you

I wouldn't say master... there are many folders out there that make things that make my projects look like a kindergartner made them! This is really only the tip of the iceberg.

I have many origami heroes.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Thurisaz

look if you ever run out of paper, then u2u me and I will buy you some and post it over !!

can't have you in paper rehab!!

have you ever used newspaper? now that would be a real sign of a serious addiction.

lol

you are so talented. My Daughter folds and makes little love hearts. I will show her your thread.

Newspaper is good for making boats and hats, but not good for much beyond that.

Thanks again! I hope she likes the pictures!

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   

oh yes, she will love this thread!!

I hope you got a huge applause for this... !!

thank you for sharing your skill ...

I will keep this one in my favourites!

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

I will keep this one in my favourites!

Do that because I will update it as I fold more stuff

Like this:

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join