It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twisting quotes and putting words in one mouth?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
A few times on ATS I have had people take quotes of mine and twist them by either takeing things our or adding things in and makeing assumptions. I also have had people put words so to say into my mouth and asign view points and ideas to me without me either saying anything.

Isnt this againt the T&C ? If not shouldnt it be ?

I get damed angery when someone does this and im sure others do.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Some people will do this intentionally.. Others will repeat their understanding of your words. And many times we are simply misunderstood.

Being completely and fully understood according to the intentions behind my words is something that I have had to work on with my writing. Using words which are clear and concise and using them in a manner where it wont be so easy to be misunderstood is a skill.

It took me years of writing, years and years... before I got better at that. And even still, I will write without properly proofreading and without giving what I just said proper consideration...

If you find yourself frequently misunderstood, try to take more time writing and give extra consideration to how you are wording your thoughts.. It helped me a lot!

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

This does my head in!

I fall victim to this all too often people who quote one line or take the quote in isolation to whatever/whoever I am responding to.

Right now there is a member on ATS who has a quote of mine in his signature that to anyone casually reading it, looks like i have directly threatened the member when nothing could be further from the truth.

I have had people quote me then say.... "ahhh on other words what you really mean is........"

The I have noticed a few members who do this, they are very sneaky and nasty, fortunately very much in the minority but there are members on this site who know how far the can push the T&C's not to get themselves into bother but they post some pretty harsh stuff.

OP, I totally agree with everything in you OP

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

O I know we all have miss understandings ect That’s not the problem.

It when people deliberately miss quote or attach labels. That when the annoyance comes in.

E.g. Yesterday I pointed out guns were a tool of violence though I pointed out in neutral on the gun debate if not partially sympathetic to the American right to bear arms yet I got called down for being anti-gun? And my post twisted to insinuate I wanted to grab guns.

In the past I have expressed sympathy for the unemployed and I have been called a number of left wings names and had all sorts of far left soclist stuff then attached to me.
And I have seen it happen to others.

To be honnest I will throw my hands up and admit I have done it too and at the end of the day I think it hurts discussions and damages the truth.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Sometimes its also because the reader, instead of reading the post fully, will skim. Its why on discussion forums it is usually best to keep posts short and sweet, while still full of meaning.

However, as you indicated, some people do this very deliberately. There is nothing that can be done about that though.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

crazyewok

It when people deliberately miss quote or attach labels. That when the annoyance comes in.

E.g. Yesterday I pointed out guns were a tool of violence though I pointed out in neutral on the gun debate if not partially sympathetic to the American right to bear arms yet I got called down for being anti-gun? And my post twisted to insinuate I wanted to grab guns.

Happens to me too. I fear there is nothing in the T&C preventing others to do that. The best advice is, be clear, and even if it seems obvious to you, it may not to others. Really clarify anything you say.

Often people wrongfully assume that I'm christian, since I'm actually neutral on that point (agnostic). So, when I'm in a religious debate, I take the time to specify that I'm not christian. Seems like a waste of time to me, but it's a necessary step in the debate.

edit on 30-10-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

crazyewok

In the past I have expressed sympathy for the unemployed and I have been called a number of left wings names and had all sorts of far left soclist stuff then attached to me.
And I have seen it happen to others.

To be honnest I will throw my hands up and admit I have done it too and at the end of the day I think it hurts discussions and damages the truth.

I agree with you, but this goes to show the divide and conquer strategy works. We are now a divided country and the "other" group is demonized to the point where it is no longer about facts but about "winning"

We will never win until we can talk about the solutions to the problems in this country, with open hearts and minds.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

OtherSideOfTheCoin

This does my head in!

I fall victim to this all too often people who quote one line or take the quote in isolation to whatever/whoever I am responding to.

Right now there is a member on ATS who has a quote of mine in his signature that to anyone casually reading it, looks like i have directly threatened the member when nothing could be further from the truth.

I have had people quote me then say.... "ahhh on other words what you really mean is........"

The I have noticed a few members who do this, they are very sneaky and nasty, fortunately very much in the minority but there are members on this site who know how far the can push the T&C's not to get themselves into bother but they post some pretty harsh stuff.

OP, I totally agree with everything in you OP

Exactly. This is the problem. Now people could possibly attribute this quote to you and hense develope a negative view regarding you based on a false or missleading quote.

At university and over walks off life distorting of quotes and view points are taken rather seriously.
Disscuss and exam yes but complety rewrite and distort no.

False quotes and distortation of ones views should be left to fox news and other MSM outlets

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

crazyewok

I get damed angery

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!! This is a rant, if you want to minimod..
edit on 30-10-2013 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

OpinionatedB

However, as you indicated, some people do this very deliberately. There is nothing that can be done about that though.

If it is done deliberately and maliciously then it should be a T&C violation.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Transparent and obvious debate tactics; meant to change the direction or intent of the discussion.

www.rightwingnews.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Even is someone is deliberately twisting your words/quotes, I would suggest you just reiterate your exact meaning and stick to your guns.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

yes but who is the judge of deliberate and malicious when it can also have other explanations? No one can really do that without seeing into the mind and heart of the person....

Is simply a fact of life, some people are just like that and it is something we have to live with and learn to deal with

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

starfoxxx

crazyewok

I get damed angery

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!! This is a rant, if you want to minimod..
edit on 30-10-2013 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

I thought about putting it in Rant but I think this is a issue when it is done deliberately and maliciously. And a T&C overview may need to made.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

OpinionatedB

yes but who is the judge of deliberate and malicious when it can also have other explanations?

I agree.

Though if such a misunderstanding has been pointed out yet the person does not retract ones position and continues to run with it then I think it becomes deliberate and malicious.

Like with Othersideofthecoin. The person running around with the missquote in his sig should have it removed.
edit on 30-10-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

There is one particular poster, he goes on about something, but when you directly question him about what he is saying, he refuses to even address or answer you.. but then later comes back with the same unsubstantiated BS.

My point is that If everything we did not like about others was in the T&C's we would be like the FBI and the NSA... Too many darn rules and no ability to just be ourselves without breaking some unknown rule...

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

C'mon Ewok, you're dealing with the general public here, what do you expect. The thing that really pisses me off is the polarization of arguments, if you are against the F.S.A. then you must love Assad, if you support the Palestinians then you must be a terrorist, if you question the holocaust then you must be a nazi.
This crap and the various shills and idiots here have been keeping me away from this site lately.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

abdel

C'mon Ewok, you're dealing with the general public here, what do you expect. The thing that really pisses me off is the polarization of arguments, if you are against the F.S.A. then you must love Assad, if you support the Palestinians then you must be a terrorist, if you question the holocaust then you must be a nazi.
This crap and the various shills and idiots here have been keeping me away from this site lately.

Yeah and this is why it hurt debates.

A good example is the holocaust one. It happend and millions of jews and other died there is no denying that, hell I would have been killed. But there are a few queations, like could some of the mass grave have been down to stalin ect. Yet start a post and the extremes set in and push the post into T&C violation zones.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

abdel

I have begun posting more as of late and noticed that this type of posting behaviour does reek of trolling, so I will most likely post less and less just to avoid these little annoyances. Unless someone can affirm that more than a few of the poster's here plagued with learning disabilities?
edit on 30-10-2013 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-10-2013 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Personally speaking, I really dislike the practice.

An example of sneaky misquoting would be if another poster changed it to read

by masqua
Personally speaking, I really like the practice

When you see something as blatant as that, put in a complaint on the post and link to the actual post of yours quoted, showing the sneaky misquote.

If I don't have to go hunting for the true quote, it'd make me happy enough to either change or remove the misquote. If it was bad enough, I might even go further.

edit on 30/10/13 by masqua because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join