It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do certain Pain Medications increase your Psychic Awareness/OBE's?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Hey guys!

On Wednesday of last week, I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out (3 came out with no problem, and one was partially bony impacted -- OUCH!).

Anyway, after my surgery, I was sitting on the couch with my friend while he played a video game.

I remember getting up off the couch and walking around my apartment, and I remember being surprised because I wasn't dizzy or in any pain.

At a certain point, I remember waking up, and the pain and general nauseous feeling came back. I told my friend about my experience, and he said I had been laying there the whole time.

This whole experience just seemed like an OBE.

Any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Lots of medications can certainly increase your illusion of a perception of increased psychic awareness, but, the only universe you'll wind up exploring is the one tattooed on the inside of your skull.

This is true of meditation, and all altered states. It's not intergalactic mind travel, but, inter-cranial subjective internal experiences.

Some medications will have a higher propensity for causing these OBE illusions.

edit on 10/28/2013 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Not the pain pills they would have given you to take home, but the anesthesia or nitrous oxide they give while they are taking the teeth out can definitely produce those effects. A similar thing happened to me after an outpatient surgery I had many years ago.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I get the feeling that anything which numbs the body would help ease the transition into an obe state; much like the old pagan practise of using a witch's cradle to numb the body and essentially obe. After all, one of the key points in having an obe (a planned one anyway) is to relax, let your body fall asleep then essentially trick yourself into being elsewhere, whether that's by letting yourself be risen up or perhaps by visualising being somewhere else entirely in the room and "snapping" to that location.

Personally I'm still not sure about the phenomenon as I have experienced it myself many many times and I still question whether it's part of the mind or something else entirely. I would love to undoubtedly believe it was my soul that was drifting about but my growing cynicism over the years just won't let me
One thing I can't explain is the feeling prior to an obe. That is probably the most bizarre thing about the experience.

Anyway I'm mumbling on, it sounds to me like you did have an obe
Also, congrats on having 4 of your wisdom teeth taken out at once, braver than I! It took all my courage to just get a filling last year!

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Thanks! You shouldn't worry. I didn't feel a thing...until the meds wore off! Lol.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Pain meds can cause the liver to slow and this can cause your mind to do strange things since you are not detoxing. They can also stimulate the body through various complex systems to release chemicals that cause pain relief and also can have some psychotropic side effects. As to whether they will cause psychic awareness, I can't tell you. I am sure the drugs aren't tested for psychic awareness
I read a lot of research on these things and I have never seen psychic awareness listed as a side effect. It Doesn't mean that they can't, it just means that the concept was not investigated. The question is whether psychic awareness is the same thing as visual and audio hallucinations.

A white clover flower can cause a release of chemistry to make us not feel pain if our body contains adequate amounts of the chemicals needed to do so. The pain is not felt at the brain level in this case and only effects the central nervous system I guess. It works good for me and another person who tried it but I suppose it doesn't work for everyone. It also mellowed me out.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I'm assuming you were either given Vicoden (Hydrocodone) or Percocet (oxycodone) in which case there could be a fairly mundane explanation for this.

Opiates can induce what is sometimes referred to as "nodding out" It's basically falling asleep, but not quite. You'll be sitting there on the couch, watching TV, then 5 minutes later or whatever you'll "come to" and realize you were passed out for the last few minutes. It's much quicker and comes on with less warning (for the inexperienced) than actual sleep does, so it's pretty easy to just drift off without noticing.

It's also pretty common to "dream" during this nod period, although once again it's not really like true dreaming or sleeping. It's more similar to when you wake up in the morning, then while still laying in bed sort of half-dream yourself getting out of bed, using the bathroom, making coffe, etc then you actually wake up and realize you are still in bed.

After I had surgery I was on pretty heavy doses of Oxycodone and I'd often find myself nodding out, having short, almost lucid dream like states, then waking back up. I'd be sitting there thinking about whatever, then things would start to seem a little strange, things would happen in impossible ways, then I'd realize I was dreaming, and think to myself "how can I be dreaming, i was just sitting on the couch a few minutes ago" after which I'd wake up and realized I nodded off.

This was the first thing that came to mind after reading your experience, as it seems to exactly match what people experience during an opiate nod. You can instantly slip into a near-dream state without warning, and personally my dream state would just continue from where I passed out, meaning there was almost a seamless transition from being awake to dreaming. It would be like sitting there one moment, the next moment you are in a dream state, but everything in the same. Then it takes a few minutes to realize you are continuing inside your own mind instead of in the real world, or you dont realize and wake up anyway, remembering very well the "dream" you just had. And being confused if it's something you aren't used to.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Yeah, that makes the most sense.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
As well...pain medication does not work on the afflicted body part directly...it works on the BRAINS recepters of that location.

KInd of like how does aspirin know where to go when one has a headache, backache etc? It goes to the brain receptors to block pain.

So that and the release of endorphins....restructures the brain and chemicals for a bit...

Not to worry!

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I'm prescribed 120 mgs of morphine sulfate daily.I think a little more potent then what your dentist gave you and no obes,hallucinations,hell I don't even get high!I think your just not used to pain meds.

edit on CDTMonpm1361 by TDawg61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite
Lots of medications can certainly increase your illusion of a perception of increased psychic awareness, but, the only universe you'll wind up exploring is the one tattooed on the inside of your skull.

This is true of meditation, and all altered states. It's not intergalactic mind travel, but, inter-cranial subjective internal experiences.

Some medications will have a higher propensity for causing these OBE illusions.

edit on 10/28/2013 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

"OBE illusions" ? I always find it fascinating when someone has the ego to state such things. I guess you solved the hard problem in your spare time ?
The centuries of philosophical debate of the origin of consciousness and soul can now all be dismissed. I guess Dr. Sam Parnia and the aware project can shut up shop, AliceBleachWhite has the answer.

edit on 28-10-2013 by CallYourBluff because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
In the 1980s my mother was going off some type of anti-depressant and rather than do as the doctor said and take smaller doses each day she quit all at once and went back to work as a teacher. That day she quit taking it she said she had an experience where she swears she was floating above her students and could see the tops of their heads. Her doctor said that wasn't a symptom that he had heard of before. I told her it sounded like an Out of Body Experience, but she didn't know what to think of it.

Anecdotal, but pretty much everything like this is.
edit on 28-10-2013 by Frith because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
IIRC, studies of some of the old GHB type drugs showed a greatly increased incidence of sleep paralysis.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Yes, but...Theta is great. Especially if its very soft, because those beats are annoying, nicer if soft and blended with rain and nature sounds. 4hz! Low Theta.

Also, nature, just being outdoors, and searching your heart, seeking, meditating.

Someone gave me some frankenscence and myrr, charcoal to burn it on. I was rather surprised, it seems to open pineal, didn't the myrr yet.
edit on 28-10-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Codeine is amazing at giving hallucinations. But medicine in general don't seem to help with anything paranormal except make you daydream things vividly.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by greenskin12

A lot of powerful prescribed pain medications are indeed opiates, that is why they are so addicting, also if you never had them before you will have a more stronger reaction to them that most people that have used them before.

The medications do not take away the pain they just work with your brain to make you think that pain is not there anymore.

One of the main side effects is nausea when you move, that is the one side effect that I hate the most and keeps me away from taking them.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Yeah, right after surgery, I was very nauseous and ended up vomiting...which was terrible because my bleeding still hadn't stopped, so it looked like I was vomiting blood.

Good thing I never have to do it again...

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CallYourBluff

Well there is no actual evidence that the mind leaves the body in an OBE so technically untill proven otherwise they are just illusions. Not to the experiencer though and insight can still come from such phenomena but anything happening outside the body is highly debatable.

top topics

join