It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads up UK: Devastating 100mph storm to bring 48 hours of ‘utter hell’

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Don't laugh off or shrug off the possible danger. 60+ mph winds will have you locked up in your home with trees coming down around you, some of them on homes.
edit on 27-10-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   

jonnywhite
Don't laugh off or shrug off the possible danger. 60+ mph winds will have you locked up in your home with trees coming down around you, some of them on homes.
edit on 27-10-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)
its a dud ,a nothing, a slight breeze if anything.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

US is just now starting to report on your weather. Stay safe!

I have to add something here in that the weather channel may have been off on this one but it is better to err on the side of caution and alertness than to let tragedy strike and not have given people the chance to make arrangements for their safety. Think of this as a test for future events and don't let the fact this fizzled out from the original projections, the potential it showed early on with a reason to become complacent for future warnings. It is not a case of Crying Wolf, but weather can never be an exact science in the future casts. Many of you simply dogged the proverbial bullet this time around.
edit on 27-10-2013 by antar because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

I'll swap places with you then....can't sleep due to the noise outside....worst winds we've had for a long time.

CX.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
for what it is worth,,,

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

About a bob bob.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I guess I live in a magic bubble that manages to keep storms away but cloud up as soon as there's anything cosmic to see (meteor showers and the like). I'm in Swansea and it's doing nothing but a light rain. Stayed up all night, hurray for being ill, and I haven't heard anything other than light rain...

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Max wind speed here (SE Worcestershire) was 8mph

But we did have the equivalent of almost half a month's rainfall overnight ......

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
The devastation here is about as devastating as the aftermath of the vicars tea party.

Nothing to see here,move along please.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
There were sticks on the road.

Call out the emergency services, shut all the roads, close the schools!

I havnt heard of so much chaos since we had that snowflake fall last year.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Went to cinema last night and it was very mild and raining when we came out - 10.30pm - and not much wind (except for inside the cinema and that was extreamly shortlived and due to sweets I suspect). The roads were very wet and glad to say everyone was driving much slower than normal because of all the water on the road.

Very windy earlier this morning, bending the trees over although now thats died away with the occasional blust. Was sunny but clouds coming over again - with more rain I expect.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Bit of let down that. No real devastation to report, quite a few leafs on the garden, otherwise a beautiful autumnal day.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Another dramatic picture of the devastation caused by the storm in the North-West of England.
We're lucky to still be alive this morning.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Pardon?

That looks really devastating.
Gotta love it when the media hypes up things like this for days, then it turns out to be nothing at all.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Whenever it comes to something like this i always say better to be safe than sorry.

This wasn't bad but has caused disruption and damage. Trees on train tracks and roads. News reporting that 200 plus thousand homes without power, flooding etc.

Where i am we had sustained winds of about 50mph and gusts of 80 odd as far as i'm aware. It rained solidly for around 8 hours so i would imagine there are areas of flooding that have caused some damage and is causing disruption.

It may have been over hyped but the UK is not the only Country that does this. From watching the news its seems all the relevant people are out in force trying to get things back to normal.

Just in from BBC - A 17 year old girl has died, a tree going through a static caravan. If this was your child you wouldn't be saying this was a load of tripe. My thoughts are with her family and friends.. I hope we don't hear of anymore fatalities as the day continues.

edit on 28-10-2013 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I think the death of a young girl who was crushed by a falling tree as she slept, 99mph wind at the needles Lighthouse, 15,000 without power and numerous flood warnings and other property damage is serious in itself.

As i mentioned on page one, it would be short lived and it would pretty much only affect the south coast and SE. This has proven to be true.

Those of you any more that 100 miles from the south coast wont have experienced the full force of the storm but please bear a thought for the family of the young lady that passed away.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Well not sure where that storm was. Outside for a smoke at 1030pm and it was as still as Id known it all weekend. Left pub about 12 still light wind but raining. Left my dads about 2am when it was absolutely lashing with rain ( got very wet on my walk home) but the wind was nothing spectacular. Guess the forecast was another case of ass covering. Im sure some people would have had it worse but typical of this country, this was hyped to be the worst storm for years, and in effect was a fairly normal autumnal night for Devon.

link   
This picture summarises perfectly why people in the North of England, Scotland & N. Ireland get upset with the London centric media ...

That was on the BBC site yesterday afternoon. There's the storm path. Severe winds to the south affecting all the media luvvies & the southerners (the only people they care about in your so called "United" Kingdom).

And in the North ? Who cares, basically. They don't care. The BBC don't care. The southerners don't care. The north is like some kind of foreign country which isn't even worthy of a weather forecast.

Even look at the angle of the map. It's like a satellite over the equator has taken that shot, deliberately to highlight how important the south is and how small & marginal everywhere else is.

Storms like these hit the north 2, 3 times a year. A storm with gusts over 40 miles greater than this hit Glasgow and Edinburgh on St. Stephen's Day (Boxing Day) 1998 and (I'm reliably told) got about 10 seconds on BBC News.

United Kingdom ? PAH !!

link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Yeah ok, so it caused some trees to fall etc and I'll bet there was slight damage in some areas.. It does suck 1 person died though, my condolences..

However, this type of thing is becoming more common from the media and I don't agree that it fits the "better safe than sorry" category lately. It's more like crying wolf IMO. People board up, take precautions then BAM, nothing. It makes people tired of hearing hyped up stories, so they don't prepare when the actual disasters happen. It's not just the UK that gets this type of reporting.

We had a couple high capacity rain storms in Colorado this past summer and one of them caused the flooding we all saw on T.V., except the weird thing is, while that storm was happening they didn't hype it at all. They hyped storms before and after that one to the point where roads closed etc. They evacuated a motor home park near where I am several times this summer and finally people just got tired of it and said enough is enough and moved away.

Point is, this over-reporting hype everything trend is not good for anyone except in actual life-threatening scenarios.
edit on 28-10-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Dumbass

Sorry to hear about the giant storm in England, but people should be aware that the political correct establishment and environment activists has during the last decade started a campaign to dramatize all weather reports. In my country for instance are ordinary mild storms which arrive every autumn consequently now referred to as extreme weather, and they now always adds that people should take extreme caution and keep indoors. Meanwhile there are always someone from mainstream media present to cover all the details (even a fallen tree) can be used. We never heard such kind of reporting before. It started at the same time the political correct establishment started to force this idea on everyone. It’s part of a bigger political agenda which goals are to scare ordinary and naive people into believing the earth is about to go under.

I strongly suggest the English should stay indoors, enjoy a couple of pints and look at a move and wayt it out , like we always have done.

edit on 28-10-2013 by helius because: (no reason given)

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join