It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awaken Video: Alien Abductions

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Heliocentric

draknoir2

Heliocentric

You're using classic debunking technique here. When you can't take the whole phenomenon apart, focus on a part of it, what you preceive as the weakest link, such as a specific case or a specific researcher, and insinuate doubts about data, method and competence. That said, I don't think your intentions were dishonest. Had you been a pure bred debunker, you would have then reasoned as if you had single-handedly debunked the whole UFO phenomenon...

And you are using the classic "true-believer" technique of employing labels and straw men in an overly defensive, knee-jerk response to a simple, honest opinion which doesn't happen to perfectly align with your own.

Try rereading my post without your preconceptions of what my intent was. Read the WHOLE post.

I'm sorry if I you felt I was jumping down your throat, that wasn't my intention. It is justified to be critical and even skeptical to something that flies in the face of your paradigm.

That said, I feel that a whole lot of people attack Hopkins based on assumptions and without really knowing the man or his work (not referring to you here). I was using your post to address them.

Me a classic true-believer? Ok, but a classic true believer after reading all of Hopkins' books, and all of those of David Jacobs, and those of Mack and those of their critics, and after visiting a large number of symposiums, conferences and lectures on the subject, watching documentaries, and knowing persons who claim to have been abducted. My approach of the subject is that of someone who has seen unexplicable things in the sky, who knows that the Universe is more than meets the eye, and I'll leave it at that.

As to my preconceptions on your part, if you feel like fleshing out your point of view and what your intention was I'm all ears.
edit on 27-10-2013 by Heliocentric because: liquid little stones skipping and skittering free on shared umbrellas

edit on 27-10-2013 by Heliocentric because: (no reason given)

No problem.

And the the true believer label was used for illustrative purposes only. Labels only hinder honest discussion as do your speculations of my actual or hypothetical intent ["had you been a pure bred debunker..."]. These are straw man arguments.

I was commenting on one specific video, the subject of which was specifically the research of one specific man through the use of one specific technique - hypnosis. I wasn't focusing on the "weakest link"... I was questioning the only link presented in the video. Neither was I attempting to "take the whole phenomenon apart", as I have mixed views on the topic.

And this is as someone who has experienced what you would call inexplicable things.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I believe most of these are just dreams...

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

I think using hypnosis to recover these 'memories' is really suspect. Nothing has shown that hypnosis improves memory recall. Also Budd Hopkins is in that video and I've seen video of him questioning people under hypnosis and he's asked so many leading questions it was silly. Also people do and will lie and confabulate under hypnosis either through direct leading questions or even pervceived undertones of a line of questioning.
Really dodgy way to recall. I think some have genuine experiences but I don't think it's anywhere near as widespread as this new religion of being an abductee claims that it is.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

mobtek

I think using hypnosis to recover these 'memories' is really suspect. Nothing has shown that hypnosis improves memory recall. Also Budd Hopkins is in that video and I've seen video of him questioning people under hypnosis and he's asked so many leading questions it was silly. Also people do and will lie and confabulate under hypnosis either through direct leading questions or even pervceived undertones of a line of questioning.
Really dodgy way to recall. I think some have genuine experiences but I don't think it's anywhere near as widespread as this new religion of being an abductee claims that it is.

I think it depends on the approach. I would have to trust someone before I did it for sure. For instance I was going to have it done with a well known therapist but they ignored my views and I felt they just wanted the money. So there is no way I am going to let them have control over my mind even if I could learn something valuable. It's a shame really. There are only a few who can help, and hardly any who are trust worthy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join