It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING! Very Bright long Meteor - CALIFORNIA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Atser From Cali please if you have a Cctv camera or dashcam ceck it out!

The Link include video, but i onl can watch it from Phone..i thing its big one, lasting so long..
lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com...

Initial Meteor Sighting Reports-
22OCT2013 david wentworth benicia, CA 20:00 PM usa pacific time less than a minute United States bright white, either very large or very close- greenish, but mainly bright white -no sound brighter than a firework one fragment noted it was big

22OCT2013 Brian O'Hara Lafayette, California, USA 8:00 PM PDT 15 East to West White Ball with Yellow/Orange Tail Brightest object in night sky Started creating a trail, near end I saw at least one large fragment split from main rock Bearing was south, saw it from behind the trees and was able to watch it go at 60 to 75 degrees from horizon.

22OCT2013 Sharon Stockton, CA, USA 19:56/PST, PM 3 N, L-R, N Blue fireball, yellow tail sun no large 22OCT2013 Jennifer Fairfield, CA 19:55:00 2 United States Yellow, Orange, and blue no sound other then dogs barking Brighter then the moon Unsure Way cool

22OCT2013 Joey Davis San Jose, CA 19:55 PST 3-4 seconds before it disappeared behind the trees East to West bright white and orange bright as the moon it seemed so it was as bright as the moon but not nearly as big. Probably half the size of the full moon in the sky. it was definitely flaming and it seemed like there was a trail behind it. It was also very low as it flew over me.

22OCT2013 Ethan Stanford, California, USA 7:54PM Pacific 5 seconds 8:00:00 blue moon yes at the end it could have been a firework it was so bright, but i think it was a meteor

edit on 23-10-2013 by cheesy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Thats a pretty cool website, thank u for link. I wonder how to become a meteor hunter?

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
S&F

Interesting how a frag witnessed!

One from a week ago:

Published on Oct 14, 2013
edit on 23-10-2013 by gardener because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Guys This is other video from 14 Octber..hope all the cam record it..

Please some budy help me..see from timelapse video here, i cant do it i use my Handphone
www.wunderground.com...
edit on 23-10-2013 by cheesy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

owhh haha you upload the same time as me..Tq Sir..Tq somuch

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Dancing lights in the shadows time passes on, lights touching the spinning masses of hatred, love, envy, and forgiveness. Gaia is kissing the stars and hugging the creator.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
cananyone Upload the video here from link source..it doesn't work anymore..

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Nice, at least someone saw something of the Orionids this year. It's not been a good week for viewing for me here in FL (hazy night sky, cloudy, moonlight drowning them out)

Bright moonlight will interfere with 2013 Orionid meteor shower

EarthSky’s meteor shower guide for 2013

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Well it seems that a small portion of the fireballs were Orionids but more than half of them were either sporadic or Southern Taurids.
Space Weather
On Oct. 22, 2013, the network reported 38 fireballs.
(22 sporadics, 12 Orionids, 4 southern Taurids)
www.spaceweather.com...

Orionids
Active from October 4th to November 14th 2013
The Orionids are a medium strength shower that sometimes reaches high strength activity. In a normal year the Orionids produce 20-25 shower members at maximum. In exceptional years, such as 2006-2009, the peak rates were on par with the Perseids (50-75 per hour). At this time we are unable to predict exactly when the Orionids will be exception

Radiant: 06:20 +15.5° - ZHR: - Velocity: 41 miles/sec (swift - 67km/sec) - Parent Object: 1P/Halley

Southern Taurids
Active from September 7th to November 19th 2013
The Southern Taurids are a long-lasting shower that reaches a barely noticeable maximum on October 9 or 10. The shower is active for more than two months but rarely produces more than five shower members per hour, even at maximum activity. The Taurids (both branches) are rich in fireballs and are often responsible for increased number of fireball reports from September through November.

Radiant: 02:08 +8.7° - ZHR: - Velocity: 17 miles/sec (slow - 28km/sec) - Parent Object: 2P/Encke

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

cheesy
cananyone Upload the video here from link source..it doesn't work anymore..

Hey cheesy - thanks for the post & link!

I had the same problem and finally figured out if you scroll down to the bottom of the page there is a link to view the web version of the vid and pics. That seems to work.

Hope that helps.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Here are some details on the sighting from CAMS

Meteor was first seen at 02:53:59.5 UT (19:53:59 local time)
Entered Earth atmosphere with speed 17.3 km/s
Trajectory came from the East.
Arrived from a direction Right Ascension = 26.5 degree, Declination = +11.2 degrees, near the star o Piscium.
First seen at 87.8 km altitude, at Lat = +37.636N, Long = 121.8092W.
Trajectory was shallow: inclined by 19.5 degrees with horizontal.
Was tracked by CAMS camera 213 down to 60.9 km at Lat = 37.6475N Long = 122.6466W.
The meteoroid penetrated well below that.
Meteoroid pre-atmospheric orbit had the following properties:
low-inclined orbit: inclination = 3.8 degrees
Short orbit: semi-major axis = 1.15 AU
Low perihelion distance = 0.653 AU

According to Jenniskens, based on these preliminary results this was not a member of the Taurid shower, but likely a rock of asteroidal origin. Sadly, any surviving meteorites would have landed in the Pacific Ocean.

I just found this site (link above) and it has details on a fireball report from January 17 2013. Very interesting that this fireball was witnessed by 107 people and their analysis of it is that it was a SMALL COMET from the Oort cloud travelling in to the sun when earth got in its way, it was approx 1 metre in size and travelling at entry speed of 72 +/- 6 km/s (= 45 miles/s, or 160 thousand miles per hour) Imagine if it had been a little bigger...

The meteoroid originated from the Oort cloud and approached Earth on a shallow 19 +/- 7 degrees inclined orbit, moving in opposite direction around the Sun. On Thursday morning, while approaching it's nearest point to the Sun at 0.98 +/- 0.03 Astronomical Units, it found Earth in its way. It approached from the direction of the constellation Virgo, and collided head-on with the Earth at a location just north of Yosemite National Park, entering Earth's atmosphere at the fastest possible entry speed of 72 +/- 6 km/s (= 45 miles/s, or 160 thousand miles per hour). Moving towards Lake Tahoe, the small comet then penetrated to lower elevations where it fully disrupted in the atmosphere.

new topics

top topics

join