It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First interactive map of galaxy's habitable planets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

You might have wondered, looking up at the night sky, how many other beings are out there looking back at us. Help is at hand. Using data from NASA's Kepler Space Telescope, New Scientist has made an interactive map illustrating the stars that we might expect to host roughly Earth-sized, potentially habitable planets.
Click Here to see
The grid of squares above represents the patch of sky that Kepler stared at for nearly four years. So far, the space telescope – nicknamed the Planet Hunter – has confirmed the existence of 151 exoplanets and identified more than 3500 strong candidates.

Now, using what we know from Kepler, and simulations from its data by Courtney Dressing and David Charbonneau of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Massachusetts, New Scientist has estimated and mapped the density of habitable worlds across the whole sky. Given that the Milky Way is thought to contain between 100 and 200 billion stars, our best estimate of the total number of such planets in our galaxy is 15 to 30 billion.

Earths galore

After extrapolating for all the missing worlds, Kepler's field of view becomes dense with planets that may be like Earth.

Now consider this: Kepler observed just 0.28 per cent of the sky. And the telescope was able to peer out to only 3000 light years away, studying less than 5 per cent of the stars in its field of view. So how many Earths might really be out there?

New Scientist

Something cool and new every day from Kepler. Click on the link then scroll down the page. All the green dots will be planets they think can support life as we know it.
edit on 20-10-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

15 to 30 billion sounds like allot but based on our limited knowledge I would not be surprised if those numbers fall way short of what is actually there.. Sentient beings on worlds far away...? Without proof my gut says there are.. But the age old question of how many, where, and do they drink coffee remains unanswered?

edit on 20-10-2013 by 727Sky because: ...

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

It could also go the opposite and wind up being many many more.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Hummm I thought that was what I implied....?

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

That is mind-blowing and amazing.

I am so glad you shared this! It inspires the imagination and gets the gears going.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

errr......my bad. I misread. Hurp a durp.

Ahem... I concur with your post.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Yes!!!

Direct link to interactive map of potentially habitable planets.

Star. Check. Flag. Check. Lots of planets. Check.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Made my hair stand on end and gave me a shiver - but in the good way

Beautiful

I don't think we're alone...

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

727Sky

15 to 30 billion sounds like allot but based on our limited knowledge I would not be surprised if those numbers fall way short of what is actually there.. Sentient beings on worlds far away...? Without proof my gut says there are.. But the age old question of how many, where, and do they drink coffee remains unanswered?

edit on 20-10-2013 by 727Sky because: ...

Ah yes. If only Kepler could go on for another hundred years and TOTALLY map the sky. I have to agree with you, I hope they will indulge in a Sumatra blend coffee with us.

new topics

top topics

join