It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lunar eclipse, meteor shower treat Canadians/Americans this weekend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Two cosmic events, a penumbral lunar eclipse tonight and a meteor shower on Sunday, may make it worth your while this weekend to cast a glance at the night sky.

Starting just before 8 p.m. ET Friday, the bottom half of the full moon will be darkened by the Earth's shadow during the penumbral lunar eclipse.

The Earth's shadow has two distinct regions: A very dark, central region called the umbra, and a diffuse outer region called the penumbra.

The penumbra will cause the moon to get dimmer Friday night until about two-thirds of the moon is cloaked in shadow at 8:50 p.m. People in Eastern Canada will be able to see the entire event, but it will be well underway at moonrise for those in Central and Western Canada. This penumbral eclipse will be subtle but still noticeable to anyone who stops to take a look.

www.cbc.ca...

Just a heads up for all you star gazers this weekend... said eclipse should be visible sometime within the hour...

and it should be visible to a good portion of eastern USA as well...

The full moon might prevent us from seeing a lot of the incoming meteors, but one might be able to catch a few of them if we're lucky

Lets hope we get a good show eh

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

JEEZE LOUISE!!! I SWEAR! Every. Single. Time. Cloudy here. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh everyone enjoy it for me, I'm cursed!

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
thanks. i can see the full moon in my small part of the midwest, but as usual when things like this happen..... CLOUDS!

hope to get to see it.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Why always Us or Canada have this Greatful? why not Indonesia..

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I'm actually at the most eastern point as you can be in North America since I'm from Quebec.

But for mysterious reasons, everytime an event like this happens, the sky is full of angry raining clouds.

Curse or blessing? Maybe looking at this lunar eclipse will cause major diseases?

Haha, just kiddin'

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Well he got a few the other day

www.facebook.com...

www.facebook.com...

He has a few vid also

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
came back to tell ya.... nice big beutiful moon, waited to eclipse, was getting close to time.... fingers crossed , still brightly lit moon, hopes were high.... final count down , still moon visible and minutes to go... this was my chance!..... aannnnddd...... CLOUDS!!! EFFING CLOUDS!!! Everywhere!!!

when it was over.... wouldn't you know it?...... sky cleared up???

WTF! god hates me.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

You and me both.

Up here in the fall its gets cloudy all the time...

-SAP-

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by St0rD

OMG somebody removed the maritime Provinces and most of the US Eastern Sea-board.

To the best of my knowledge, Quebec only has sea coast on James and Hudson Bays.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I know this is going to sound weird, but I finally actually had very clear skies to view this and we didnt see a thing as far as the eclipse goes. I am in Rhode Island so I thought we should be able to see some part of it, but not a thing. I was all excited about it too since I have been clouded out in the past. Looking forward to tonights moon as it will be in its fullest. It was gorgeous last night so Im expecting it to be pretty awesome tonight as well. Even though my friends and I didnt get to see the eclipse last night we at least had a good time waiting for it

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Onehuman, I am in RI as well. I wasn't sure what time the eclipse was supposed to be, so when my husband and I saw nothing but a bright, full moon on our way home from dinner and a movie, I figured we had missed it while we were indoors. Turns out we were driving home right at the predicted time of the eclipse, but we too saw nothing. Strange. It was a gorgeous moon and a beautiful night, though!
edit on 10/19/2013 by katydidwonder because: typo

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

katydidwonder

Onehuman, I am in RI as well. I wasn't sure what time the eclipse was supposed to be, so when my husband and I saw nothing but a bright, full moon on our way home from dinner and a movie, I figured we had missed it while we were indoors. Turns out we were driving home right at the predicted time of the eclipse, but we too saw nothing. Strange. It was a gorgeous moon and a beautiful night, though!

Thank you so much for posting that reply. Around here, sometimes it makes one feel better to get clarification when you are sounding a little out there otherwise! My friends that were here that night always tease me about being a member of this site, so they werent going to be of any help. Im one of those "conspiracy nuts" according to them.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

katydidwonder

it was a Penumbral eclipse, so you would only see a slight shadow on the moon...

Don't forget about the meteor shower late tonight

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Thanks for letting us all know, it's usually always cloudy here too, but it cleared up today! Maybe we will get lucky tonight. I was bummed about the eclipse though, it actually happened before the sun even set here.

new topics

top topics

join