It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Journey into Freemasonry

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Riffrafter

No felons. I have parking and speeding tickets, but that didn't disqualify me.
edit on 4-11-2013 by KSigMason because: I'm smashed

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by KSigMason

A small amount of discretion is okay. We have a Brother who has a record for driving under the influence of alcohol in his youth.

But we would never admit someone who has a record for theft, for example, no matter how long ago.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

I have two minor Possession charges. How do you think they would fair on this ?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Sacri

Depends on the interviewing committee...

Something like previous possession charges wouldn't be a problem for me, but it might be for some of the older folk (maybe).

But in my opinion, if your interviewing committee were convinced that your intentions for joining were correct, I think they'd still recommend to the Lodge that they accept you.

I certainly wouldn't recommend blackballing a promising candidate to my Lodge because of a possession charge.
edit on 4/11/2013 by Saurus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to start seriously considering this now, knowing that I might have a chance

Namaste
~sacri~

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Sacri

If I were you, I would go to the lodge you want to join and flat out ask the question. Be honest about the past and also about why you want to be a mason. It's hard to condemn someone for doing something that is fringing on legal IMHO. But as was said, the older generation may not see it the same. That's why it's important that you ask. It may be best to wait a few years for the membership to change a bit, or it may be right at this time.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

network dude
reply to post by Sacri

If I were you, I would go to the lodge you want to join and flat out ask the question. Be honest about the past and also about why you want to be a mason. It's hard to condemn someone for doing something that is fringing on legal IMHO. But as was said, the older generation may not see it the same. That's why it's important that you ask. It may be best to wait a few years for the membership to change a bit, or it may be right at this time.

I did send an email to my local lodge around the start of this year. I received an email back saying that I was welcome to come have a chat at any stage. I had to postpone it mainly due to my work (in the mines 6 weeks away and 2 at home). Next year I will be seeking work locally. So I think then would a perfect time.

I believe I would benefit greatly from it, being still fairly young (only 26) it's hard to find people my age, who like to participate in stimulating, and challenging conversations. So I am more drawn too people older than me who like to discuss topics such as history, quantum levels of mechanics, and physics.

Will be giving this a great deal of thought, the OPs word reached into me, his experience though mine may not be the same, is the type of thing I am searching for.

Namaste
~sacri~

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Sacri

network dude
reply to post by Sacri

I did send an email to my local lodge around the start of this year. I received an email back saying that I was welcome to come have a chat at any stage.

ND's advice is sound. Be forthright about it as nobody would be served by 'forgetting' to mention it. Also, because it's going to be expunged soon enough, I would think that would also serve to mitigate it in the eyes of the lodge (though that's just based on personal expectation; YMMV).

Sacri
I had to postpone it mainly due to my work (in the mines 6 weeks away and 2 at home). Next year I will be seeking work locally. So I think then would a perfect time.

This goes to something that new Masons have pointed out to them. Three things come before lodge: work, family and faith. You need to be giving these three pillars their just due otherwise everything else riding on that balance will surely crumble.

Sacri
I believe I would benefit greatly from it, being still fairly young (only 26)

"fairly young"? I oughta drive down there and smack ya one!

Fairly young! (mutter mutter mutter mutter)

Sacri
it's hard to find people my age, who like to participate in stimulating, and challenging conversations. So I am more drawn too people older than me who like to discuss topics such as history, quantum levels of mechanics, and physics.

And you may find that it's equally difficult to find it in lodge. Being a Mason isn't in and of itself a guarantee of deeper philosophic interest. That said, if you do become a Mason, don't presume to know what vector such conversation is likely to come from. I know well-off Masons who're likeably vacuous and blue collar ones that can (and do) expound upon philosophy and deeper investigation into Masonic topics. This is why we meet "on the level", that is to say we are equal in lodge regardless of our station in the world. To my mind, this is one of the core strengths of Masonry and a notion that society tends to overlook IRL.

Sacri
Will be giving this a great deal of thought, the OPs word reached into me, his experience though mine may not be the same, is the type of thing I am searching for.

Namaste
~sacri~

Good luck on your searches.

Fitz

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Thanks for the reply and for the additional info provided by some of the other posters who are also knowledgeable about this.

I have a decent amount of knowledge for a non-initiate but it's always helpful to learn more if one is to get a level understanding of a matter.

Ummm...no Masonic pun intended above (just noticed it)...

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
If I may reply to this in modest way.

Let me tell you up front that I don't know or am I not in some sort of lodge or anything else. But I have thought about these things for a long time. I had all the kind of thoughts, from neutral to positive to negative and i would like to share them and see what you think about it.

First of all if there's an agenda and they move to secret society's it won't be obvious within the structure of the society that there's someone higher pulling strings. The philosophy and the friendliness of the people in the society don't have anything to do with purpose of the society. You can't know and probably will never know, even if you reach the highest level it can still be a way to inspect you, so you may think you go higher up the ladder but maybe you go on the outside of the pyramid, thinking your inside. If i wanted to plan something or keep something hidden and only to open to them whom I trust with my life, I would hide it very well and only intrust it to the one's who passed all the tests.

Of course the people in the society are decent and nice people and have nothing to do with evil doing (or maybe some of them do? How can you know anyway). There are probably some society's who have a lot of positive effects and other who are more there for the spread of political thoughts and idealism. You can't deny that most petitions are Freemasons. And even thou they say "we don't discuss politics, it's a gentlemen club" there have been a lot of occasions where there was a lot more going on. Like if your the head of a construction company and your connected to a lodge to a politicians it can be very beneficial, but is this moral just? Because if you look at it this way, the best connections are in these lodges and most people aren't in it. So from this kind of view it support's a globalized world where power get's centralized. I'm also pretty sure that most high level politicians say something and think something totally different.

I also think there's a lot of differences between lodges, I don't think lodges in a small city are structured the same or have the same intellectual value/influential people then to lodges of say Harvard. It's also worth to notice that if most high class graduated people (the most intellectual) get asked to join a lodge, that also the most intelligent people are connected thru this system and fund the bigger guys (intellectual) and the students get funded by the bigger guy's which means it's stuck in a circle. And also most students would be happy to join because of the snobbish attitudes in most of the university's (i actually sounds like a preparation).

I'm just saying it's worth thinking about, there's now way anybody can know for sure then those closed to it.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by merkabas

Is it possible that men who meet privately trade secrets and favors? Yes. But why just focus on masonry? Men at church, men at a company dinner, men playing racquetball. Anywhere two or more men can meet without interruption, the fears you have could come true. The difference with masonry is that the men who meet previously took an obligation to NOT do those sorts of things. Sure we help a brother if we can. But there is a key word in our obligations that clarifies that. Worthy. A worthy brother master mason.

So I would separate masonry from the other groups, but only that they would be less likely to do anything nefarious than the others.

And, if you truly comprehend the structure of masonry, there is no top tier, or higher ups. Only in the minds of the uninformed. It's not physically possible.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Well, maybe your uninformed, how can you know. Maybe their testing you, or maybe they keep you on that level because your not the material their looking for. I'm not saying it IS this way, I'm just saying their is no possible way of knowing. There are some more or less facts about high end politician being Freemasons. Do you think, like your fellow Masons that politics is in his right place? Do you think that people who make more money in one day and can actually change humanity but just use it to get more power (their not doing it out of security) is justifiable. If there is love going on and their working towards this love why are these politicians, fellow masons promoting the different side? Their obviously something wrong with these people, and are not pressing a peaceful agenda. Politicians are not supposed to agree on political points in the lodge (something the rule say's) but there have been a lot of occasions this was not the norm and there are probably more unknown ones. This is more then giving your fellow man a hand, it's changing politics and changing the law for personal success.

I know your probably not connected with these people but the lodges are connected. Maybe your lodge is a place of respect and intellectual stimulation, and it would be nice to have a group of this kind. But still you must ask these questions yourself. I'm also not implying these society's are "Evil", it all depends who's ruling and who's pushing. It's like putting camera's everywhere it could be a good thing if the man behind the camera works in service of the people, he can say he does, it can even look as he does, but behind closed doors nobody really knows what he is doing...

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
We have a pretty nice lodge here in my town. I've often wondered what it would be like to join. I've checked their website and it's pretty open and honest, they even have pictures of a lot of their members. Personally, at 30 I think I'd be a little young -- but I love learning life lessons and wisdom from those older than myself.

There's something to be said about groups of guys sharing experiences. I'll never forget the guys in my scout troop who all made Eagle with me. I haven't seen some of them in years, but if we were to meet up I'm sure it would be as if a blink of an eye had passed.

My problem is the religious aspect of Freemasonry. I'm not particularly religious. I suppose I lean more to the "deist" side than "atheist". I've had some experiences that prove in some form of "higher" power -- but the realization everything around me was "God". I'm not sure how they'd like my spiritual viewpoint.

I think some of the things I would get out of it would be new friends, social networking (finding out about new potential career ideas), charity, and the awesome dinners I hear they have. I love to cook, so they could put me to work right away!

In all honesty, however, I probably ought to go back to my old scout troop and give back what was given to me. That's one thing all us Eagles are supposed to do -- give back to the organization when you can. Lately with all the homosexual BSA stuff going on -- I'm not really sure how I feel. We had gay or "gay curious" kids in my troop, and I'd feel horrible if back then they were kicked out and not allowed the awesome camping and adventures we had.

My uncle was a 32nd degree Mason before he died and I never knew it until we had to go through his things after he passed.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Where do you come up with this stuff? There is a way of knowing, it's called first hand experience.

There are some more or less facts about high end politician being Freemasons.

And who are these high end politician Masons? I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you're going to make statements like this, can you at least back it up?

I don't get why people try to tie political corruption and nepotism to Freemasonry, as if it was something unique to us because of our "secrecy" when in fact networking, nepotism, and so on can happen anywhere between anyone and any group.

It's like putting camera's everywhere it could be a good thing if the man behind the camera works in service of the people, he can say he does, it can even look as he does, but behind closed doors nobody really knows what he is doing.

Enter fascism and tyranny.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
My problem is the religious aspect of Freemasonry. I'm not particularly religious. I suppose I lean more to the "deist" side than "atheist". I've had some experiences that prove in some form of "higher" power -- but the realization everything around me was "God". I'm not sure how they'd like my spiritual viewpoint.

That wouldn't be an issue. You have to believe in a Supreme Being but doesn't delve into the particulars of your belief structure. This is also how it is that Masons form a wide cross-section of faiths can work together without stepping on religious toes. Every Mason takes away from it universal lessons that are applied within his own beliefs

MystikMushroom
I think some of the things I would get out of it would be new friends, social networking (finding out about new potential career ideas), charity, and the awesome dinners I hear they have. I love to cook, so they could put me to work right away!

Apply as Junior Warden PDQ!

Fitz

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Since you like to cook, I think you might feel right at home in Eastern NC. I know of a lodge.......

While I could go on trying to court you into masonry, you sound like your heart is with scouting and that's a fantastic organization. (it's no more religious than masonry, about the same actually) You do sound like you'd be a good fit. Go with the heart.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I understand how an outsider just doesn't understand the structure. And I suppose those not meant to know should be like that and keep a distance. After all, why believe some random guy on a conspiracy chat board.
If you ever get curious, look into how many politicians are actually masons. Since we hold ourselves to a higher standard, the numbers are very, very few.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   

MystikMushroom
I'm not particularly religious.

Neither am I.

I've had some experiences that prove in some form of "higher" power -- but the realization everything around me was "God". I'm not sure how they'd like my spiritual viewpoint.

Which is similar to my views. I am a Past Master of my lodge and currently serving as part of the Grand Lodge so my views are obviously, to those that know them, acceptable.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

MystikMushroom

All that matters is your answer to a 'Yes' or 'No' question: "Do you believe in a Supreme Being?"

If 'yes', you pass the test and will not be questioned further about your religious viewpoints. If 'no' (or maybe), you will not be admitted.

The details of your beliefs are not important, only that you believe in a Supreme Being.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Your not, that's why i'm here, to talk.

Well I'm from Belgium and there's was a problem with a lot of judges who decided not to let a political party get forward (vlaams belang, which isent a good party and it's also a good thing to do this, but it bends the law). Also there are two prominent politician here that are Freemasons and even share a lodge, Bart de Wever and Elio Di rupo, they even admitted it in public newspaper. There where also some academics coming out that there was to much of a decadent atmosphere especially towards the Islam (Jan Blommaert) (this kind of behavior I know very well, and you can't argue this, it's a mind block, but okay this is off topic). Also it's a fact that high academics who graduate from high school get a letter to join, i know some. Which is also the case with skull and bones (or is that also a conspiracy?, I don't like this word because everything after you get this name throw at you is just something a lunie says).

I also know a guy ho was in a lodge and had a hard time getting rid of these people (which name I don't have to say obviously). But I also know a guy who I like a lot and he's a high end mason (don't know won't tell me).

As I sad there are probably lodges (probably a lot) with a good code of ethics and which actually look for the good things, spiritual and intellectual development, support... But I look at some people from who I know who are Freemasons and are real bastards only after power. People who will do anything to get higher, they don't need the money anymore and they get in to this. It only takes a couple of them (and they can act) to get more support, for them it's a game. And i know these kind of people personally.

You can say that I don't understand the structure (do you even understand it?). I mean, do you understand human psychology, or human motives. Do you know what people think and what they want? Are you sure there not using you? I'm not saying they are, maybe not with you. But i can for sure say that i know people who are smart and who joined only for more power or to get there company higher. And in my eyes it only get's worse the higher you go. The same with politics, you get in, you follow the code of the party, you higher, you get favors, you give favors. Until one day you ow people and the code changes, you don't like it anymore, you have other opinions. But the overall consensus does not understand you. You try to get out but you cant let go of the life you made for yourself and exists because you took this road. So you become corrupt to yourself and the rest, in support of something you don't believe in.

Well, I'm just looking in to possibilities, and you can't deny that this scenario is possible?
edit on 6-11-2013 by merkabas because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join