It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shutdown: The best thing that could have happened??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Most would agree the system/the people running the system aren't/isn't getting the job done. No shortage of blame and accusations.

Yet, without this "shutdown", it would be business as usual. Read that continuing on the same road we have been travelling for too long.

Perhaps this is the beginning of real change and therefore even hope.

No matter where this goes or how bad it gets, I'm convinced it would have been even worse later than now.

Of course, people and groups will be or are being hurt. The momentum of gov't with it's vested interests in maintaining the system is controlling us instead of the other way around.

The sooner we do something about it, the better.

No one knows where it all ends- dire predictions will be forthcoming from posters-but perhaps the result will be a much better situation than we have now and we look back at these days and are glad they happened!!

I, for one, am done with "business as usual" and let this go where it may. I'd rather take a chance on it working out in the long run than just sitting back and let this get worse.

Now where are the new "founding fathers"? We sorely need an upgrade....

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Using the same logic, would it be beneficial to simply nuke D.C.?

I suppose you might be an anarchist so while you may have defensible points about USG dysfunction, why should anyone listen to you regarding the implementation of anything that resembles a workable solution?

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
No

I wouldn't consider something that will affect the majority of the country in a bad way, the "best" thing that ever happened.

Like it or not, there are millions of people that depend on Government assistance, whether it's food stamps, medicaid, SS checks, Housing assistance etc. To pull the plug all of a sudden would send the entire world in to dire straits not just the U.S.

I think the best outcome we can hope for is that we elect a Government that can actually function properly to get this debt under control, so we don't have to be threatened with "debt ceilings" and "shutdowns" any more.

I know many people are hoping that they can get the chance to live out their survivalist fantasy, but in reality if the entire world economy crashed everyone would suffer.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
We need it to crash and burn.

Anything else is just delaying the inevitable. The time for solutions was back in the early 1950's.... we are a bit past that.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

People have been hoping the elected officials will work out this crap for years. Try again.

The corruptness is the problem. They are all, (both parties) bought and paid for by the highest bidder. Until that is stopped. We can kiss our way of life goodbye.
edit on 16-10-2013 by Skorpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by nwtrucker

Yea, right.

I guess I can agree with you on this one.
I have all my bills paid up. No car payments or mortage.
I have my money, cash that is, hidden and a bunch of it.
I have some gold and silver, which I got from scrap computers and such.

Why should I care when the interest rates go up to @35% and bread is $10 per loaf.
I've got a good size garden spot to raise my own food and game in the forest for hunting.
The social security checks come in handy but I can get by without them.

Bring it down! Bring it ALL down!!!

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

I don't think I'm qualified to come up with a workable solution.

Empirically, I am aware that 10 years from now there'd be more than the millions you quote "dependent' on gov't. therefore WORSE in affecting a solution- whatever that may be.

That's my point, really. Sooner hurts less than later. Surely you can see that!!

Besides nukes leave the ground useless.....Hmm. perhaps a Neutron Bomb....

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Most would agree the system/the people running the system aren't/isn't getting the job done.

"Things" aren't shutdown. The "system" is and always will be (insert choir music).

Those yokels in that marble city on the Hill would like you to think they run things but they don't. Imagine how much effort they put into convincing you that they do? When they stop collecting garbage, burying bodies and putting out fires, let me know.

The people run things. We are the system. Without us, the real gears would grind to a halt. All they do is collect your money and misuse it. Then they pass laws and take more (louder choir music).

Turn off the news and poof, the government disappears in a puff of pixels. Pay no heed, ignore them, refuse to support them, go about your business really running the country.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Maybe I didn't make this clear, I'm not some rocket scientist.

It might all come down or it might not! Perhaps it gets real close to coming down, so close that even the idiots recognize the fact. Necessity levels soar to new heights and somehow, someway we fix it.

One person, a number of years ago told me to cheer up, we survived the cold-war!!

He was right, in the day, no one could see an "out". It seemed almost inevitable that someone was gonna screw up and away we go.

IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! Divine intervention? Just luck? Who knows?

Perhaps, just perhaps, we can pull it off again.

Fear of the worst scenarios are, perhaps, the biggest barriers to taking a chance... to risk real change.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Well said! I think that's what most of us do to some degree or another.

We do run the country...trouble is ignore those twits and we get back-stabbed. We've ignored them for too long.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Heh, do you seriously think this will actually end up changing anything? Here I'm going to lay down to you the events of what is going to happen to today and afterwards. At some point today, the GOP will cave to the Democrats and raise the debt limit. This may or may not reopen the government. If it does reopen, things will be back to "business as usual" within a week. The public will have forgotten all about this nonsense and go back to their lives and not paying attention to the government until we go through this song and dance again. If it remains closed, the people may keep this in their limited attention span for as long as the government remains closed. Then once reopened, see my previous sentences.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Edit: Sorry, replied to wrong post. New site look is still confusing, derp.
edit on 16-10-2013 by intrptr because: delete comment

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

You may very well be right. I lean to that view myself.

But, on the other hand, never has more people had more information via the web, etc. about what's going on. Then there's the up-coming mid-terms. More are at least looking at the issues than ever before.

I went to my bar for Monday night football and there was as much political discussion as football talk!! (an older crowd,LOL)

At a state level, many have turned their economies around using sounder business/economic decisions.

I still hold a slim hope of change. This could be the start of that process....maybe.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
In any event, this thread was to throw this thought out there and see if there was any validity to it.

So don't have any kittens, it's just an idea.

I'm off to work, so I will apologize/counter the put-downs later....

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
It can be used as something positive "if" people are motivated to move out of their dependence, and "if" the government change their tactics. If this means more Capitol Hill chaos it would at least be a positive chaos. It won't happen in time IMO.

One poster is right - it leaves consciousness once it is no longer salient in the atmosphere so people will forget (sadly). If they forget the government will follow suit.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

nwtrucker
Most would agree the system/the people running the system aren't/isn't getting the job done. No shortage of blame and accusations.

Yet, without this "shutdown", it would be business as usual. Read that continuing on the same road we have been travelling for too long.

Perhaps this is the beginning of real change and therefore even hope.

No matter where this goes or how bad it gets, I'm convinced it would have been even worse later than now.

Of course, people and groups will be or are being hurt. The momentum of gov't with it's vested interests in maintaining the system is controlling us instead of the other way around.

The sooner we do something about it, the better.

Whole-Heartedly agree.

Better that those eager to inflict economic crisis on innocent American families and subvert democracy be seen for their true colors.

Best case scenario? The sane GOP take back their party and we return to rational discourse about what is best for this country. Jobs...Economic growth.

Worst Case scenario...the GOP in it's entirety implodes and the Democrats take total power...which is only marginally better than the GOP having total power.

I would say that the even worse case scenario would be the TP seizing more power...but that is over, done. The GOP holding a majority in the House come 2014 was a certainty only a couple of months ago...Now? They will be fortunate to hold onto the House ..it's a long shot.

Americans...from Liberals to Moderate Conservatives to Conservative backers like the Chamber of Commerce etc. have all abandoned the TP and for good reason. They are nuts.
edit on 16-10-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

butcherguy

Please feel free to do just that. But neither you nor the minority TP extremists are entitled to demand the entirety of America join you in your apocalyptic fantasy. Plenty of backwoods left in the USA where folks can make good use of their end-of-times stockpiles they have been so eagerly amassing, leave the rest of us out of it.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Love when people refer to Social Security as government relief and such. The Social Security fund OWNS one of the largest portions of government debt - several times over what China and Japan combined own of it. My employers and myself paid into that for decades and I expect to receive checks in a couple years. Default on that and WE OWN this country, so I expect to get a little respect when the "authorities" come around making demands and acting like bad-asses. Sure, don't pay me, but then leave my butt alone and don't bother me anymore.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Indigo5

butcherguy

Please feel free to do just that. But neither you nor the minority TP extremists are entitled to demand the entirety of America join you in your apocalyptic fantasy. Plenty of backwoods left in the USA where folks can make good use of their end-of-times stockpiles they have been so eagerly amassing, leave the rest of us out of it.

Simply my opinion.
I was speaking metaphorically (reboot the country with a revamped system), so your reference to backwoods and apocalypse 'fantasy' does not apply.

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

butcherguy
I was speaking metaphorically (reboot the country with a revamped system), so your reference to backwoods and apocalypse 'fantasy' does not apply.

Still sounds like a person with nothing vested, so nothing to lose. I call it the gaming mentality, you just get into the game and don't like the situation so you want to reroll/reset the game. Kind of sucks for those that have a life time already vested though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join