It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California just outlawed lead ammo!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
i wonder if these same supporters would vote to ban fluoride? since that too is such a terrible toxin. what about BPA? where is all the hooplah in CA to ban that?

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
As others have stated, this doesn't ban the sale of ammo that contains lead, only the use of it for hunting.

In Arizona, there isn't a proper law, but the hunting groups have all done this on their own. Sure, not everybody complies; however, the department fish and game is constantly preaching it in the field and have booths at all the trade shows.
edit on 10/13/13 by solomons path because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
The feds already banned some no lead hunting bullets as armor piercing ammo.

(B) The term "armor piercing ammunition" means -
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a
handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence
of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of
tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or
depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber
designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a
weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the
projectile.

codes.lp.findlaw.com...

Plus we still have a major ammo shortage and many hunters may find the shortage will leave them with no lead free ammo.

Plus some hunters use odd calibers that may never have lead free bullets made for them. and then you have the black powder people and there muzzle-loaders and the fact there are few ways around lead bullets for them.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   

LurkingRelentlessly
i wonder if these same supporters would vote to ban fluoride? since that too is such a terrible toxin. what about BPA? where is all the hooplah in CA to ban that?

Despite your valiant attempt to attach things to Democrat / liberal "do the best for everything" propaganda, what exactly does that have what to do with legal hunting and the use of non-"toxic" bullets in the 'off-season' so as to mitigate / minimalize negative after effects?

And please, describe in detail your rationale.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Recent studies have shown that being shot with a lead bullet can be bad for your health

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
and people are left with conversation pieces instead of weapons.

THey are not simply weapons.

They're already conversation pieces. Every one who has one, tells us that. They love them, they love them so. They're not dangerous, they're pretty and nice and cute and the history.. Oh the history.. it would make your heart bleed with pride how someone recites the history of their guns.

And when you've got guys with a cellar decked out with more guns than a small armoury, it's not because he wants to go hunting. It's so he can take you down and give you a tour.

I don't mind.. but they were already conversation pieces long before they were rendered slightly more expensive to use now you need to buy different ammo.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
This ban is to protect wildlife, correct?

In a reversal that has outraged environmentalists, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) announced it will not penalize a Southern California wind operator if its turbines kill or injure one California condor. One of the world's most critically endangered animals with fewer than 250 birds in the wild, the condor's range in the Tehachapi Mountains is being encroached on by intensive wind turbine development.

www.kcet.org...

It's bullspit to claim that this is about wildlife.

It's all about gun control. Plain and simple.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

the law it basically about stopping toxins affect nature so the comparison is obvious.
how exactly does your comment add to the conversation,thread nazi?

it seems this law only applies to hunting. i think you can use lead ammo at the range still

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Seventeen years after nontoxic shot requirements were established for hunting waterfowl, attention has shifted to lead poisoning in other species. These include upland game birds, scavengers (such as vultures, hawks and eagles) and other waterbirds that are exposed to lead through the ingestion of spent lead shot, bullet fragments and fishing sinkers.

Lead is a metal with no known biologically beneficial role, and its use in gasoline, paint, pesticides and solder in food cans has nearly been eliminated. Although lead shot was banned for waterfowl hunting in 1991, its use in ammunition for upland hunting, shooting sports and in fishing tackle remains widespread.

The most significant hazard to wildlife is through direct ingestion of spent lead shot and bullets, lost fishing sinkers, tackle and related fragments, or through consumption of wounded or dead prey containing lead shot, bullets or fragments.

www.nwhc.usgs.gov...

The ban for waterfowl hunting has been around a long time. Notice fishing tackle is also mentioned.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

it has nothing to do with the ammo itself but is a perfect parallel to the supposed moral grounds in which this law was based on.

the discussion is about the legislation passed, isnt it? hold on ill re-read the title and OP...

yep double checked, im in the right place.

or would you rather i just repeat the same statement everyone else is repeating about the availability of non-lead shots another dozen or so times??

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockerchic4God

I'm pretty sure the gun owners will use the bill for target practice.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

stop commercial trappers from catching and killing bobcats on private property without the consent of the property owner.

This part of the OP caught my attention....why?..because it is already illegal to hunt or trap on private property without written/verbal permission from the land owner. Not sure why they included that...unless I don't know what i am talking about,and it is perfectly acceptable in the state of California to walk on someone else's property with a loaded gun and set traps without there prior knowledge.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

While I understand your assertion that I'm off-topic, which has something to do with ATS not letting me start my own thread, I would argue it has EVERYTHING to do with it.

First, it has been discussed that this is (possibly) a small step (of many) in an event chain leading up to a complete disarm.

Second, try to paying attention rather than flaming others. If you can't do that, then at least try to post something ON topic and useful.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I guess the law-abiding citizens of California will have to stick to tungsten carbide, armor-piercing ammo then. Maybe this law ain't so bad afterall.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I will continue to use whatever I want living here in Ohio.(Some of the biggest deer in the country)

Although for hunting deer purposes(especially because of the massive overpopulation here in NE Ohio), bow hunting is much more profitable because you can hunt for like 3-4 months straight. All year round if you're a landowner.

Plus shooting a deer with a recurve or compound bow is so much more satisfying than with a shotgun!

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Gun ranges carry metal 22 rounds cheap, not as cheap as lead ammo but 2 clips worth for a few bucks. Its slightly more expensive. Not 3-6 a round. More like per clip. It's harder to get ballistics supposedly off metal rounds but they don't fragment either so it's about even.

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   

GEmersonBiggins
I just thought I'd add something I haven't seen anyone talk about. That is, the fact that the govt has already run tests/trials of disarming the public (e.g. Katrina/New Orleans). AFAIK, there wasn't a single person that stood up and fought back. No reports of anyone getting shot. No prying of any guns from cold, dead hands, as promised.

My point is that, for all the tough talk from gun owners, when the SHTF, everyone seems to give up their guns without any resistence. What makes me/us any different?

I'm not trying to talk smack here or offend anyone. I just happen to be one of those gun owners that believes I will (can?) stand up to anyone who attempts to disarm me. In light of what I've seen, now I'm not so sure. If 100% of gun owners back down, what makes me so special? Will 4 guys pointing rifles at me, screaming at me, simpy make me crap myself? Is that how they do it? I don't ever hear about anyone fighing back...ever.

Thoughts?

Hard outside, soft inside, like an egg.

Eggs are for eating

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Of course. Lead is a poison. Someone could get hurt from that !!!

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Phage
reply to post by GEmersonBiggins

Thoughts?

What does any of what you said have to do with using lead rounds while hunting?

What does any of your narcissistic, overly one-sided flamboyant Napoleon Syndrome have to do with why no one responds to you anymore? Oh wait... Go home. Leave. No one likes Little Man Syndrome trolls Phag.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join