It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 865,200 Gallons of Fracked Oil Spill in ND, Public in Dark for Days Due to Government Shutdown

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Over 20,600 barrels of oil fracked from the Bakken Shale has spilled from a Tesoro Logistics pipeline in Tioga, North Dakota in one of the biggest onshore oil spills in recent U.S. history.

Though the spill occurred on September 29, the U.S. National Response Center – tasked with responding to chemical and oil spills – did not make the report available until October 8 due to the ongoing government shutdown.

O ver 865,200 Gallons of Fracked Oil Spill in ND, Public in Dark for Days Due to Government Shutdown

I posted this as a response to another thread regarding new jobs in Texas.

So not to derail that thread and also not to have this story get burried as a comment I felt it needed its own thread.

Why?

Well aside from the fact that Hydrolic Fracking is horrible for the environment via injecting radioactive pollutents into the ground, ground water and wells. We also have to contend with this....

Another interesting article I read was that France has banned Fracking to protect their environment. Back in 2011 I believe....good on them!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
This is morally irresponsible on the part of the government. I understand that Obama seems to want to close things to make the public suffer as much as possible, but to slip this under the radar just because of the shutdown is reprehensible. Oil spills need to be reported ASAP and need to be handled as quickly. We cannot let partisan bickering come in between keeping the environment safe to live in. FOR SHAME both Republicans and Democrats!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Rosinitiate

Over 20,600 barrels of oil fracked from the Bakken Shale has spilled from a Tesoro Logistics pipeline in Tioga, North Dakota in one of the biggest onshore oil spills in recent U.S. history.

Though the spill occurred on September 29, the U.S. National Response Center – tasked with responding to chemical and oil spills – did not make the report available until October 8 due to the ongoing government shutdown.

O ver 865,200 Gallons of Fracked Oil Spill in ND, Public in Dark for Days Due to Government Shutdown

I posted this as a response to another thread regarding new jobs in Texas.

So not to derail that thread and also not to have this story get burried as a comment I felt it needed its own thread.

Why?

Well aside from the fact that Hydrolic Fracking is horrible for the environment via injecting radioactive pollutents into the ground, ground water and wells. We also have to contend with this....

Another interesting article I read was that France has banned Fracking to protect their environment. Back in 2011 I believe....good on them!

What is the percent of government still running? its around 80% rumor or polls have it. Guess this wasn't as important as making sure the public knew the it's the GOP or Obama's fault.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

I absolutely agree! We are being used (as always) as pawns in their political posturing and nothing more. This is a whole new level of moral depravity.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
It wasn't the shutdown that kept this out of MSM. Just like its not the shutdown keeping the Ok/Ks pipeline explosion out of MSM, the DC truckers protest out of MSM, the strong arm tactics by federal agents on citizens to keep us out of federal run lands out of MSM. This is the WH and his corporate sugar daddies/Masters using unnecessary and illegal tactics to make life hard for other just to get their way and we have to foot the bill for it. Follow the money on obamacare. Deny to your hearts content.
edit on 11-10-2013 by Hillbilly123069 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Wouldn't people notice a spill that large. Why would the government have to report it for it to be known.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Hillbilly123069

I'm not sure why Obama has to makes things difficult for the public whenever the Republicans get fussy and want something or don't want to do something that Obama does. That's like going up to your rival and telling him to do whatever you say and if he doesn't listen, turn towards the crowd of onlookers and start hitting them instead.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

The article does not indicate the reason for this spill
nor the time in utc that this happened

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Funny how global corporations are the big benefactors of this shutdown.

S&F & 2nd line.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

You gotta follow the links in the article.

This one does

The six-inch pipeline was carrying crude oil from the Bakken shale play to the Stampede rail facility outside Columbus, North Dakota. The affected part of the line has been shut down, Tesoro said.

Farmer Steven Jensen discovered the leak on Sept. 29 while harvesting wheat on his 1,800-acre farm, about nine miles northeast of Tioga, North Dakota.

Oil was gushing from the pipeline "like a faucet, 4 to 6 inches spewing out," said Jensen, who added that nearby wheat plants were ruined.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Now a im a little more convinced the government shutdown is all politicians coming together and ganging up on the people, holding the country hostage, saying "Look at how much you need us!"... Noone in america asked for a government shutdown, its pretty crazy how little the politicians in Washington care about the people.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

so a farmer discovered the leak???
doesn`t the fracking company inspect the pipes or have some way of detecting leaks?
If they are going to depend on farmers and people just passing by to discover and report leaks then we can look forward to a lot more spills.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

No kidding... You'd think they would have a system monitoring how much oil left point at and how much was being received at point B. If the two numbers don't match, well there just might be a problem somewhere in between the two. Several monitoring stations along the way would be smart. I have to think these are in place. Maybe no one was watching.

Ah... They only monitor 68% of the pipeline flow.

It also provides real-time monitoring of oil pipeline flows in the region, covering 68% of Bakken-related pipeline capacity.

Apparently, checking the dip-stick every 30 minutes is considered "Real Time"

In addition to providing pipeline flow data every 30 minutes and rail car counts daily

Real-time Bakken Data Service
edit on 10.11.2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Thank-you for this important post. I tweeted it on since the shutdown is keeping it almost unknown.

(I believe there are many people and corporations using this atrocious shutdown selfishly and behind the backs of our American people.)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Sounds like even the oil is trying to go back home and hide underground!! Even oil knows how stupid this shutdown is and dislikes the government....lol
edit on 10/11/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

It's my understanding that this pipeline was actually carrying shale oil which is some of the dirtiest oil around. It's full of sand and other abrasives that eat holes in the pipelines used to transport them. It's like getting continually sandblasted from the inside out until the pipe fails spewing oil everywhere.

We should expect a lot more of these types of spills in the future, especially if the Keystone pipeline is approved as it will be carrying more of the same. And to think that not one drop of it will be used for consumption here in America.

What a joke!!!!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

You think maybe the Oct 4th SD blizzard that killed thousands of horses and tens of thousand head of beef might have kept the oil workers inside?
This blizzard is the worst for livestock since 1896

beefmagazine.com...
www.giveblackhills.org...
bigballsincowtown.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.weather.com...
www.dailykos.com...
www.sott.net...

thesouthdakotacowgirl.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

soficrow

Funny how global corporations are the big benefactors of this shutdown.

S&F & 2nd line.

That's usually how it works out.
Shutting down the parks does not effect Big Business and the Big Banks.
It is only used as political BS against the little people.

You would not see them shutting down federally funded highways, interstates and ports because they need those to keep the china junk coming in their globalist utopia.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Hillbilly123069
It wasn't the shutdown that kept this out of MSM. Just like its not the shutdown keeping the Ok/Ks pipeline explosion out of MSM, the DC truckers protest out of MSM, the strong arm tactics by federal agents on citizens to keep us out of federal run lands out of MSM. This is the WH and his corporate sugar daddies/Masters using unnecessary and illegal tactics to make life hard for other just to get their way and we have to foot the bill for it. Follow the money on obamacare. Deny to your hearts content.
edit on 11-10-2013 by Hillbilly123069 because: (no reason given)

I absolutely agree. The point of me posting had nothing to do with govt. shutdown but the dangers of shale oil and the new fracking industry boom. Much damage has already occured in and around my area. I live right in the middle of marcellus shale region.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Antipathy17

Do you have that link about France banning fracking for environmental reasons in 2011? I would appreciate it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join