It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Jaw Dropping Facts About the Permian Basin

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by raiden12

You need to read up on GTL technology. They are now able to take natural gas and convert it into an ultra low sulphur diesel.

Our energy needs will not go away in our lifetime. They fuel the economies. But this thread is more about unemployed people getting down here for some work. ATS seems to have a lot of folks who are just struggling.

And it needn't be in the oilfield. Everything grows around the oilfield. So all manner of sectors are open and hiring.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Wow thanks for sharing BFFT. Although I don't agree with the proccess of hydrolic fracking and injecting radioactive chemicals into our drinking water. We have that issue up here in NE Pennsylvania. A new day a new polluted well.

That said, yes of course it innjects income into the area but it has its dowfalls as well. But for those desperate to feed their families it is a great opportunity. Same for those who just want solid income, you'll just have to overlook what you are doing to the local environment.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by raiden12

All stars for you, most people do not understand the concept of Peak Oil nor the social and economic implications of standing beyond Peak Oil. This seems a subject dear to you I would incentive you in doing an exposition on those subjects even in the sustainability of our demographics beyond Peak Oil since people forget that all in our world in dependent of cheap energy and to a degree of petrochemical sub-products. Weird days ahead in many fronts as everything will get harder and cost more...

I guess most people have by now forgotten the revolutionary effect of coal and the bonanza of cheap oil at its end we seem to be doomed (if nothing else materializes and fast) to, by this simple fact a slow civilizational decline that we in our hubris and ineptitude have managed even to steal the dreams and hopes of future generations...

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Thanks i will take a look at GTL, are there any EROEI results on this technology yet?

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

Panic, i did not write that piece, it was written by Chris Martenson of PeakProsperity.com. It is a good summary of the current situation with Shale Oil hence why i have posted it here. It was pasted more as an FYI as a good summary of the situation, however, i don't want to derail this thread into a discussion about peak oil.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

And it needn't be in the oilfield. Everything grows around the oilfield. So all manner of sectors are open and hiring.

Very True, Tejano....

I have an ex working in Odessa as a barmaid pulling in about 3k a week and I'm livin large from my leases in Lubbock.

A rising tide floats all boats...

Remember the old prayer back in the 90s in the oil patch.... "Please God, give us one more boom....we promise not to **** it up this time"

Looks like he was listening....
edit on 11-10-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Not only has horizontal drilling, combined with hydraulic fracturing, created a whole host of new good paying jobs, there will be oodles more jobs in the near future that will also be attributed to this new oil & gas boom.

Once we realize how much damage we've done to our atmosphere & water tables by utilizing these technologies to exploit even more fossil fuels as opposed to steering our efforts towards clean renewable energy sources, we'll be needing millions to clean up the mess.

How many people will it take to clean our nation's water supplies? How many will it take to clean our atmosphere? Did you know that "leaks" from less than 8,000 gas wells in the Dallas/Fort Worth area create more air pollution than all the automobiles in the metroplex area?

So I agree, if we stay on the path we're currently on, we should have plenty of good paying jobs in oil & gas exploration for quite some time.

Whether or not we'll have plenty of clean air to breathe and clean water to drink is another question entirely.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

raiden12

Thanks i will take a look at GTL, are there any EROEI results on this technology yet?

The early results....all from Dubai (from what I understand). However, a group of venture capitalists in America are wanting to build an improved facility in the gulf (Texas, Louisianna...Houston is the most likely target).

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Since we are on the topic of shale oil.....

O ver 865,200 Gallons of Fracked Oil Spill in ND, Public in Dark for Days Due to Government Shutdown

Over 20,600 barrels of oil fracked from the Bakken Shale has spilled from a Tesoro Logistics pipeline in Tioga, North Dakota in one of the biggest onshore oil spills in recent U.S. history.

Though the spill occurred on September 29, the U.S. National Response Center – tasked with responding to chemical and oil spills – did not make the report available until October 8 due to the ongoing government shutdown.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by WanDash

So i take it you are for neither the Permian Panthers OR the Lee Rebels? LOL

Panthers, Rebels, Bulldogs, Rangers, Buffalos (Buffaloes), Mustangs -- I don't really care. I think I've supported all of them in some way or another. Used to coach football, so it's not like I have anything against the fervor or fanatasism - but you have to admit - it is at fever-pitch in these parts.

I am familiar with the $10 & $14 & $15, $16, $17...etc jobs around here.
My favorite coffee shop was shut down because they couldn't get help (that would stay). They had more than enough business...
I'm not opposed to anyone coming here - but think it's a good idea to let them know a little more of what they're getting in-to.

Most other places, my income-level would afford a cushion that might eventually build...and that is taking the IRS into account.
Here - the IRS doesn't account for the higher cost of living...and taxes income at the same rate as in other areas where the cost of living (and the availability of scads-more-amenities) is FAR less. So - in a way - it evens out ( I suppose )...

The Permian Basin is no better or worse than any other place I've lived...in their reluctance to accept (welcome) outsiders.
If you (the outsider) have something that they (the locals) can take...you're welcome, until you run out of it.
Can't become homeless in Midland...
Have to go to Odessa to be homeless.

Unlike other places I've lived, though -- this area has seen numerous up and down spells.
They've experienced the downside of "expansion" numerous times...and are reluctant to take those risks during this "up" spell.
Which is why they are so far behind the demand-supply curve, this time. (imo)

But - my chief concern for the area is Water.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
i cry average income of 65,100 a year, let's calculate the average my income 25,000 and Abramovich 955 million and I am rich our with Abramovich average revenue 477,512,500 p.s. congratulation remove this oil pour into the hole as much drinking water, and your grandchildren will buy this water at the price of gasoline

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

mangust69
i cry average income of 65,100 a year, let's calculate the average my income 25,000 and Abramovich 955 million and I am rich our with Abramovich average revenue 477,512,500 p.s. congratulation remove this oil pour into the hole as much drinking water, and your grandchildren will buy this water at the price of gasoline

Not to seem rude, but that was totally unintelligible. you might try putting a period in there to break up the run on sentence. Who is Abramovich?

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

G,day mate. so much for peak oil and readers digest ranting on about running out of oil. that was back in the 1970's.
The tree hugging, wine sipping, inner city, hush puppy wearing, new age hippy wankers in Aussie, still run around waving their arms in the air like daffy bloody duck, saying, we are running out of oil. get out of your cars and start riding your push bikes.
Wish they would get on their bikes and bugga off.
ques. what kind of trucks u talking about that cost 80k.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

If I was only without children, BFFT.

I would be all over this.

I think my teenage daughter would hate me if I took her away from all her friends. When I took my daughter from her mother she had moved 9 times by the time she was 8. Right about now though, greener pastures is what I need.

S&F

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pronto

Typically, diesel pickup, often dually, always jacked and pimped out. I saw what must have been a driller or a landman (he was older) driving a brand new Ford Raptor with a custom lift/rims/tires and a whole bunch of other add ons.

we have one like this here, too:

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

sonnny1

If I was only without children, BFFT.

I would be all over this.

I think my teenage daughter would hate me if I took her away from all her friends. When I took my daughter from her mother she had moved 9 times by the time she was 8. Right about now though, greener pastures is what I need.

S&F

Well...I know a few folks in newspapers. not that i can leverage that for anyones benefit, other than reaching out for some networking and passing a resume through.

Hang in there.
Doing it for your kids is a pretty good reason.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

I actually spent a few years in Odessa. Not the sort of climate I prefer, but many really like it. My dad did. He was in computers, not oil, but oil is big business out there. The climate is semi-arid, very dry most of the time, and it's very flat. If you like that sort of climate, as many do, you might enjoy the area. The people were pretty friendly, and the schools were good. Now, I was there a LONG time ago, so I don't know what has changed in that regard. There is a lot of open sky, and football is VERY important to most living there. Nice to see that more jobs could come to the area.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

one year.quote: With annual revenue of 955 million dollars, he earns more than anyone else in the UK. Abramovich says he's too poor command of English to be interviewed. In fact, Abramovich does not like questions...it in my town dengi.59.ru... 30000 rouble or 1000$ month

edit on 13/10/13 by mangust69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Flatfish
Once we realize how much damage we've done to our atmosphere & water tables by utilizing these technologies to exploit even more fossil fuels as opposed to steering our efforts towards clean renewable energy sources, we'll be needing millions to clean up the mess.

What damage to our atmosphere and water tables? Define it.

What "clean renewable energy sources" are you talking about? Define "clean", define "renewable".

You presume there will be a "mess" that must be cleaned up. What kind of mess? Define that too.

This is about hydrocarbons, not "fossil fuels". No one is digging up coal here.

How many people will it take to clean our nation's water supplies?

Clean them of what? And what do you mean by "clean"?

How many will it take to clean our atmosphere?

Again, clean it of what? And again, how do you define "clean" when it comes to atmosphere?

Did you know that "leaks" from less than 8,000 gas wells in the Dallas/Fort Worth area create more air pollution than all the automobiles in the metroplex area?

So you think Natural Gas is an atmospheric pollutant? Why? You compare it to auto emissions. Which emissions, exactly, and why? Do you think they are similar, have the same effects, cause the same problems? What effects and problems are they causing, and how?

So I agree, if we stay on the path we're currently on, we should have plenty of good paying jobs in oil & gas exploration for quite some time.
As long as we have civilization, there will always be good paying jobs in the energy sector.

Whether or not we'll have plenty of clean air to breathe and clean water to drink is another question entirely.
Indeed. We can get back to this after you answer all those questions above.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I might have to go balls out and be homeless untill i can land a job down there and get a place to live.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join