It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a "Bridge" at the Horizon? Curiosity Sol 413-417

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I think your road is a little off.

There's some golden arches and Walmart signs over that mountain for sure.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Your "bridge" as seen at higher zoom, better detail, and in colour, by the Mastcam: mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

No S&F for you. :p

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a bridge for what?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Yup, here's the area with my own level adjustment and enlarged

It's very obviously just a different slope grade, and the 'supports' are areas of shadow.
edit on 10-10-2013 by onebigmonkey because: tyops

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by onebigmonkey

No bridge. Just your average graded dirt road. Haha

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Bilk22
Looks like a switchback being graded above, that the bridge will connect to

I noticed that also, it's quite apparent in the first picture.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
certainly looked like bridge.. on the other pic not so much
edit on 10-10-2013 by Alda1981 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
It's just a rock!.............. ok, a few rocks

Geology on mars sure is different than that of earth

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

zilebeliveunknown
The process is similar to when you drop something into a pool of water.

That's one way a mountain in a crater could have formed -- i.e., the impact rebound process.

However, in the case of Mt. Sharp (now officially known as Aeolis Mons), geologists think that it was formed after the formation of the crater, through a separate process.

Aeolis Mons consists of layers of strata, which indicates that it was built by a sedimentary process, layer by layer. Those layers seemed to have been laid down by both water and by wind . From what they could see from orbit, different sedimentary layers on Aeolis Mons/Mt Sharp exhibit characteristics of being laid down in both manners.

The theory goes that the crater was formed via an impact billions of years ago. Then water may have partially filled the crater, laying down layer upon layer of sediment over millions of years. Additional layers could have been laid down by the wind carrying sand (Mars is known for having huge sandstorms), totally filling in the crater with sediment.

After millions of years of this sediment filling the crater. After hundreds of millions or billions of years of erosion, the softer sedimentary layers began to wear away, but the harder crater still and the core of the sedimentary layers remained, leaving Aeolis mons/Mt. Sharp behind.

Image Source:
Wikipedia -- Aeolis Mons

Some geologists feel wind was the primary source of the sediments being laid down -- although they also see that water played at least some part:

Bizarre Mars Mountain Possibly Built by Wind, Not Water

NASA's idea that water played a part of the formation of Aeolis Mons was the primary reason that Gale Crater was chosen as the landing site for Curiosity. The base of Aeolis Mons has canyons with exposed rock strata/sedimentary layers that appear to be accessible by Curiosity. Their hope is for Curiosity to get right up against these exposed strata for a "hands on" investigation.

NASA wanted to study the layers of sedimentary rock strata to get a better understanding of the climate of Mars over time.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Arken
What kind of anomaly is This? From Sol 413 and 417 appear what seems to be a Big BRIDGE on the horizon, and with PYLONS, right in front of the Rover... Personally, I think that this anomaly worth a more detailed look...

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 9-10-2013 by Arken because: (no reason given)

Oh that? Thats just a typical rock on Mars. Its famous for odd shaped rocks.. Nothing to see here.

*end bad sarcasm*

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
My favorite is still the one guy who said there is a mall on the moon

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

covertpanther
Oh that? Thats just a typical rock on Mars. Its famous for odd shaped rocks.. Nothing to see here.

*end bad sarcasm*

Not a rock (nor does it look like a bridge), but it looks like it is simply an area of smoother soil, such as an area created by wind-blown sand or a wash of fine silty material down the slope of the hills to the left.

Here is a crop from the original image (without the green painted highlights added by the OP):

Full image:

Image source (larger hi-res image):

edit on 10/10/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Its NOT a bridge!

Seriously, stop posting silly things like this.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Good explanation, in the bottom of your zoomed picture is a massive black overhang . It looks out of place.

As for the road,if you follow it all the way up it seems to lead to some ruins,branches goes up and around the back of the hill. Thats if it is a road/stroke ruin.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Also,could the mt sharp be a volcano and gale crater be a collapsed magma chamber?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
good jpl eye's I'm surprised it wasn't washed/coloured out.
not surprising when there is plenty of evidence to debunk - excuse the double negative.
I'm thinking Sitchen got it right - right.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

NoRulesAllowed

Huge and underground...

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Arken

NoRulesAllowed

Huge and underground...

Seriously?? Out of ALL of the replies and you answer this one?

You always ignore what is right in front of you, LOGIC.

I wish your threads about rocks would just go away. You make a mockery of true anomaly researchers, at least the real ones listen to both sides! You just flat out ignore anything that doesn't go along with what you believe.

Like I have said before. I'd take you more seriously if everything you posted wasn't something HUGE. You zoom in on things and make it seem like it's some building or structure when it's just distortion from the pixels while zooming which many members have shown you yet you flat out ignore them. How can you be a true anomaly researcher if you ignore those comments and just go with the ones who agree with you?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I realize "space" is a big place, but don't you think, by now, they would have spotted something out there? I'm also curious to know, what is the fascination about space exploration, when our planet is being destroyed? I'm so confused as to why we waste our resources on nothing??? There's nothing out there. Yes! We are special. The only life, in all the Universe. Believe God and not in the men He created. History shows how evil man can be!

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

mblahnikluver

Arken

NoRulesAllowed

Huge and underground...

Seriously?? Out of ALL of the replies and you answer this one?

Sorry for non reply to other comments and posts. Unfortunately I'm really busy these months, and because, english is not my first Language, I have some difficult for a decent reply.

On my quote: Do you know the word "irony"?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join