It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The game of cultural differences....?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Lets play a game. It's called Cultural Diversity. This is something I was introduced to in this morning's anthropology course. It was fun in an odd sort of way.

There are just a couple ground rules. Your answers cannot be based on biologics. That is, physical requirement or need to sustain life and/or mental health. (Food or Companionship in general terms doesn't work). Answers can be anything that is within discretion of human beings and not a forced need of life.

So what are we looking at? Well this is so simple, many will jump up to answer....before realizing it isn't simple.

Question

Name one universal cultral value or standard. That's it. That's all you have to do.

Just one is what is needed, although more are welcome for tries. One would be good though. Universal means every culture, in general, agrees with it as a standard and/or value. (Let's say you cite the eating of Chocolate. Okay, There can be no culture who opposes or has opposed it. All must acknowledge it, for that to be universal. Obviously that wouldn't work as some haven't even heard of it.)

Now I'm at a bit of an advantage in that I saw how this plays out and what the ultimate answer is. Others here have played this out too, at some point, and if so, please don't ruin the ending. It's one of those I would never have believed...had it not come this way to see.

Good Luck to all who choose to try. Remember.. just one value that all cultures universally share.

edit on 9-10-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Existing.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

A collection of ground rules for the culture. Things like a taboo on incest, on killing of members, on theft from members.

All cultures have ground rules the members are expecfted to know and abide by.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Sorry just read OP properly! Duh
edit on 9-10-2013 by Lovely1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Never played this game, but upon thinking about the question and the rules........

There is no answer! We are all different. Even if you belong to a certain culture, everyone thinks differently and depending on our life experiences, we might have one thing in common with many, but another idea, or belief might throw you so out of sync, with your "tribe" that they just might exclude you.

So I guess in short, the only thing we have in common, culturally speaking, is that we are all individuals?? But dammit, would that fall into biological? Hell, I am stumped......guess I will have to follow along to get the answer

Interesting exercise Wrabbit!

Hmmmmmm, could it be that the answer is so simple that as humans we think entirely too much? Kinda like why magicians hate to perform in front of children, because they have no expectations, thus they can see what you don't want them too??
edit on 9-10-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Yes.. All cultures have rules. All groups of any living beings have rules as it's been fascinating to watch in class with groups/tribes of animals. Primates in particular are extremely advanced vs. what the media and movies portray. They actually have multi-year wars in some cases.. Still...

What rule, if any, is a universl cultural value/or standard shared..if any? You mention incest... That is one that came up in class, among others. Not universal though.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Provide Shelter for protection against predators and adverse weather conditions.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BardingTheBard

Ah sheesh, Wrabbit, This is asking for some thought here. However off the top of my head I would say funerals, cemeteries, burying/cremating the dead
edit on 9-10-2013 by aboutface because: have to bang on some keys

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Would it be Love?
That is one constant that all people feel or strive for.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Sharing.

The root of all cultures.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Ok I'll try again - the need for leadership in either physical or spiritual form

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Hmm... I tried to explain the same way the instructor did but I think I got it off somewhere important.

Companionship, love, shelter, food...are all by nature, universal because without them a person dies. Not so in the first case, but in plenty of studies to children in institutional settings, the lack of companionship to imposed isolation has clear and negative mental health impact, so apparently that's classed that way too.

Incest is one example to go with because it was among the first mentioned. I figured it was a bit shaky, but hadn't expected how shaky. As a cultural thing, it's semantics. What is incest? In the U.S., we have laws about 1st cousin marriage, for instance. In many places for arranged marriage, it's common to have 1st cousins marry.

I suggested Patricide or killing either parent...to learn some cultures have and still do forsake the elderly...although they don't see it that way.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Food

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Respect for elderly.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Ok, that makes sense.
I would have to go with control then. A populous and an individual may be controlled in a multitude of ways positive or negative.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

OK, since you have mentioned universal cultural shared value, and it can't be anything that is necessary to sustain life, I'll go with Communication.

We all have a singular and group need to talk to each other.

Or am I still

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Humans are social beings... we need to be part of the group like ATS

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Grief and loss, are universal and recognizable across cultures. Not sure I understand the contest, I tried. Also the appreciation of beauty. Even primitive societies decorate themselves or their possessions, homes. We seem as humans to desire beauty in our lives.

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Theft. In what culture is it acceptable to steal from your neighbor(your neighbor being part of your group)?

Murder, for the sake of murder. I don't mean capitol punishment or killing as a right of passage. Just killing someone because you want to.

edit on 9-10-2013 by kmb08753 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
subjugation.

Its needed in all viable cultures.
edit on 9-10-2013 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join