It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why become enlightened?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Why become enlightened?

This question is bothersome. Whomever is forced to answer such a question would then have to relate the myriad of selfish desires that might impel one toward wanting enlightenment—assuming they were of the honest variety of course.

What underlying currents of want and fancy is at work here? Is it the all-too-predictable desire for power? Is it the vain motivation to appear more powerful or "spiritual" than others? Is it to end one's own suffering and to live in various states of bliss and happiness?

Or is it for noble reasons—to ease humanity's woes, to help others—things that many less enlightened people strive for on a day to day?

Why become enlightened?

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Passes the time.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

Humans are conduits of a superconducting framework
which makes them part of the lifecycle of, in general
3 symbiotic elements, all of whom have their own
'agenda'.

As part of this rather 'cargo cultish' lifecycle, there
is a portion of it where a certain type of matter/lifeform
becomes especially 'radiant', right before it becomes
food for another part of the great cycle of life.

It is during this relatively brief transition phase, that
humans become confused that they are 'enlightened'.

So to answer your question; for the most part, and in
most cases, so-called 'enlightenment' is not for humans
at all.. but is rather a side effect of a another process,
which at first glance seems parasitic, but is in fact
not.

Are you glad you asked?

Now of course there are certain other configurations
or simply academic and personal maturity levels
that can simulate the 'enlightened effect'.

But I'm discussing the 'real deal' here.

What is your personal desire behind seeking the
information?

KPB

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Why does an apple tree grow apples? Because it's an apple tree and that's what it does.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Is there a difference between awoken and enlightenment ....I'm in the dark here.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
In my opinion, to become enlightened simply means to come out of ignorance and into knowledge. Why become knowledgeable? Because it sure beats the hell out of being totally ignorant.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

Nice....So being aware of the big picture dulls my enlightenment..I wish people around would get a grip...You did good

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
It's a great conversation starter at parties.

...and makes people laugh...

Å99

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Because we are light beings, it's natural to become, "enlightened"

It sets people free to receive abundant, eternal light

& sometimes they share some of the light with others
edit on 8-10-2013 by StopThaZionistWorldOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   

I'll tell you why.

It's a souls goal to become enlightened so it can brake the cycle of birth and death (reincarnation)

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Human desire for free will becomes a quest to find out who has taken it away when we realise we have no such thing.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Aphorism
Why become enlightened?

What underlying currents of want and fancy is at work here? Is it the all-too-predictable desire for power? Is it the vain motivation to appear more powerful or "spiritual" than others?

This had to be said, I don't think it applies to everyone involved, but certainly to most modern people who claim to have acheived enlightnment. I think the act of seeking enlightenment in a modest and humble way is far more beneficial to yourself and the world at large. Wether we're talking objective knowledge or spiritual development, there are far too many false summits for an honest seeker to be so arrogant as to claim to have reached to top.

That being said, I can remember being at school and studying the various religions. Most of the information was new to me, and although I found it all quite interesting I distincly remember Enlightenment having some sort of draw for me. It seemed like the only worthwile religious persuit. Similarly, I used to be obsessed with drawing pentagrams and various other stars, without knowing the history of the symbols.

I would hazard a guess that this is the collective un-concious communicating ideas which are at the heart of what it is to be (human?).

That or Satanic NWO mind control.

edit on 8-10-2013 by March of the Fire Ants because: to alter my post

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by March of the Fire Ants

LOL People who achieve enlightenment don't have any need to make it known, otherwise they wouldn't be enlightened.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by StopThaZionistWorldOrder

Well, I agree, that's kind of my point. I always think of Sting, doesn't he claim to be enlightened? I hate how smug he seems, arrogantly feigning humility. (Edit) Well I can't find anything about him claiming enlightenment, just that he does Yoga, swear I heard him say it on Jools Holland a few years ago. Never mind though, you see what I'm saying I'm sure?

More legitimate examples such as the buddha should perhaps be thought of in a different light, not totally sure why though?
edit on 8-10-2013 by March of the Fire Ants because: sting

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Everything people pursue is motivated by the desire for satisfaction.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

smithjustinb

Everything people pursue is motivated by the desire for satisfaction.

Satisfaction is the ultimate goal. Pursuing objects or situations that you believe will satisfy you makes moments of satisfaction rare. Learning how to be satisfied with things as they already are makes satisfaction eternal.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
by the time you reach 60, enlightenment has devolved into BS, but it remains a closely-held opinion, so as to not appear cranky

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Wallowing in all things of same-ness is the grounghog day that is hell. Evermore newness and expansion of consciousness is heaven.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

tkwasny
Wallowing in all things of same-ness is the grounghog day that is hell. Evermore newness and expansion of consciousness is heaven.

Wallowing in it is hell, but expanding your ability to be satisfied with it is not.

Overall, humans have not changed. We are what we've always been. We learned a lot, and I am not saying that is bad. Knowledge may be expanding, but what we are is not changing. How things are changes slowly. Waiting for change to happen in order to permit yourself to be satisfied makes you slow to be satisfied. Being satisfied with the here and now is not wallowing, it is peace.

posted on Oct, 8 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Enlightenment is Becoming, in a sense its either becoming your Higher Self or in communion or allignment with Higher Self, and is one of the highest goals here on earth. Most are working out family issues, and trying to overcome themselves, like in a school. This is when you overcome the issues of lower mind and body suit impulses to harm or be selfish/greedy/reactive/angry/warring/unequal, and start to develop higher mind skills, in other words, GROW UP, and see through the world. The actual enlightenment is about the natural awakening of your third eye, the thalamus region of the brain, not forced in a lower frequency, but openign like the lily or the lotus through refining self and service/compassion/helping/caring and overcoming your issues, anger. The parting of the red sea. And as Moses said, meditate: Be still and know the Lord. I myself don't like the translation that allows for "lord" for there is no thrones, lords, kings, pyramids, rank and file, in progression. Its Family and Equality and Love and Growth of all souls.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join